Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 09:52   #46

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: OpenCPN on Raspberry Pi2

maybe try as root or try as a user in the video group?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:03   #47

I need to try again from scratch as I rebuilt my libEGL.so from the libEGL_static.a file... Where is your libEGL.so located?
Old 05-10-2015, 16:50   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Where is your libEGL.so located?
/opt/vc/lib

On a side note, I am still unable to run glxgears in Raspian Jessie (BTW I never had this problem in Wheezy), so I don't know how helpful I can be in debugging the new shim. I am still getting the same error message even on a fresh new Debian install. I posted a message on the RPI forum. Let's see....
coupdemistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:25   #49

Using /opt/vc/include/EGL instead of /usr/include/EGL I have been able to compile glshim and run glxgears successfully. FPS was about 160fps as Sean predicted, although it does drop markedly as the window is increased to full screen. No luck yet with OpenCPN though.
duichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:57   #50

did you use the rpi_hwopengl branch of my git repository?
Old 06-10-2015, 08:03   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
did you use the rpi_hwopengl branch of my git repository?
Yes. as per your earlier post
Code:
git clone http://github.com/seandepagnier/OpenCPN -b rpi_hwopengl
Andrew
Old 06-10-2015, 08:51   #52

I don't understand the problem. Did you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH when running opencpn? Can you be sure it is using this library? Can you run glxinfo? Can you post the log file?
Old 06-10-2015, 10:11   #53

I have very sad news. I went to another boat to try the rpi2 with the br24 radar as I figured about 3 major ways to improve this plugin I want to test.

Unfortunately this radar cannot forward the data over wifi to let me develop on my chromebook which has no ethernet (which is why I brought the pi in the first place)

They had a 5 volt power supply for the pi which worked fine, but when I plugged in the hdmi it created a ground loop and fried my pi. The psu was not negative common for input and output, but instead it was positive common. I didn't expect this, as it's relatively uncommon but I should test the supply with a meter always.

What I finished with last week was in my opinion a very usable opencpn with about 4x the frame rate of without opengl, but still didn't sort out accelerated panning which would further improve things significantly.

Anyway, I will continue with the RPIv1 (single core) to debug and test, but for now it's not the performance or memory of the rpiv2 so it's not really so usable for opencpn.
Old 06-10-2015, 15:07   #54
Marine Service Provider

@boat_alexandra
sorry about your RPI. Hmmm..positive grounding? That would have tricked me too I think.

Anyway, here's some good news. I recompiled both opencpn (using the latest branch) and glshim and, lo and behold, it works! Glxgears using your shim gets about 200FPS (and, more importantly, I no longer get the RGB error!!), and OpenCPN clocks at around 8-9 FPS on raster charts.

I don't know if that is the intended rate, but it sure is a lot faster (about 7x) than what I was getting without acceleration, and definitely more than acceptable for everyday use.

Vector and CM93 charts are still stuck at 1FPS, but I think you mentioned those were not supposed to work with acceleration (yet). Am I correct?

Finally, the colors are kinda funky (blue for land, orange for water). You mentioned something about setting the color scheme correctly?

Anyway, one small step for a man, one giant step for mankind! Nice work

Edit
vector charts actually get about 1/2 the rate of raster charts (3-4 FPS). Still a bit too sluggish...
Old 06-10-2015, 20:30   #55

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

I tried it too. But I'm only getting 51fps

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 20:32   #56

Almost 7 fps full screen.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:34   #57

I now have everything running too. When it works it is much faster (10fps). However it is not entirely stable. If the O window is made full screen it crashes. Sometimes O loads but never renders the chart. In the terminal I am getting errors like:
Code:
ERROR: EGL Error detected: EGL_BAD_ALLOC (0x3003)
ERROR: EGL Error detected: EGL_BAD_MATCH (0x3009)
Sorry to hear about your over-cooked Pi Sean, but I really think we are nearly there.
Andrew
Old 07-10-2015, 06:56   #58

Do we need to get another rpi2 out to you Sean?

Old 07-10-2015, 08:03   #59
Marine Service Provider

FYI I am having problems similar to duichan's. Same error messages in terminal
Old 08-10-2015, 08:19   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by duichan View Post
I now have everything running too. When it works it is much faster (10fps). However it is not entirely stable. If the O window is made full screen it crashes. Sometimes O loads but never renders the chart. In the terminal I am getting errors like:
Code:
ERROR: EGL Error detected: EGL_BAD_ALLOC (0x3003)
ERROR: EGL Error detected: EGL_BAD_MATCH (0x3009)
Sorry to hear about your over-cooked Pi Sean, but I really think we are nearly there.
Andrew
I was getting 17-20fps with raster charts. Were you using texture compression with the cache rebuilt?

As far as the bad alloc, make sure you are using texture compression. Edit /boot/config.txt and ensure you are _not_ in 32 bit color, and also ensure you have set gpu_mem=256M and optionally clock the core_freq to 450 mhz instead of 250mhz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akopac View Post
I tried it too. But I'm only getting 51fps

Does it print that it is loading opengl on the console?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupdemistral View Post
@boat_alexandra
sorry about your RPI. Hmmm..positive grounding? That would have tricked me too I think.
I really didn't expect it.
Quote:
Anyway, here's some good news. I recompiled both opencpn (using the latest branch) and glshim and, lo and behold, it works! Glxgears using your shim gets about 200FPS (and, more importantly, I no longer get the RGB error!!), and OpenCPN clocks at around 8-9 FPS on raster charts.
Which resolution? Maybe you have a higher one, and maybe you have a slower xorg driver? If it's a better driver for xorg it may help but I am not really sure.
Quote:
I don't know if that is the intended rate, but it sure is a lot faster (about 7x) than what I was getting without acceleration, and definitely more than acceptable for everyday use.

Vector and CM93 charts are still stuck at 1FPS, but I think you mentioned those were not supposed to work with acceleration (yet). Am I correct?
No, they do work, just slightly slower for panning than without opengl usually, and quite a bit faster for zooming. The panning will be faster once I get FBO support working...

Quote:
Finally, the colors are kinda funky (blue for land, orange for water). You mentioned something about setting the color scheme correctly?
Sounds like you are in 32bit color, what does fbset read?
Quote:
Anyway, one small step for a man, one giant step for mankind! Nice work

Edit
vector charts actually get about 1/2 the rate of raster charts (3-4 FPS). Still a bit too sluggish...
hmm... it's a bit sluggish, yes but for me it was already more or less usable as now it can zoom much faster, but still too slow panning because there is no fbo support yet. Really the major advance here is raster charts which should be pretty good now.

Tags
enc, opencpn