Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 00:36   #271

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473
Re: OpenCpn install on android tablets easier now.

Gentlemen, what an interesting and wide range of responses to my original question. One point that I should have made at the outset is that the Nexus 7 has an accurate and fast acting GPS engine built into it, which makes it an ideal platform for this type of software. And its size/endurance/readability in strong sunlight all make it much more useable above deck than my relatively clunky laptop. Now, if I can wend my way through all the suggestions... thanks everyone.
Old 03-07-2013, 19:04   #272

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

I decided to have a try at this despite being a Linux dweeb.
Bought a Nexus 7. Unlocked the boot, and rooted OK. Downloaded Linux deploy, now I'm lost.
Instructions say;
I had trouble trying to install combinations other than Debian XFCE. So, at this time I recommend installing Debian Squeeze or Wheezy and the XFCE window manager. These Debian versions are known to permit successful installations of not only OpenCPN, but zyGrib too. As of June 17, 2013 I have successfully installed zyGrib from Squeeze repository using apt. The following is probably no longer necessary but left here just in case... Use libqtcore4 from repository, qwt-6.0.1 and zyGrib-6.1.0 source code with Squeeze. For Wheezy install qwt and qt from repository with apt-get (per Cruisers Forum member sevanopula). Compile and install zyGrib version 5.1.4. I recommend you create a loop filesystem sized to 8 gigabytes!!. This is because you will be downloading a lot of development files/utilities, may want to experiment with more than one window manager and choose to install nav. charts within the Linux filesystem. Alternatively you may prefer installing them on an external micro sd card in order to free space in internal memory.

Follow instructions provided in the Linux Deploy GUI to create a loop filesystem, install the distribution and Window Manager.

There are Instructions on the Linux Deploy GUI? And Compile and install zyGrib? How do I do that?
When I try to run Linux Deploy with the settings I think are right, I get;
Checking Mount Points.....fail
What now? Any chance of some more detailed instructions, or am I just Stupid?
Thx
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 19:47   #273

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

No your not stupid. Your insane. Imagine you never saw a computer and someone said this to you. "Use libqtcore4 from repository, qwt-6.0.1 and zyGrib-6.1.0 source code with Squeeze. For Wheezy install qwt and qt from repository with apt-get (per Cruisers Forum member sevanopula). Compile and install zyGrib version 5.1.4. I recommend you create a loop filesystem sized to 8 gigabytes!!."!!!
This has somehow taken the place of a chart. And a pair of dividers. I like to use computers too, but this is, well I don't know. And that may be a good thing. Your not really insane. It just sounds crazy.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 20:03   #274

Ok, constructive replies please! It's not a debate about the merits of electronic charting. I'm sure that once I get a grip on the Linux part it will be fine. AND, this is only a test system, possibly to be used to backup the real electronic charting aboard.

I don't see the andriod (or any other tablet) taking over from the primary PC based system, which also runs the Autopilot, Radar, Instruments, etc, etc.. But as a backup, or portable unit to take with me to other vessels, then it certainly has merit! Now, if I could just make it go!
Old 03-07-2013, 20:22   #275

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

I'm not saying it has no merit. I'm buying a Pantec waterproof deal this month. I'm just saying there's no way around it, it sounds crazy. And I would not dream of trusting my loved one, (the boat) to such a gadget. Use the gadget, but bring a book, and a chart.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 00:58   #276

OK, made some progress. Deleted Linux deploy, installed again. It worked! Not sure what happened the first time.
Got OPen CPN going, but could not use the mouse inside the opencpn window?
Restarted the tablet, now get mount fail again
To those of you who have this operating, is it stable?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37   #277

Could be that your system is mounted read only.

Download 'remount' from Google Play. Once installed click on the word 'remount'. Your system will be remounted read-write.

When you are finished using OpenCPN make sure you exit all programs properly, disconnect akRDC and press the square 'stop' button in Linux Deploy.

Wrong
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:38   #278

Also, what kind of mouse are you trying to use?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:40   #279

Regarding the installation instructions. I've visited the link and the instructions have been edited in response to your complaints.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:43   #280

Boat: Phantom 19

Hi,
Armido has updated and clarified the instructions at Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage especially regarding zyGrib. Let's hope they will be more understandable from now on

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:08   #281

Pavel,

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:47   #282

Respecting the fact some people will encounter problems installing necessary files and OpenCPN on their android device, I have adopted this thread.

One file that may not be mentioned when you are following instructions to root your device is 'Super Su'. If attempts to mount your Linux system fail, it may be because this file is missing. It can be downloaded from Google Play. Every time you start a program needing access to the root filesystem Super Su launches asking for your consent... No consent, no start...

Wrong
Old 11-07-2013, 09:50   #283

For additional information using Linux Deploy to create a linux system image, install a linux distribution and window manager in preparation for installing OpenCPN see this thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-107226.html
Old 18-07-2013, 14:50   #284

A warning to those of you who own Xoom MZ-601 models. When following these links [ROM][4.2.2] My Android 4.2 for Xoom Wi-Fi (20130217) - xda-developers and [ROM][4.2.2 JDQ39 AOSP] Eos 4.0 -- Umts_Everest - xda-developers , do not install a ROM more recent than #170. There are problems with #171 and #172. Some say these ROMs work following a factory reset and full wipe, but I still recommend you stick with #170 until further notice.
Old 22-07-2013, 01:19   #285

OK guys, got a bit more time to look into this. I've now got it all going, including the internal GPS! One issue to go. How can I copy the charts across to the Linux system? I'm not familiar with Linux file systems, so it might be very basic...

Tags
opencpn