Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2014, 21:37   #601
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: OpenCPN General

There is an AIS-Radar plug-in but this is not required to show the AIS targets in the standard way.

- You will have to define the COM port the AIS is using (have a look at your online manual, the "?" button of the tool bar).
- And assure that no other program else is using the COM port of the AIS.
COM ports can't be shared.
- You have AIS targets at the place you are testing at, aren't you?

bcn
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 22:01   #602
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by onecue View Post
Is there any certification which means OpenCPN follow the IHO guidelines from public organizations for OpenCPN?

Do you refer to OCPN as a certified ECS in the sense of the IMO/IHO?
No - there isn't.

OpenCPN is committed to display correctly vector charts in the S57/S52 (including encrypted S57 in the S63 format).

Being free and open software any organisation (public or private) would be able to go through an homologation process if desired.
Changes applied to OpenCPN in this process would have to be brought back to the project.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:27   #603

Boat: Tiger Marine 48 feet motoryacht
Send a message via Skype™ to fboz

Yes
I do have targets in the Seattle area.

I have a gps using a com port and the
AIS receiver using another one. I will play around with the com ports if you think that is the problem and see what I come up with.

I did find a plug in and enabled it in open cpn but still no targets come up.

Happy to hear that you don't need that because i was chasing the wrong thing.

I have com 3 and com 4 enabled within open cpn but i did not find where you can specify which device uses which port.

any suggestions??
fboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:15   #604

Boat: vessel deliveries, west coast, N.A.
WINDOWS XP compatability w/ OpenCPN

I was surprised to see a note somewhere that WinXP is no longer being supported by OpenCPN...

Is that true or still true?

I've got an XP machine that would be great as a dedicated boat computer and it is too resource limited to upgrade to Win7 even, but it runs OpenCPN 2.x.x just fine. Then with a version of 3.x.x it blew up, figuratively.

Then, last week, as I was loading the latest version on the Nav PC on a delivery I noticed the "WinXP" mention on the help page.

I'm confused. What's the latest? I know a bunch of XP machines that could live a very useful life on a boat and not a landfill.

Capt. Jim Fuller
Yacht & Boat Delivery
captainjim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 15:25   #605

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: WINDOWS XP compatability w/ OpenCPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjim47 View Post
I was surprised to see a note somewhere that WinXP is no longer being supported by OpenCPN...

No, it is not true and I have never seen it mentioned anywhere. Or at least anyplace "offcial".
Win XP SP3 (You did update your operating system since April 2008, didn't you?) is required for OpenCPN 3.2 and later though due to it being required by the MS runtime we build against.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 16:17   #606

Boat: vessel deliveries, west coast, N.A.

Ok, thanks. I don't remember where I saw it, but it struck a chord as my Dell Lat 610D was barfing a lot on an early versions of 3.x.

I'll try it again with the latest.

I've got 6 to 8 thousand miles of delivery track, routes and waypoints on that laptop.

Thanks,
Jim

Capt. Jim Fuller
Yacht & Boat Delivery
capt.jim.fuller ^t gmail.com
captainjim47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 20:27   #607

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:

I've got an XP machine that would be great as a dedicated boat computer and it is too resource limited to upgrade to Win7 even, but it runs OpenCPN 2.x.x just fine. Then with a version of 3.x.x it blew up, figuratively.

Then, last week, as I was loading the latest version on the Nav PC on a delivery I noticed the "WinXP" mention on the help page.

I'm confused. What's the latest? I know a bunch of XP machines that could live a very useful life on a boat and not a landfill.

Capt. Jim Fuller
Yacht & Boat Delivery
If your old puter runs xp, it will probably run Ubuntu or some other flavor of linux. And OCPN works nicely with linux. If you have never messed with Linux before, I recommend ubuntu. Very easy to install and learn. Did I mention it is free? Open source. Like OCPN. Big user base, so lots of help getting started.
Old 14-08-2014, 11:45   #608
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Capt. Jim Fuller
Yacht & Boat Delivery
For a dedicated nav pc, I suggest to abandon XP and use a dedicated marine operating system as described in the Opencpn user manual
OpenCPN User Manual

It comes with Opencpn and a lot of other nautical tools ready to use. Even a old PIII processor pc will feel blistering fast with this OS.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 20:12   #609

I use a dedicated XP computer on my boat, with open Cpn 3.2 + Gradar 1.4, i have used all of opencpn all the way to Opencpn 3.2 for years, i also have windows XP on 2 backup computers with Opencpn + Gradar 1.4 , i have had no problems with Windows XP at all.
rontom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 13:15   #610

Boat: Defender 27

Hi,

I am new forum user from Poland.
I used OpenCPN with Verlag maps in this summer.
That is great and impressive. Great thanks!

I decide to register because I found a very curious seller on ebay
canvas_select_prints | eBay

He is very shifty.
He sell on ebay recorded cdrom only. On each auction he said:
<<
TO BE TOTALLY CLEAR
YOU ARE BUYING A CD's/DVD's AND NOT THE CONTENT

>>
But he forgot to write that he accidentally recorded on that cdrom freeware OpenCPN software.
He never use a name OpenCPN in his detailed description.
This is outrageous.

Best Regards

Jurek W.
10nano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 15:46   #611

Hopefully this is the correct forum to place this...
I'm a new user to OpenCPN so may have overlooked something. I'm having a problem with the tide station viewer. It shows (Southeast Alaska) Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka, but none of the dozens more that are available. The currents show up fine. I tried adding ta link for WXTides which I know has local info, but nothing changed. The I can see that Northern British Columbia stations appear to be represented. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance - Bill
ak_troller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 19:55   #612

I got it to work with the Beta version and WXTides.
Thanks! Bill
ak_troller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 15:36   #613

Hi, does anyone know whats happening to the weather routing plugin? i saw screen prints about it on the web but since i managed to get some files it does not work on the opencpn version i have.

Either the weather routing does not show up in the plugin list or the climatology don't. Never both at the same time.
chris2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 15:57   #614

Boat: Phantom 19

Chris...
The question is simple: which opencpn version you have?

Pavel

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:55   #615

Hi all!!!

I am new to this forum. I have had Ocpn for many years now on my PC at home. I have had plenty of fun with it, but no real navigation playtime. I am now thinking of using it on my dinghy on a tablet with some wind instruments.
So, my questions are:
1. Do I prefer a W8 tablet? (I am not a Linux guy, and from what I understand I would have to compile it myself on an android), or do I go for the android and climb the learning ladder from step one?
2. Will it work with modbus weather apparatus or does it have to be nmea? (has anyone made modbus work and how do you connect?)
3. Is the built in gps utilized or do I have to have an external gps puck?

If all these have been answered before (and I am pretty sure they have) could you please point me to the answers? If not I would be grateful if anyone would answer me.

Sorry if this is an over-discussed topic these questions are out of place. Noob here!!!
Thanx for you time .
mihari is offline   Reply With Quote