Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 07:16   #661

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: OpenCPN Internationalization ( i18n )

Gilletarom,
I use also the wxstd.mo which is part of the wxWidgets sources and which translates the standard phrases like "Yes" or "No". The wxWidgets sources includes po files for any language.
I don't know why it is never used in OpenCPN but it solves many questions like this.
Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 10:31   #662
NAV

Dutch language files for OpenCPN 3.3.1328
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn_nl_NL_3.3.1328.zip.doc (56.1 KB, 72 views)
NAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 12:46   #663

Italian language for 1328.

Ciao, Marco.
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn_it_IT_1328_1.zip.doc (43.0 KB, 49 views)
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 13:51   #664

Boat: Najad 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Gilletarom,
I use also the wxstd.mo which is part of the wxWidgets sources and which translates the standard phrases like "Yes" or "No". The wxWidgets sources includes po files for any language.
I don't know why it is never used in OpenCPN but it solves many questions like this.
Gerhard
Interesting. And how do you use it? I'm pleased if you'll like to describe.
Thanks Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 14:06   #665

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Carcode, Hello Hakan ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Interesting. And how do you use it? I'm pleased if you'll like describe.
Thanks Håkan
For Carcode: I was getting ready to ask you the same question Hakan.

1 What wxstdmo?
2 You write: "I do not know why it is never used in OpenCPN purpose it solves Many issues like this." .... Sorry, I do not Understand what you said.

For Hakan: How Do You realize what you explain in the post # 659 in this thread?

Thank by advance. Gilletarom.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 01:46   #666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Interesting. And how do you use it? I'm pleased if you'll like to describe.
Thanks Håkan
Because I use also Mac specific menu items in my private OCPN version which are not translated otherwise I have included in chart1.cpp:

Code:
#ifdef __WXOSX__
    if( plocale_def_lang ) plocale_def_lang->AddCatalog("wxstd");
#endif
after the line:

Code:
if( plocale_def_lang ) plocale_def_lang->AddCatalog( loc_lang_filename );
The wxstd.mo file is where the other .mo files are.

Gerhard
Old 30-01-2014, 04:36   #667

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hakan,

I am interested in a more complete description of how you do this. I think that description should go in the developers manual under internationalization and am willing to do that I if you can augment (add to) this and any other part of the process. Does this description seem complete to you? Internationalization | Official OpenCPN Homepage.
Thanks. Rick

Quote:
Missing words in Beta 3.3.1328
The following words are missing in the pushed "opencpn.pot":
"Marks" , "TideCurrentGraphRollover" and "AISTargetQuery".

I found the missing _("")-strings in the following files witch needs to be included into "POTFILES.in"
src/AISTargetQueryDialog.cpp
src/RolloverWin.cpp
src/RoutePoint.cpp

When I included these files in my "POTFILES.in" and updated the .POT file the missing words and some more I haven't recognised where ready for translation in the .po file.

Håkan
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 05:19   #668

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Hakan,

I am interested in a more complete description of how you do this............Rick
Rick..
Well - I used different methods. My nice one is where I've an Excel VBA macro to look into the opencpn.git\scr directory and for every file there I look into POTFILES.in and see if it's listed there. If not I search for the missing "String" in the source file. If found I make a note in the Excel sheet. Then I continue to look in every source file. (For the moment I assume all strings to be translated are present in a source file. But since POTFILE.in also includes headers that's obviously not correct)
But that method is not the best. The best would be to search for every location of: [_("] or [_( "] because then I don't need to know what string I'm seraching for. But for some reason I can't bring up VBA to find a "(". Neither with a chr() nor the escape code. (Appreciate any hints) So this method is probably nothing to forward.

The other straightforward but more boring is to simply manually search for the known missing word in all files. Either using VC10 or the operation system file search method. And when found have a look in the file if it's a _("String"). If so - check if the source file is listed in the POTFILES.in. If not you have the answer.

Was this explanatory or mostly confusing? (I know my English can sometimes be a challenge for the reader)

Håkan
Old 30-01-2014, 05:25   #669

Quote:
Because I use also Mac specific menu items in my private OCPN version which are not translated otherwise I have included in chart1.cpp:.............
Gerhard
Many thanks... Nice!... I'll have look. (First I've to get rid of some newly-fallen snow from the roads around.)
Håkan
Old 30-01-2014, 05:37   #670

An interesting thing in my environment is the fact that sometimes the translation does come from other *.mo files as expected. I do have actually 17 *.mo files for all the different plugins and for OpenCPN of course.
Example:
The string "Next" is already translated in another *.mo file with another text in german than the german text I want to have in another source file. So I get the wrong translation when I don't include a pointer in that source file again to the right *.mo file.
But this happens only with duplicate strings somewhere.

Gerhard
Old 30-01-2014, 06:31   #671

Quote:
Well - I used different methods. My nice one is where I've an Excel VBA macro to look into the opencpn.git\scr directory and for every file there I look into POTFILES.in and see if it's listed there. If not I search for the missing "String" in the source file. If found I make a note in the Excel sheet. Then I continue to look in every source file. (For the moment I assume all strings to be translated are present in a source file. But since POTFILE.in also includes headers that's obviously not correct)
But that method is not the best. The best would be to search for every location of: [_("] or [_( "] because then I don't need to know what string I'm seraching for. But for some reason I can't bring up VBA to find a "(". Neither with a chr() nor the escape code. (Appreciate any hints) So this method is probably nothing to forward.

The other straightforward but more boring is to simply manually search for the known missing word in all files. Either using VC10 or the operation system file search method. And when found have a look in the file if it's a _("String"). If so - check if the source file is listed in the POTFILES.in. If not you have the answer.
Thanks it is very helpful. You also show the possibility of a better way to find missing translation words. I will try to add this to the dev doc.
Old 30-01-2014, 06:40   #672

hello all,

Quote:
An interesting thing in my environment is the fact that sometimes the translation does come from other *.mo files as expected. I do have actually 17 *.mo files for all the different plugins and for OpenCPN of course.
Example:
The string "Next" is already translated in another *.mo file with another text in german than the german text I want to have in another source file. So I get the wrong translation when I don't include a pointer in that source file again to the right *.mo file.
But this happens only with duplicate strings somewhere.

Gerhard
That is a recurring problem in OpenCPN.

There is a year or two, Pavel Nohal agreed, gently, to replace an item by another in the language file to WMM because the French translation could not be the same as the one used in the general file .

For example, in the current general file, there is "Options". "Options" has replaced the "Toolbox" there awhile.
In France, to link with the regulars and to solve problem update tutorials (Pleasure-Practice and Shoreline among others) we translated "Options (Toolbox)." But here Sean Epagnier uses of the item "Options" in its plugins. Result is a mess of plugins.

Pfuuuu .... I will remove the reference to "Toolbox". But the regulars will cry foul .... Pfuuuuu ...

This is a problem that requires constantly juggling adaptation translations.

B.R
Old 30-01-2014, 06:44   #673

Hello RGLeason,

Here Internationalization | Official OpenCPN Homepage , it is written:
"2 Use Poedit, edit the file manually or by Entering values ​​for the terms translated into the msgstr "" fields."

If a translator is that in his language, that does not make easier the work of other translators .... This is not a good technical solution.

Gilletarom.
Old 30-01-2014, 07:19   #674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
hello all,

That is a recurring problem in OpenCPN.

There is a year or two, Pavel Nohal agreed, gently, to replace an item by another in the language file to WMM because the French translation could not be the same as the one used in the general file .

For example, in the current general file, there is "Options". "Options" has replaced the "Toolbox" there awhile.
In France, to link with the regulars and to solve problem update tutorials (Pleasure-Practice and Shoreline among others) we translated "Options (Toolbox)." But here Sean Epagnier uses of the item "Options" in its plugins. Result is a mess of plugins.

Pfuuuu .... I will remove the reference to "Toolbox". But the regulars will cry foul .... Pfuuuuu ...

This is a problem that requires constantly juggling adaptation translations.

B.R
The problem is wxWidgets which is not forseen for the way OpenCPN handles plugins.

Gerhard
Old 30-01-2014, 17:12   #675

Gile..
There are some difficulties and I wanted to help:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1454094
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1453108
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1276294
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1454143

Quote:
Hello RGLeason,

Here Internationalization | Official OpenCPN Homepage , it is written:
"2 Use Poedit, edit the file manually or by Entering values ​​for the terms translated into the msgstr "" fields."

If a translator is that in his language, that does not make easier the work of other translators .... This is not a good technical solution.

Gilletarom.
but you gave me a really good laugh. Thank you for that. I accept your point and will not try to help. OK?