Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 17:27   #916

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN General

CarCode what do you suggest doing about this?
So how do you install your own software? Are you a registered developer?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 19:09   #917

Boat: Valiant 42

Jim,

You have to first be sure you are getting GPS data from your GPS device. Open the NMEA debug window within the connections settings page. Tell us what you see in the NMEA debug screen.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 21:46   #918

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
CarCode what do you suggest doing about this?
So how do you install your own software? Are you a registered developer?
Yes, I am.
And I suggest someone of your team join the Apple developer community to get the needed information for a better macOS version of OpenCPN. There is still no installer available for OCPN while it is for most of the plugins. Also there are nice update solutions like Sparkle available which makes a more professional behavior of the software.
Sadly I couldn't help because I don't use all these deprecated third party stuff used in the official version of OCPN. My own version has to run with the latest macOS version High-Sierra (10.13.1).

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:08   #919

Could you please start tagging the releases in git again and/or provide release tarballs with checksum/pgp signatures. It is somewhat hard to package release versions of opencpn when you are not providing any good way at getting the code.
Mr.Elendig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:57   #920

Gerhard, you'd be the logical one to do this!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:21   #921

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Jim,

You have to first be sure you are getting GPS data from your GPS device. Open the NMEA debug window within the connections settings page. Tell us what you see in the NMEA debug screen.
All I see is the filter window which is blank and below that there's a legend message accepted input message etc etc.

On the charge screen I have a green boat with a little brown square at its bow and it is not anywhere near where I am

On my bu 353s4 screen I have almost all the bars satellites lit up power save on and the comport Prolific USB to serial Comm Port come for which is the same as the chart.

Okay the debug window is doing something now all the sudden so I'm going to sit and wait for it to finish doing whatever it does I don't know what it's doing. I guess it's debugging.

The debug window is still running for about 20 minutes nothing in the filter window so I guess I'll just let it run for a while maybe it's looking for something.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:38   #922

Jimske,

The GPS device can only talk to one program at a time. If you are using the software designed for the BU GPS then OpenCPN cannot also use it. You have to shut down the BU software. But first make sure the BU device is configured to output NMEA 0183 data. Then don't use the BU software. Tell OpenCPN which serial port and baud rate the BU device is using and it should work. But you can't use both programs at the same time.

Have you read the user manual section about how to use GPS devices with OpenCPN?
Old 03-10-2017, 04:43   #923

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Jimske,

The GPS device can only talk to one program at a time. If you are using the software designed for the BU GPS then OpenCPN cannot also use it. You have to shut down the BU software. But first make sure the BU device is configured to output NMEA 0183 data. Then don't use the BU software. Tell OpenCPN which serial port and baud rate the BU device is using and it should work. But you can't use both programs at the same time.

Have you read the user manual section about how to use GPS devices with OpenCPN?
Boom!! Yeah I think it's just talking to one device which is the copencpn. All the sudden when I close the debug window it sure enough put my boat right where it is right now at City Island New York. So I guess I'm good to go

Program looks really nice to use thank you all so much I hope it continues to work for me.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:50   #924

Glad you got it to work.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41   #925

What are the little triangles all over the chart with the asterisks inside of them? I can't see where to access them.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:28   #926

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
What are the little triangles all over the chart with the asterisks inside of them? I can't see where to access them.
Try to un-check "Quality of data" from "Mariner's Standard" list in Tools - Options - Charts - Vector Chart Display.
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:20   #927
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

And have the NOAA Chart N° 1 at hand.
All charts objects and their presentation are there well documented and explained.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:22   #928

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
On paper charts there is usually a source diagram showing the dates of the survey of different parts of the area covered by the chart. If the source is from ,say 1850, we know that it's an unreliable lead-line survey. On the other hand if it's a recent survey done with a multi-beam sounder it's a quite reliable chart.

The same info is present in modern vector charts, but in a different format.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rty.png
Views:	133
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	157270

This is essential info about the reliability of the chart. At the same time you definitely don't want to see this info all the time.

To see this info in OpenCPN you have to activate "Chart Information Objects" in vector settings.

This feature is like made for it's own shortcut key.

Almost always when this feature comes up in the forum, users want to get rid of the triangles, and we just tell them how to do that.

This subject needs better documentation in the manual. As it is now the FAQ tells you how to get rid of the triangles...... and Vector Chart Settings just mentions the quality vaguely.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25   #929

Boat: Najad 34

I'm preparing a OpenCPN demonstration to a cruising association. Boastful data are often fun. Do we have any download statistics from opencpn.org for the core OpenCPN as such or even divided for Win/Linux/Mac and of course from Google play as well if present?

Thanks
Håkan
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 15:19   #930

Cagney, move it if you want. You're an Editor/Manager. Its easy.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do..._over_my_chart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
On paper charts there is usually a source diagram showing the dates of the survey of different parts of the area covered by the chart. If the source is from ,say 1850, we know that it's an unreliable lead-line survey. On the other hand if it's a recent survey done with a multi-beam sounder it's a quite reliable chart.

The same info is present in modern vector charts, but in a different format.

Attachment 157270

This is essential info about the reliability of the chart. At the same time you definitely don't want to see this info all the time.

To see this info in OpenCPN you have to activate "Chart Information Objects" in vector settings.

This feature is like made for it's own shortcut key.

Almost always when this feature comes up in the forum, users want to get rid of the triangles, and we just tell them how to do that.

This subject needs better documentation in the manual. As it is now the FAQ tells you how to get rid of the triangles...... and Vector Chart Settings just mentions the quality vaguely.

Thomas