Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2011, 15:55   #16

Boat: Hylas 44
Re: OpenCPN NMEA In / Out via One RS232 Port ?

See section 3.5 in the E85001 interface manual. If your system is connected according to the diagram in section 3.5 it should work. All of the data on com1 going to and from the interface box is converted to seatalk. The seatalk system referred to on the diagram includes the ST60 instruments, the Raymarine GPS, the SPX10 Autopilot and the 6001 control head.

Leave the AIS data on Com2.

If this does not work, try also connecting the NMEA Out on the E85001 to the NMEA In on the SPX10.

Good Luck
Chuck
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 16:21   #17

He has the NMEA OUT direct to the AP, as told initially, the way you suggest would be the most sensible, NMEA OUT from PC to the box, then 85001 manages everything through the seatalk backbone. Somehow something is not working there.
By the way Horus, you did connect your green and red GPS125 wires together right? same with brown and black to shield? just in case, you didnt tell which GPS it was.
alex2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 16:31   #18

Boat: Hylas 44

The NMEA Out I was referring to was from the E85001, not from the PC.
ChuckSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 17:00   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckSK View Post
The NMEA Out I was referring to was from the E85001, not from the PC.
oh, you meant "use nmea out" from 85001 for the pilot, sorry, well , he is doing it directly, , I would much prefer as I said, nmea out FROM pc to E85001, then everything gets converted to Seatalk as it really gets shown in the graphic from section 3.5
Seatalk data takes precedence over nmea in a combined system. So if the GPS is talking rmc over ST and the PC is talking rmc over nmea, is ST that gets the attention.

Old 23-08-2011, 11:58   #20

Boat: Victoire 1122

Dear Alex2035, bdbcat and other forum members.

Thanks for you comment.
The configuration is indeed equiped with a Raystar 125 GPS wich is connected in the Seatalk system / way. See attached file.
The SPX10 Course computer is connected to a rudder refernce unit; but on the dashboard is no rudder ref. displayed!
The only program using the COM1 is OCPN! And the PC is only a listener via that port. I stopped trying to get the AP operating in a route; it seems to me that first the system basicly must be oke. Therefore I also shut down the AIS during the trial (COM2).
The NMEA sentences mentioned in the manual from the Raystar 125 as you copied Alex2035 are these also available when the connection is made in the Seatalk system? Thats not sure (not mentioned) I gues.
Back to what you metioned bdbcat about the NMEA sentences. So it's clear there is no RMC sentence coming in, and I can't (re)configure the software of the Raystar GPS. So OCPN has to operate with the VTC sentence; and this one has no True course data, but Magnetic data.
The same is going on with the Compasscourse information. There OCPN can look at HDG, or HDM. Both sentences are available in my system. These sentences represent no True Heading, wich is (seems to mee) the only correct data for displaying the Compasscourse (Variation is not given!)

What I can try is to connect the Raystar 125 in the NMEA way as a talker to the Raymarine interface box, instead of the Seatalk way as it is at the moment. In that case the RMC sentence must be produced I gues?!
The risk is that the SPX10 isn't correct operating anymore?!

Members I like to hear your opinion about this

Ton ('Horus')
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 11:59   #21

Guys, I forgot the file with the raystar 125 doc. Enclosed

Ton ('Horus')
Attached Files
File Type: doc Ray125.doc (203.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 23-08-2011, 16:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
The configuration is indeed equiped with a Raystar 125 GPS wich is connected in the Seatalk system / way. See attached file.
Ton ('Horus')
Green with Red: 12V
Brown with Black: shield, 0V
Yellow : Seatalk

Quote:
The SPX10 Course computer is connected to a rudder refernce unit; but on the dashboard is no rudder ref. displayed!
configure the dashboard

Quote:
The NMEA sentences mentioned in the manual from the Raystar 125 as you copied Alex2035 are these also available when the connection is made in the Seatalk system? Thats not sure (not mentioned) I gues.
yes, they should be on Seatalk, I mentioned in previous "is the same for this purpose"

Quote:
What I can try is to connect the Raystar 125 in the NMEA way as a talker to the Raymarine interface box, instead of the Seatalk way as it is at the moment. In that case the RMC sentence must be produced I gues?!
The risk is that the SPX10 isn't correct operating anymore?!
you can try, 125 is capable of working either Seatalk or NMEA the same.
the SPX10 would receive Seatalk from nmea converted at the box.

Good Luck. alex
Old 31-08-2011, 04:19   #23

Dear forum members,

My dashboard was configured to look at the Rudder info; no data.
Last sunday I tried several options wiring the Raystar125 to the interface box. No correct result.
At least I connected the Raystar direct to the RS232 port (COM1); that showed True heading data in the VTG and RMC sences. OCPN gave also COG. But ofcourse I missed the disconnected other Raymarine instruments.

My conclusion now is that the interface hasn't the latest specs and therefore operates incorrect.
Can anyone give me advice about a new Interfacebox? I'm looking at the MiniPlex 2E.

Another thing is the Dashboard item 'Compass'; it shows the card and left below SOG and right above the COG; the card shows also the COG! Therfore it seems to me 'Compass' isn't the right name for this Dashboard item. Reading 'Compass' my mind is at the magnetic course.
Maybe this is a discussion for another tread.

I'm looking forward to your replies about my conclusion above and advice about a new Interfacebox.

Regards
Ton ('Horus')
Old 20-12-2011, 01:08   #24

Members,

It took some time...
Meanwhile I installed a new multiplexer (Shipmodul Miniplex-2 USB/BT).
I connected this multiplexer basicly in the same way as the Ray Interfacebox was. No True heading; no compass and no rudder information comes in via the Seatalk connection.
Now I made a new direct NMEA connection with the raymarine AutoPilot SteeringComputer (SC). The connection for sending NMEA to the SC was already there, now I also connected NMEA out from the SC into the Multiplexer.
Except True Heading I have now all the information in OCPN available. For the true heading the Shipmodul multiplexer has the option to translate the HDG / HDM sentences into the in OCPN needed HDT sentence.
So the system runs fine now connected via USB to my board Computer.
But for use of a laptop in the cockpit the BlueTooth connection should be fine(via a virtual com port)..... Information comes in via BT, but OCPN doesn't open the virtual com port in time and therefore the connection fails. I'll see first the available topics or open a new one.
Guys thanks for your help!

Horus
Old 20-12-2011, 07:06   #25

Hello,
i have this multiplexer and it run fine with VSPE after create a splitter
with the virtual port com of the BT multiplexer.
Sorry for my english.
More informations if you want.
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 12:27   #26

Hello,
It should be fine to have some more detailed information about the way you connected you Miniplex via BT to your computer.
As far as I connect the Miniplex-2 USB/BT by cable it operates fine. But the Blue tooth connection comes in -data can be seen in the Miniplex config program. But OCPN canīt open the com port and therefore has no info for navigation.
What solution you made. What is the name of the Virtual splitter. I havenīt installed any program/driver for the BT connection. How did you arrange your connection.
So far you prefer to communicate in Dutch or German, you are welcome.
Itīs good to know that the new OCPN beta version 2.6 has new Bluetooth features I read. I installed it today and will do a try out later this week.

Horus
Old 20-12-2011, 13:15   #27

Hello, Horus
I am french
i have loaded and installed the free (for win 32 version) VSPE program.
and you make a splitter with the COMport of the BT miniplex.
For exemple my miniplexBT is on COM3
I split Com3 on COM4 with VSPE and i put COM4 on OCPN and it's OK.
You must also put COM4 on the config program of Miniplex BT.

I try also and it work fine with NAVMONPC.
Patrick
tiersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 10:44   #28

Patrick thanks,
I'll be back after the tryal.
Have a nice Christmas!

Horus

Tags
nmea, rs232