Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2014, 02:37   #46

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: OpenCPN on Android Tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Dave,
wouldn't it be recommendable to separate the work on wxQt from the current betas?
Hubert
I second this. The desaster of implementing the so called "optimizations" by Sean has already shown what can happen.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 18:57   #47

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Emulating a GUI toolkit by a second one - and this is Wx on QT, one shouldn't compare this with a GTK - opens a big can of worms and possible surprises.
One is adding a layer here - and not a simple one - and not just exchanging one underlying toolset by a different one .\
There is not really an added layer.

Using qt instead of gtk, either way has the same number of layers.
Quote:
Getting a stable running software in an environment like this seems to be a big challenge. Therefore I'm advocating to keep this development well separated from OpenCPN main until wxQT is mature and heavily tested.

Hubert
I appreciate your concern but did you take a look at the diff between master and wxqt branches? There isn't much changed. Only a few ifdef guards which won't affect anything.

The biggest differences are to allow building _without_ 2.8 compatibility which is desirable for all ports anyway and not really specific to wxqt, but needed as wxqt doesn't fully implement 2.8 compatibility.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 21:45   #48

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

It takes some very single minded and directed people to program through some of the concerns about change, in order to reach better waters. I thank you guys for making these decisions so that the program can continue to move forward, and I also thank you for perseverance and tenacity to get the tasks done. It is really quite remarkable.

This development promises to help the program in a very big way. Thank you.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:15   #49

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa
Re: openCPN on Android tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Android apps are not affected in any way. You can be using an android nav app at the same time OpenCPN is running in the linux chroot environment. Switch between them whenever you want.
That's a relief - I just bought a Nexus 7 II and after trawling through umpteen threads I'd come to the conclusion that some dual boot set up was necessary, so I was not inclined to go down that road. Your reply implies otherwise or have I got it wrong?

Thanks for all your hard work on this set of threads.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:31   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmarks View Post
That's a relief - I just bought a Nexus 7 II and after trawling through umpteen threads I'd come to the conclusion that some dual boot set up was necessary, so I was not inclined to go down that road. Your reply implies otherwise or have I got it wrong?

I had prepared a detailed response here but lost my work by inadvertantly hitting the back arrow on my tablet. Put simply, see my installation instructions here for details. Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage . I will say again though, you've probably been reading about 'Ubuntu Touch'. Last information I have is Ubuntu Touch is not capable of running linux programs. Just offers a different user interface running on top of android.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:15   #51

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:

Its not really dual boot. More like a virtual machine. The Linux system runs from inside a big file that functions as a root directory where Linux and Linux apps can make itself at home and act as if they were on a PC. Android is still running. In fact android must be running, or the Linux system can't run inside its chroot environment.

Follow Wrongs link and read through the directions carefully. Get your tools together, and go for it. Post if you have problems and somebody will be able to bail u out.

Remember, you must root your device before you can set up Linux. With most popular devices that have been out for over a year, it will be simple, because there will be detailed tutorials and specialized tools. Brand new to market devices sometimes are tricky since you are in the first wave of rooters for it. I just rooted my nexus 7 2013 LTE tablet using fastboot and clockworkmod 6.0.4.8. There was a lot of confusion over what version of N7 I had, and what version of clockworkmod recovery I needed so my tablet was out of action for a few days while I tried stuff. With something like a S3 there would have been zero problems cause the device has been rooted by millions by now. I like clockworkmod and fastboot better than the so called one click or no computer needed rooting tools. TWRP is also good.either one can be set up from a Mac, windoze, or Linux computer. For the rooting part, the best help will come from Android Forum for Mobile Phones, Tablets, Watches & Android App Development - XDA Forums.
Old 09-09-2014, 00:31   #52

Location: Aboard currently New Zealand at last free from lockdown
Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I had prepared a detailed response here but lost my work by inadvertantly hitting the back arrow on my tablet. Put simply, see my installation instructions here for details. Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage . I will say again though, you've probably been reading about 'Ubuntu Touch'. Last information I have is Ubuntu Touch is not capable of running linux programs. Just offers a different user interface running on top of android.
Thanks, I now have it running on the Nexus 7 II with GPS connection left to resolve. Your instructions were a great help. I had to resolve missing libraries but found additional help here .
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31   #53

Quote:
Thanks, I now have it running on the Nexus 7 II with GPS connection left to resolve. Your instructions were a great help. I had to resolve missing libraries but found additional help here .
Good. Another success story. See this thread for guidance in using your tablet's built-in GPS. GPS Working with OpenCPN on Androids [Sitemap] - Cruisers & Sailing Forums and here starting on page 2, post #101. "http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=147549&page=2"
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:12   #54

Boat: Camelot - Islander 37

Sorry if I am duplicating but I can not find a definitive answer to whether OpenCPN can be used with the Android Lollipop operating system. If it is possible, could someone point me to an installation tutorial?
Thanks much,
cem
Camelot
Islander 37
Cowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 11:17   #55

Boat: BENETEAU

Camelot,

Have a look on this thread

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-149682.html

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 10:43   #56

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I am running it on CyanogenMod CM12 which is a custom ROM based I believe on lollipop. Device is a Note4. OCPN runs pretty good, as smoothly as Marine Navigator, but OCPN can read CM93 charts, unlike other Android navigation apps. It is still in Beta but I haven't had any problems wit it so far. I am looking forward to the stable release. Hey, its a free download, anyway so whaddaya got to lose?

Tags
enc, opencpn