Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 11:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: opencpn not getting gps/ais data

Depending on your use and power availability. If you are a sailor with a tiny electric power budget, you might use the screen saver or even standby or suspend, and if the gps is connected to the pc, then the gps will also behave the same way as the pc.

I normally prefer "always on" since I have plenty of electric power, so I change to "presentation mode" with the pc and display "always on" - read the help file placed on the desktop - or just switch to "presentation mode" - button in lover right side of the desktop.

There should be no need for relinking gps/ais.

Nowadays, all laptops has wifi. A very nice solutions for connecting all kind of sensors, including GPS/ AIS is to connect these sensors to a small Raspberry Pi with wifi running "openplotter" The "openplotter" will then feed all the sensor data over wifi to your PC, so no need to connect the sensors directly to your pc since the only connection you need is wifi (or network cable) . this way you can use the same sensors for all computers connected to the network, and does not have to worry for "standby" or "suspend" of the gps / AIS.

/Petter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
I think I got it sorted! Thanks again. It helped getting a search function working. Too much windows history to overcome

I'm now trying to get the power mgt function sorted out. Should I be losing the connections to gps and ais when it goes to standby ? Suspend?

And when I reboot program should i need to re link Chart, gps and ais? Thanks for the assistance!
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:20   #17
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

So just when I thought I figured out the new software, you throw out a new hardware.... no rest for us old dawgs.

The one thing I could use is a repeater at the helm. I used to use an old i phone and/or iPad to repeat the laptop via real VNC and an ad hoc network. Any ideas on how to do that with rasp pi or Xinutop or something else?

Btw I think I understand your wifi suggestion but most of my other data is old seatalk raymarine which I don't think plays well with others, but if you have talk figured out I'm all ears

Cheers, John
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 13:26   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
So just when I thought I figured out the new software, you throw out a new hardware.... no rest for us old dawgs.

The one thing I could use is a repeater at the helm. I used to use an old i phone and/or iPad to repeat the laptop via real VNC and an ad hoc network. Any ideas on how to do that with rasp pi or Xinutop or something else?

Btw I think I understand your wifi suggestion but most of my other data is old seatalk raymarine which I don't think plays well with others, but if you have talk figured out I'm all ears

Cheers, John
With openplotter running on a Raspberry Pi its easy to do that with vnc, all set up straight away when you load it. Also sends out nmea and signalk over wifi.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 14:14   #19
kcj

Petter,
Does your rpi approach only use the multiplexer and wifi aspects of open plotter? Will the rpi wifi function transmit the whole opcpn screen (i.e. The active charts) or only just the multiplexed data?

Btw the xinutop installation has been steady for over 24hours--- far exceeding the prior install!

Conachair-- is your approach in addition to or in place of the xinutop opencpn installation?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 08-12-2016, 14:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

It can be used either way or both ways. It is superb to have all the NMEA data available over wifi for all your devices. I prefer to have a local install of opencpn on my device and only use the sensor data over wifi is up to you. I prefer a local install over using vnc or rdp, but it is up to you.

Feel this is working more seamless, but that's my personal option - other folks might prefer the opposite.

The xinutop install will mostly be stable long after I and you has left this place,,,,

In case of "in place" if you are using vnc or rdp to display opencpn from the openplotter - nothing is more stable than the weakest link - be sure the pc/device used for this is stable enough for your demands.

Quote:
Petter,
Does your rpi approach only use the multiplexer and wifi aspects of open plotter? Will the rpi wifi function transmit the whole opcpn screen (i.e. The active charts) or only just the multiplexed data?

Btw the xinutop installation has been steady for over 24hours--- far exceeding the prior install!

Conachair-- is your approach in addition to or in place of the xinutop opencpn installation?

Old 08-12-2016, 15:37   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

Openplotter is a raspian image with Opencpn installed and a host of other capabilities, only runs on a Raspberry Pi though.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:09   #22
kcj

Petter,
The time issue seems to have resolved itself but I needed to sync the time setting online.

A xinutop starting issues-- when booting i I see the xinutop screen , hit enter and it scroll through the script with the oks, but then it just goes blank- no dolphin page. This happens About a third of the time. I just shut it down and restart. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Thx, John
Old 10-12-2016, 06:53   #23
Marine Service Provider

Hmmmm, not really. What is your hardware ? - Maybe Marinux has some thoughts on this ??
/P

Quote:
Petter,
The time issue seems to have resolved itself but I needed to sync the time setting online.

A xinutop starting issues-- when booting i I see the xinutop screen , hit enter and it scroll through the script with the oks, but then it just goes blank- no dolphin page. This happens About a third of the time. I just shut it down and restart. Any ideas as to what is going on?
Thx, John
Old 11-12-2016, 01:21   #24

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II

As luck would have it, I tried connecting my Vesper AIS/Wifi to OpenCPN today. I learnt something interesting that you might want to take into account:

On the OpenCPN connection dialog, you have to enter the IP address of the data source. I selected the address in the Vesper app, and copied and pasted it into the dialog. OpenCPN ignored the connection (debug window showed no action).

A quick telnet from my MiniMac proved that the Vesper was transmitting. What now?

Then I noticed that the IP address in the Vesper app had neat 3-digit numbers, even for one that was 015..... my suspicions were confirmed when I replaced 015 in the OpenCPN dialog with 15 - it started working immediately. Does OpenCPN parse the IP address components as octal when a leading zero is present?

Bottom line: don't have any leading zeroes in your IP address!

Regards
Michael
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:46   #25

Boat: Phantom 19

Capella...
The Vesper guys should probably get back to school or at least read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot-de...n#IPv4_address

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:31   #26

Boat: Feltz Scorpion II

That is a bit harsh..... considering that the page you linked to says "No formal specification of this textual IP address representation exists" but it does mention "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4.2BSD" which allows the octets to be octal.....although it also mentions "These features continue to be supported by software until today, even though they are seen as non-standard"

I'll be surprised if Vesper don't update their code to "fix" this, they seem to be quite professional.

Anyway, this is not worth starting a war, I just wanted to alert people to a possible "how could this not work" situation.

Regards
Michael
Capella is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, enc, gps, opencpn