Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 10:55   #1336

Boat: Sceptre 41
Mac help needed- plugin won't display

Hi all,
I am trying to add plugins and have not had success.
I'm on a Macbook running Catalina 10.15.2
Running OpenCPN 5.0.0+9065270
I have downloaded the Celestial Navigation plugin and successfully installed it after closing OpenCPN.
When I open Options>plugins the 4 plugins included with OpenCPN are there but Celestial Navigation is not.
I've searched for a solution but have had no luck. Thanks in Advance!
Dick

A portion of the logfile...

11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager: plugins loading from /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns
11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns
11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
11:45:17 MST: Error: dlopen(/Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib, 2): Symbol not found: __ZN12wxWindowBase19SetVirtualSizeHintsEiiii
Referenced from: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
Expected in: flat namespace
in /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
GoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:28   #1337

Boat: Norseman 447cc
Re: OpenCPN General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrmundi View Post
Does anyone know if there is an interface for OpenCPN to download and display Activecaptain data and/or Waterway Guide data?

No, but there is a sQuiddio plugin which has crowd sourced information similar to what Activecaptain has. I've only used on the east coast of the US but there is plenty of good information in there.
svspirited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:01   #1338

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Mac help needed- plugin won't display

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFar View Post
Hi all,
I am trying to add plugins and have not had success.
I'm on a Macbook running Catalina 10.15.2
Running OpenCPN 5.0.0+9065270
I have downloaded the Celestial Navigation plugin and successfully installed it after closing OpenCPN.
When I open Options>plugins the 4 plugins included with OpenCPN are there but Celestial Navigation is not.
I've searched for a solution but have had no luck. Thanks in Advance!
Dick
A portion of the logfile...
11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager: plugins loading from /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns
11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns
11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
11:45:17 MST: Error: dlopen(/Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib, 2): Symbol not found: __ZN12wxWindowBase19SetVirtualSizeHintsEiiii
Referenced from: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
Expected in: flat namespace
in /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
11:45:17 MST: PlugInManager: Cannot load library: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/PlugIns/celestial_navigation_pi/libcelestial_navigation_pi.dylib
When you visite the download page
https://www.opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloads.html
you will see:
1. Your OpenCPN version is outdated, you need version 5.0.1 for macOS.

2. Actually there is no Celestial Navigation plugin available for versions 5.x and macOS.

Sadly there is always a great mismatch with versions of the main program and plugins and regarding the last attemps of development it seems to become even worse now...
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 20:46   #1339

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Mac help needed- plugin won't display

Thanks CarCode, I'll update the version and try some different plugins
-Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
When you visite the download page
https://www.opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloads.html
you will see:
1. Your OpenCPN version is outdated, you need version 5.0.1 for macOS.

2. Actually there is no Celestial Navigation plugin available for versions 5.x and macOS.

Sadly there is always a great mismatch with versions of the main program and plugins and regarding the last attemps of development it seems to become even worse now...
GoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 13:19   #1340

Boat: Santana 37
Getting Charts on OpenCPN

Hello,

I've installed OpenCPN and used the chartdownloader to download US West Coast Charts, but when I download European charts (through OpenCPN's suggested websites) they show as being downloaded, but I can't view them.

For example, the Netherlands. I've downloaded the whole catalog, but only about 8 charts show up as red squares (which I can view). All the other dozens of charts show up as green squares and I can't view them.

Anybody know how to fix this?
sailscubasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 13:31   #1341
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Raster charts (red outlines) and vector charts (green outlines) can't be quilted. They will not show up at the same time.

On the chart bar (bottom, the chart "piano") click on one of the green rectangles.
What happens? And zoom in...
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 17:01   #1342

Boat: Valiant 42

You can show raster (blue keys) charts and vector (green keys) at the same time by using dual chart mode. Show raster on one side and vector on the other side.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 03:09   #1343

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by svspirited View Post
No, but there is a sQuiddio plugin which has crowd sourced information similar to what Activecaptain has. I've only used on the east coast of the US but there is plenty of good information in there.

I tried out sQuiddio plugin. Am I missing something? I don't see reviews or useful information like navigation, services, prices. Only statistics of visits, many photos, and very, very basic info. For instance, see Dinner Key Marina in Miami.
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:12   #1344

We have just installed Open CPN for the first time on a new (and new to us) Raspberry Pi. We’re having problems with the date and time. The Raspberry Pi will not maintain the date and time when it is shut off and we cannot find a way to get Open CPN to look at the date/time info coming in on the GPS feed for its date/time info. From what we can see it will only look at the date/time on the computer that is hosting the Open CPN and then, if necessary, adjust this depending on whether what we tell the Raspberry Pi about the Locale etc.

Is there a way for Open CPN to take its date/time from the incoming GPS feed and, if so, can anyone explain how we tell it to do so?
Nicky Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:37   #1345

Boat: Valiant 42

Yes, OpenCPN can set the date from GPS. But it only sets if the current system time is “close” to GPS.

What function do you need GPS time for? Dashboard has multiple types of GPS calibrated clocks.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:02   #1346

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Add one of these to your laptop to get GPS and your boat to show in realtime.

USGlobalsat BU-353-S4 USB GPS Receiver

Be sure to install the driver that comes with it, as the default one that comes with Windows loads OK, but doesn't actually work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcrist View Post
I'm a new OpenCPN user using Windows 10. Looks promising! I just wanted to see charts and waypoints using my laptop, rather than using the Garmin that's on the boat. Got the charts working and imported my fishing waypoints in the Florida Keys. I don't want or know how to interface my GPS to my laptop. My problem is the program thinks "my ship" is in South Carolina or someplace. All my waypoints are 500+ miles from "my ship". How do I set the current ship location to where my dock is? Thanks for your help!
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 17:10   #1347

Boat: Compass 28

I bought the Andriod app to use on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A about a year ago, but have found it to be not a patch on the Windows version on my netbook.

Can anyone advise if this is due to the app itself or is it due to my tablet? Has the app been updated?

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 13:06   #1348

Thanks Transmitterdan. Our Open CPN is currently only taking its date/time from the Raspberry Pi on which it is hosted. Our Raspberry Pi will only update its clock time when it has a wifi internet signal. After that, provided that we keep it powered, it will maintain the date/time but if we switch it off and then, later switch it back on, it shows the date/time as the time at which it was switched off. Of course, if at that point you have a wifi/internet signal it will update itself to show the correct date/time. However, at sea or in remote anchorages, there is no wifi/internet ...... We want a correct (UTC) date/time so that the tidal height and tidal stream displays shown on the charts show correctly without necessarily having to double click on the icon and go into the graphical data.
Nicky Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 13:18   #1349
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
I bought the Andriod app to use on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A about a year ago, but have found it to be not a patch on the Windows version on my netbook.

Can anyone advise if this is due to the app itself or is it due to my tablet? Has the app been updated?

Cheers, Graeme
The actual Android App is based on OCPN 5.0 - up-to-date.
What are you missing - if I understand your question correctly?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 15:51   #1350

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Barker View Post
We have just installed Open CPN for the first time on a new (and new to us) Raspberry Pi. We’re having problems with the date and time. The Raspberry Pi will not maintain the date and time when it is shut off and we cannot find a way to get Open CPN to look at the date/time info coming in on the GPS feed for its date/time info. From what we can see it will only look at the date/time on the computer that is hosting the Open CPN and then, if necessary, adjust this depending on whether what we tell the Raspberry Pi about the Locale etc.

Is there a way for Open CPN to take its date/time from the incoming GPS feed and, if so, can anyone explain how we tell it to do so?
The Pi doesn't have a real-time clock, so it doesn't keep time through a power cycle. There are several options:

The OpenPlotter install of OpenCPN includes a utility that sets the Pi clock from the GPS signal. I don't know exactly what pieces you need or exactly how it works, but it has worked flawlessly for us. Every reboot the Pi time gets set from GPS, all automatic, we don't do anything. I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what it's doing (don't hold your breath, may be a couple of days). Or take a look at installing OpenPlotter.

You can add a real-time clock to the Pi. There are several versions, I have used this one for other Pi projects. Really easy, just install a coin battery and push it onto the GPIO pins. Small enough that it doesn't change the fit in most Pi cases, but that will depend on what case you have (if you have one).

You can manually set the time in the Pi operating system each time you reboot before opening OpenCPN. Not knowing your interface there may be an easier way, but from command line:

Quote:
sudo date -s '2014-12-25 12:34:56'
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote