Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 04:01   #1

Boat: Robert 35 Centre Cockpit
OpenCPN Linux / Ubuntu Issues and Questions

I am an extremely delighted that Linux / Ubuntu OpenCPN version has arrived on the navigation scene and that now as a dedicated Ubuntu Linux user I am able to throw away the last vestages of navigation software that held me to Microsoft Windows.

I have used Ubuntu for 3 years now and have watched it grow, stumble, go forwards in spurts , go backwards occasionally but most of the time provide me with a totally enthralling open source experience.

Four weeks ago i sailed from Chalong bay to Nai Harn Bay Phuket Thailand (Possibly the most beautiful anchorage in the world) using only open source Ubuntu OS, open Source OpenCPN navigation. (Plus I even got a inexpensive Bluetooth GPS working which I could never do under Windows)

Open CPN worked fine. It provided me with all the navigation i needed. I did not know how to set the tracking option, but subsequently Terry on yacht Valhalla told me how to fix that.

I would love to hear about other users issues and problems and would be happy along with other Open Source users to help solve and enhance our OpenCPN and GNU / Linux Ubuntu navigation experience.

Perhaps I should start by thanking who ever is compiling the Ubuntu OpenCPN version and for the prompt delivery of the 1.36 Ubuntu version.

I look forward to hearing from all OpenCPN Linux users.

George
Yacht Amable
Phuket
yachtmanforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 04:23   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hello George,

I am also rather pleased with purely linux navigation - why leave such an important task to an unstable O/S?

Most of the compiling and programming is currently performed by lead developer Dave, but a number of people are contributing documentation, translations and testing.

Participation options for non-programmers include support, documentation (wiki) and bug reports as outlined at opencpn.org.

Best regards
Old 16-01-2010, 06:02   #3

I have tried installing open cpn on my ubuntu machine. No luck- where is the startup for the program?
waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 06:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
I have tried installing open cpn on my ubuntu machine. No luck- where is the startup for the program?
You can either copy/type these commands into your terminal to create a desktop icon:

Quote:
sudo wget http://www.matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.png -O /usr/share/icons/opencpn.png
sudo wget http://www.matrixmariner.com/sites/default/files/opencpn.desktop -O /usr/share/applications/opencpn.desktop
cp /usr/share/applications/opencpn.desktop ~/Desktop
alternatively, right click on your menu "edit menu", select desired category, "new item" command: "opencpn" name: "opencpn"
Old 16-01-2010, 06:38   #5

Boat: Dufour 35
Another alternative to start OpenCPN is to just write "opencpn" in a command window ( similar to dos window ) and then hit "Enter".
The easiest way to do this is probably to hit ALT-F2 (both keys at the same time) write "opencpn" in the small window that pops up. Hit "Enter". If OpenCPN is installed it will start.

waterboy and yachtmanforfun, great to see more Linux users here, welcome! There are quite a few of us here already and most issues can be sorted out quite quickly.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 06:54   #6

Thomas, this is disabled on ubuntu from 9.04 due to the newer gnome.. Although I concur it would certainly be the easiest solution for a relative novice..
Old 16-01-2010, 07:06   #7

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Thanks Linux/S. Hemisphere

Running fine here also- thanks to all involved. Updating progress is amazing.
Thanks again
Clyde
Old 16-01-2010, 07:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
Thomas, this is disabled on ubuntu from 9.04 due to the newer gnome.. Although I concur it would certainly be the easiest solution for a relative novice..
OK, could be. I'm on Kubuntu 9.10 where the key combination works. I also started my EEEPC 901 with Ubuntu/gnome Netbook Remix 9.10 installed, and it worked there as well.

Thomas
Old 17-01-2010, 00:26   #9

Boat: Svendborg Senior DEN 38 Kate
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
In KDE, you can just type "opencpn" (or even just a part of it) in KRunner or in the KickOff menu searchbox, and it will come up in the result area.
It has no icon though, maybe i should investigate that.

Anders
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	openCPN-krunner.png
Views:	352
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	12675  
sredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 00:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sredna View Post
It has no icon though, maybe i should investigate that.
In the .desktop file, it says

Code:
Icon=exec
Correcting that to

Code:
Icon=opencpn
convinces the icon to show. You will need to rebuild the menu (in kde run kbuildsycoca4, or simply restart your session)

Anders
Old 17-01-2010, 02:55   #11

A little more on the desktop file

I post this here, as this is where it came up. It could as well go into the 1.3.6 thread, or featuere requests.

Then, here are som additional suggestions for enhancing the opencpn.desktop files:

OpenCPN shows up in the "lost and found" section of the menu (in KDE at least) because the desktop file is missing a proper category.

To fix, add a value:
Code:
Categories=Navigation;Chart;Utility
This will put openCPN int the "Utilities" section of the desktop menu. It is possible, by installing two additional files, to create a more specific desktop menu category, for example "Navigation". Maybe it would be interresting to cooperate with other linux navigation softwares on that? If someone is interrested, I can easily produce working files for this.

Adding values for the GenericName and Comment fields would enhance usability. In KDE the GenericName - describing the functionality of the application - value is displayed in the desktop menu, sometimes as the main string. It can be translated, so instead of seeing "openCPN", a use could see the string "Marine Chart Plotter" in his own language. Nice, right?

Code:
GenericName=Marine Chart Plotter
GenericName[da]=Søkortplotter
The comment field is not used in KDE afaik, but it may be in the future, and it may be in other environments.

Code:
Comment=Navigation and planning tool for sailors
Comment[da]=Navigations- og planlægningsredskab for sejlere
My fully enhanced and cleaned up opencpn.desktop looks like this:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=OpenCPN
Name[en_US]=OpenCPN
GenericName=Marine Chart Plotter
GenericName[da]=Søkortplotter
Comment=Navigation and planning tool for sailors
Comment[da]=Navigations- og planlægningsredskab for sejlere
Exec=opencpn
Icon=opencpn
Categories=Navigation;Chart;Utility
StartupNotify=true
References:
Desktop Menu Specification
Desktop Entry Specification

Anders
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	openCPN-lancelot.png
Views:	405
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	12676  
Old 17-01-2010, 12:09   #12

Boat: Unknown wooden sail boat in "restoration". 19ft. As yet to see the water.
Fedora compile problems

Hi all.

Just tried to compile opencpn from the CVS under fedora . I have previously compiled/installed the wxWidgets library but opencpn fails to compile.

This is the last few lines output from the compiler. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Code:
././include/scrollingdialog.h:28: error: redefinition of ‘class wxDialogLayoutAdapter’
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/dialog.h:239: error: previous definition of ‘class wxDialogLayoutAdapter’
././include/scrollingdialog.h:46: error: redefinition of ‘class wxStandardDialogLayoutAdapter’
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/dialog.h:257: error: previous definition of ‘class wxStandardDialogLayoutAdapter’
././include/chartdbs.h:176: warning: ‘class ChartDatabase’ has virtual functions but non-virtual destructor
././include/navutil.h:601: warning: type attributes ignored after type is already defined
././include/navutil.h:603: warning: type attributes ignored after type is already defined
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/gtk/tbargtk.h: In member function ‘void MyFrame::UpdateToolbar(ColorScheme)’:
/usr/local/include/wx-2.9/wx/gtk/tbargtk.h:91: error: ‘GtkToolbar* wxToolBar::m_toolbar’ is private
src/chart1.cpp:2494: error: within this context
make: *** [chart1.o] Error 1
Is there any way to check the wxWidgets install ?

btw. I have opencpn running on windows 7 and its a fantastic piece of kit. Carry on the great work.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Rob
robsbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 12:54   #13

Quote:
Is there any way to check the wxWidgets install ?
Which wxWidget library did you install? Prefer the gtk version (wxgtk in the arch package manager), v. 2.8
Old 17-01-2010, 12:55   #14

Quote:
Glib has through recent changes developed an incompatibility problem with WxWidgets. To compile you have to use a temporary work around.
* sudo kate(or gedit) /usr/include/glib-2.0/gio/giotypes.h
* find and comment out line 120 (which reads typedef struct _GSocket
GSocket by prepending //
* build opencpn
* edit giotypes.h again and uncomment line 120 (don't forget this!!!)
Did you follow this advice before compiling?
My experiences from installing Fedora 11 last Novemer http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post356492

Thomas
Old 17-01-2010, 13:03   #15

what bluetooth gps did you manage to get this to work with?
modul8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, opencpn, ubuntu