Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2015, 08:30   #121

Boat: 1983 Fu Hwa Seahorse
Re: OpenCPN on Raspberry PI2

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
I just got my Raspberry Pi2 setup, using Jessie (upgraded from wheezy). I also compiled the latest OpenCPN from git, and I would have to say if anyone tried using OpenCPN on the orginal Pi, this is VASTLY better/faster. Especially after overclocking, but even before that, this is quite workable!
Are you using ENC charts or Raster charts? Do you have GPS and AIS devices running? What is your framerate?

I have not found this experience to be the case... I believe it should be the case, and have been frustrated that my experience has been less than good.

Edit:
Clarification... I've been frustrated with the experience, not with OpenCPN, the developers, or this forum.

My goal is to be able to build from bare-metal an OpenCPN solution on RPi, running vector charts, with GPS and AIS, and a 10fps framerate. In theory, the hardware should be more than sufficient for that.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:58   #122
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Dear all -- an update from our install/use and the entire graphics issue is that we're mired in our own little challenge of Qt (v4 vs v5) lib issues. We require Qt for our own weather station, anchor watch, and boat systems alarm program on RPI. See this post 85 in this thread. We're reverting back to Qt v4 so we have access to the qwt library we want. It supposedly works with v5 of Qt but it's a no go on any Jessie install whether RPI or desktop computer.
Old 11-08-2015, 15:21   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkab View Post
Are you using ENC charts or Raster charts? Do you have GPS and AIS devices running? What is your framerate?

I have not found this experience to be the case... I believe it should be the case, and have been frustrated that my experience has been less than good.

Edit:
Clarification... I've been frustrated with the experience, not with OpenCPN, the developers, or this forum.

My goal is to be able to build from bare-metal an OpenCPN solution on RPi, running vector charts, with GPS and AIS, and a 10fps framerate. In theory, the hardware should be more than sufficient for that.
I was using the NOA BSB raster charts, and only a very small subset in the initial test, since that's what I'd used before.

For context, last time I tried was a few months after the original PI came out, when the images where still pretty flaky, OpenCPN had no real support for it, and vector charts were blowing up.. So, it didn't take much to make it that much better. I don't know what the framerate was, but my criteria would be to primarily use it for navigation more so than route planning, so panning around/zooming in/out IMHO doesn't need to be THAT snappy.

I plugged in my GPS puck, and the USB drivers recognized the serial interface, but the puck itself starting blinking a red light. From what I can tell, I need to dig out a powered USB hub to give it some more juice. I suspect it'll work just fine, although as you can see below, I got a bit ahead of myself on other things..
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 15:31   #124

Update on the VC4 dirver.. (btw, Sean, I was running Software Rasterizer, not HW)
After about 36 hrs or so of compiling, running out of space on the SD card, expanding the filesystem, compiling some more, hitting "Y" at all hours of the day on various prompts, it finally finished this morning. Did a reboot, and the PI failed to boot....

What I'm trying to do, is get the VC4 driver to work, by running the BuildRaspbianVc4.py script located here: https://github.com/gohai/vc4-buildbot

It's the same script that generated the images here: Index of /~gohai/vc4-buildbot/build/

Both the images and the script leaves me with an unbootable PI, but I hope to be able to figure that out tonight, since I'll be out of the country until next week.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 11:57   #125

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
maybe. I an anxious to try this driver when I get a chance.
Hi Sean,
Did you get a chance to try this out?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=81&t=115350

a
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 15:47   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
Hi Sean,
Did you get a chance to try this out?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=81&t=115350

a
I tried downloading a couple of these images Index of /~gohai/vc4-buildbot/build/ but could not get my pi2 to boot.

Cheers
Spart
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2015, 16:14   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
I tried downloading a couple of these images Index of /~gohai/vc4-buildbot/build/ but could not get my pi2 to boot.
I just tried the 1625 image, and it booted on my Pi2 the first time. Then did an apt-get update and it no longer boots. I'll re-image tonight and see if I can get OpenCPN to run on it.

Just FYI as people seem to be going down a path that I fully support!
Old 26-08-2015, 09:34   #128

Boat: 1975 Isander 28

I have had good success on banana pro, not sure how to measure frame rate but it works well enough for my boat anyway. I started with bananaian wheezy and upgraded it to jessie. It basically went by the numbers with apt-get...I think there is a new bananaian release for jessie just out which should be even easier. Also I have a 4G image if anyone actually wants to try it. For wireless NMEA repeaters I and working on using the RF24 packet radios. The RF24 library will form a low power distributed ip routable mesh of devices including easy micro controller support if you want to go 'bare metal' on the sensor end...
skkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 04:46   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeith View Post
I have had good success on banana pro, not sure how to measure frame rate but it works well enough for my boat anyway. I started with bananaian wheezy and upgraded it to jessie. It basically went by the numbers with apt-get...I think there is a new bananaian release for jessie just out which should be even easier. Also I have a 4G image if anyone actually wants to try it. For wireless NMEA repeaters I and working on using the RF24 packet radios. The RF24 library will form a low power distributed ip routable mesh of devices including easy micro controller support if you want to go 'bare metal' on the sensor end...

I suggest you start a thread for Banana Pro this is about Rpi2!

Spart
Old 05-09-2015, 19:21   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparticle View Post

Cheers
Spart
I was able to get the first one to boot and the second one booted, but I couldn't get any video but a curser. I was able to vnc into it though
Old 07-09-2015, 01:12   #131

Help! I installed jessie an did all the updates. Installed opencpn. Everything was working and I changed the check mark for excelleration and maybe one other. Now all I get in the terminal window when I go to start it is:

libGL: built on Jul 5 2015 18:50:03
libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate
libGL: warning, gles is NULL

And it hangs there. What do I do now ?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36   #132

Yeah, I've run into this a few times. You need to build libdri2 from source.

Here's how I do it:
Code:
sudo apt-get install autoconf xutils-dev
git clone https://github.com/robclark/libdri2
cd libdri2
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install
ldconfig
Old 07-09-2015, 21:40   #133

OK. I got everything working on 1 card using Jessie. It's pretty fast. Now the big challenge. I'm going to try to get opencpn working with processing 3's new drivers. Sparticle was looking at this before I think too and they just posted a pretty fast easy install on a clean raspbean image a few days ago
If you are simply interested in running processing 3 than i have good news for you.
You can use the latest processing file 20150821-1625-vc4-processing.tar.bz2 on a regular Raspbian system in combination with the default Broadcom /opt/vc VideocodeIV GPU OpenGL ES 2 driver. This will be fast.

Try this from a terminal window on a regular "noobs" installed Rasbian system after running startx.

CODE: SELECT ALL
wget http://sukzessiv.net/~gohai/vc4-buil...essing.tar.bz2
tar xvf 20150821-1625-vc4-processing.tar.bz2
cd processing-3.0b4
./processing
I looked at this video and was thinking you get a lot for $35 with a RPI 2 B.
http://labb.zafena.se/jogamp/vc4/vid..._163245117.mp4
Old 24-04-2016, 10:04   #134

Just returning to this after a few months off sailing in various places on bigger boats. Raymarine B&G etc.

Followed Alisdairs instructions here Pi Chart

Enabling the opengl driver from raspi-config results in a non booting pi. I have to comment out the driver to get it to boot.

#dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d

Otherwise boots fine and loads opencpn. Still too slow for normal use without acceleration. Interested in anyone has gotten full desktop and opencpn opengl working.

Cheers
Spart
Old 24-04-2016, 11:48   #135

Boat: Halmatic 30

With Raspian and OpenPlotter package the Raspberry 3 and 2 runs perfect and with hardware acceleration. (Don't switch OpenGL to on)

With this combination you get:

- a Wifi Access Point. Receive AIS and NMEA data on Windows or Linux system with OpenCPN.
- SignalK server
- VNC server for remote Raspberry Pi operations. Running OpenCPN from the Raspberry with your Ipad
- RTL-DSR dongle calibration
- Zygrib Grib files download
- Settings for stand-alone starting with OpenCPN full screen.

- OpenCPN 4.2 remarkable fast moving on the screen

and other options.

All these options in one image including OpenCPN 4.2

Version 0.7.0 from OpenPlotter works great here on my Raspberries.

Take a fast SD card.

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn