Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2009, 06:03   #61

I´ve downloaded and translated rev 1.2 of opencpn_es_ES.po file, that has been updated with new text.
But when I test the newest translated .po, this new changes are not shown, for example the text that is shown when pressing right button, or in tools-> vector charts (paper chart, simbolized, feet, meter.... I am usin Version 1.3.5 Build 1222.
Someone else with this issue?
chusgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2009, 06:51   #62

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I've got the same issue, see above.

My .po file is also not updated when issuing the cvs command, oddly enough I have to do it manually:

Quote:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@opencpn.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/opencpn co -P opencpn
Old 26-12-2009, 07:38   #63
Marine Service Provider

Translators....

The new messages you have translated will appear in the next Beta, coming today.

This situation will occur regularly, as there is a bit of "Catch 22" in internationalization process.

"you need the code to give me the translations. I need the translations to give you the code." So we iterate.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 02:08   #64

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
Hi Dave
Missing in the .po thus can't be translated :

When GPS port can't be opened:
"Could not open serial port 'COMx' "
"Suggestion: Try closing other applications."
lines 199 could be modified and with line 203 ,used for both GPS and AIS port error .

In the Font dialog :
Console Legend
Console Values
GRIBUIDialog
Marks

And a suggestion : to add line 544 a warning .This could be something like that :
"Tide : No official data . use at your own risk"

regards
Jean Pierre
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 04:56   #65

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
sorry , in the precedent threat #64 please read
line 187 instead of 199
" 193 " " 203
" 504 " " 544
in the last .pot file
JP
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 13:20   #66
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Version 2 of the danish .po-file

Ole
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn_da_DK.po.doc (26.4 KB, 121 views)
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 22:40   #67

About help files

Hello,

It seems many people are interested by OpenCPN internationalization ... so i'm glad to see we did not work for nothing. Thanks to you, Dave.

It seems to me the translation of the "program" strings is the emerged part of the iceberg : for now, there is no solution to translate the Help files.
As I got an idea about this, i would like to know exactly where to catch the last release of these Help / Tips files.

Another point is : defining what is necessary.
For now, the actual functionalities are :
1) When a translation-file is available, OpenCPN starts using this file.
2) If no translation-file exists, OpenCPN starts using default EN_US language.
3) Only one translation-file can be used by OpenCPN at one time, corresponding to the default language of the platform.
4) If somebody needs no translation, there is nothing to do.
Otherwise, someone has to copy the translation-file (.mo) if needed (after making it if it does not exist).

A new "select language" functionality could be developed, but it seems to me it is not really necessary as :
1) a restart of OpenCPN would be necessary to make effective the choice of the language
2) the translation-file would have to be provided anyway
3) i did not see any message talking about a need to have a language different from the default EN_US-language and from the default platform-language.

Jean-Pascal
Totobeloeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 08:39   #68
oem

Boat: Vindø 995 ds
Quote:
Originally Posted by oem View Post
Version 2 of the danish .po-file

Ole
For the fun of ittried to 'commit' the file from within eclipse after I successfully had checked out the files. But apparently I didn't have appropriate access privileges to commit. Which might be good in some cases

Does everybody else update the file from some cvs-client, or am I doing something wrong. Which cvs-client are you using? I'm on Vista..

Or are you all just e-mailing the file or uploading here?
oem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05   #69

Boat: Wasa 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnand01 View Post
And here comes my first version of the Swedish translation. Just tested at home so far, my boat (and GPS/AIS) is buried under the snow right now.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3084309/opencpn_sv_SE.zip
I am not sure were to write this, bare with you non-Swedes with some strange words. Some comments are general.

Arnand:
Good work with the translation, but a few suggestions:
I suggest the following changes:
"Från Egen Båt" to "EBL"
EBL is used in radar plots as the distance from your own boat to a radar target abreviated "Elektronisk Bäringslinjal"
Shorter and using an established expression. The same acronym is used in English "Electronic Range Line".

"Pekare" could be "Pos" for "Position". It should be obvious it is the cursor position and not the own ship.

In Swedish it makes better sense to replace DEG with a small circle instead of translating the word, i possible. That should work fine in English too and takes less space

"Verklig skala" to "Skala 1:"
A scale is by default "true", and at least in Swedish a scale should be expressed as "1:10" meaning a map covering i.e. 10 real meter for each meter on "paper" while 10:1 is the opposite.

Some pure Swedish now...
In Verktygslåda-Övrigt
"Slå på" borde kanske ändras till "Aktivera", det ser bättre i skrift.

Generally it seem to be important that the translated expressions are as short as the English, otherwise the data doesn't fit in the allotted space on the screen.

Some expressions are very well established such as waypoints, NM, km and I do not see any real need to translate these, it is probably more confusing than helpful.

What do you think?

/J
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:47   #70

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
In my German version, I have tried to use abbreviations of similar length, and I have left a number English where there is no direct equivalent and/or the English abbreviation is widely understood (e.g. GPS terminology).

When testing, you can usually see if terms don't fit. Feel free to modify these and resubmit to Dave for inclusion.

There are still some terms lacking by the way
Old 07-01-2010, 14:54   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaberg View Post
I am not sure were to write this, bare with you non-Swedes with some strange words. Some comments are general.

Arnand:
Good work with the translation, but a few suggestions:
I suggest the following changes:
"Från Egen Båt" to "EBL"
EBL is used in radar plots as the distance from your own boat to a radar target abreviated "Elektronisk Bäringslinjal"
Shorter and using an established expression. The same acronym is used in English "Electronic Range Line".

"Pekare" could be "Pos" for "Position". It should be obvious it is the cursor position and not the own ship.

In Swedish it makes better sense to replace DEG with a small circle instead of translating the word, i possible. That should work fine in English too and takes less space

"Verklig skala" to "Skala 1:"
A scale is by default "true", and at least in Swedish a scale should be expressed as "1:10" meaning a map covering i.e. 10 real meter for each meter on "paper" while 10:1 is the opposite.

Some pure Swedish now...
In Verktygslåda-Övrigt
"Slå på" borde kanske ändras till "Aktivera", det ser bättre i skrift.

Generally it seem to be important that the translated expressions are as short as the English, otherwise the data doesn't fit in the allotted space on the screen.

Some expressions are very well established such as waypoints, NM, km and I do not see any real need to translate these, it is probably more confusing than helpful.

What do you think?

/J
Hi Jonas,
Really good suggestions, a new version based on (most) of them and some of my own is on the way. Regarding well established expressions (and abbreviations), maybe some other swedes out there could give there point of view as well. I think it would be nice if the words used can be understood by most boaters (and maybe some of my friends ).

I would like to translate abbreviations such as HTSGW, CRAIN, CPA, TCPA etc. to swedish (Våghöjd, Regn, Kollisitionspunkt, Tid till kollisionspunkt). What do you think?

/Anders
arnand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 15:20   #72

Anders,
I am no great friend of translating established expressions, the problem is of course what and what is not "established".

An idea might be to see how these terms are translated in meteorology (for the GRIB stuff).

CPA is, I think, nearing acceptance at least for all us having used AIS for a few years (we got a class B transponder as soon as they appeared).
Maybe a compromise would be a translation in brackets like
CPA (Closest Point of Approach)
This definition probably need a short explanation for newbies rather than a translation of the acronym. If there is space maybe an abreviated explanation like "The closest distance between own ship and crossing vessels" (Närmaste avstånd mellan eget skepp och fartyg på mötande kurs)

TCPA (Time to CPA)

A full definition should be in the help file.

/J
Old 08-01-2010, 14:06   #73

Swedish translation v2

A new version, slightly improved. Please try it, comments are appreciated...

/Anders

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3084309/opencpn_sv_SE.zip
arnand01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 14:37   #74

Good work Arnand, looks better now.

/J
Old 05-03-2010, 08:01   #75

Boat: Phantom 19
Hi guys,
attached is the Czech translation. To use do the usual remove .doc extension routine.

Cheers

Pavel

opencpn_cs_CZ.mo.doc

opencpn_cs_CZ.po.doc
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote