Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2011, 09:28   #16

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Open CPN on Windows 7 Starter

No it is not a power settings problem. I disabled those and it still dropped out. There is an extensive thread with the title GPS Dropping Out that discusses this fully.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 10:43   #17

Thanks for the lead to the other discussion thread. Lots of information there and lots of it over my head. But it seems the simple solution is as you suggest, to get a different puck. For what it's worth, the only thing I could see as a common thread when using the bu-353 is that if opencpn was running and I did nothing else on the netbook it kept working fine. However, if I tried doing almost anything else like internet browser it would cause the com port to shut down and show as "inactive". Almost as if something in the chain of events can't handle other activity on the pc. Purely conjecture on my part. Wish this thing would work, but guess i'm going to start searching for another puck. Thanks!
jettaknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 10:01   #18

Boat: Aries 32

jetta, it might be worth examining your goals and expectations at this point. What are you trying to do? What happens when your navigation stops? How much money are you willing to throw at possible hardware solutions?

I went through roughly the above and landed on Linux. The lack of anything other than, apparently, Win7 "forgetting" about the GPS suggests the problem isn't entirely the fault of the GPS. Maybe Win7 will be happier with another GPS, maybe not. I for one cannot tolerate software doing things for me - things like dropping a GPS, probably for some clever intent like to save power. (I write software for a living, for whatever that's worth.) In the unlikely event that Linux starts doing things for me, chances are I can find it and fix it.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 11:07   #19

Dustymc, thank you for your comments. I should say first that this "system" using Opencpn is really a backup system for a Raymarine chartplotter/gps/sonar system on the boat. I like the idea of having a backup and the convenience of having a portable system on the netbook that I can use to plan routes, etc from home.

I also seem to have found a solution to the dropped com port issue. The simple utility software Xport was downloaded (free) and installed yesterday. I've been running the gps/opencpn and doing a lot of other things on the netbook for over 24 hours with no dropout. So, it looks like the bu-353 won't be tossed in the trash just yet.

Not to change the topic of this thread, but in response to your comments about Linux. Also yesterday I downloaded Ubuntu for Netbooks onto a usb stick, and followed closely the website instructions for loading the os from the stick "to try it out". After several hours I still cannot get the wireless to work. From various forums I've determined that I have to find some additional drivers from broadcom for the linux to work. I am neither a complete novice at computer stuff, nor an expert programmer but I am struggling to figure out the linux community terminology for what I would need to do to make the wireless card work. I agree that windows is not great, but linux has its own challenges I think for the "average guy". I would love to make it work, but not at the expense of hours of time and the distinct possibility of hosing my computer. Plus it didn't seem all that much faster.
(I'm going to give it one more shot today.) Thanks!
Old 27-02-2011, 11:38   #20

Boat: Aries 32

Looks like we ended up in about the same place - I was hoping to use the laptop for primary nav, but even with my newfound stability I'm shopping for a chartplotter.

Re: Linux, running on the stick it was VERY slow for me. Installed on the HD is another thing.

I had the same network card issues, but the solution was pretty simple for me. FINDING the solution took a while, but the actual fix involved plugging in a network cable, opening terminal, and copy/pasting a couple apt-get commands.

On a new install there's nothing to hose - if you mess it up just back out or start over. Actually, that's pretty much my philosophy in general, having fried a fairly decent sized pile of hard drives over the years.

I generally agree that Linux desktops are generally evil for the reasons you give above. (Servers are another matter, and I have several of them.) I use Mac for a desktop, and can't really imagine how I got any actual work done on any other system. However, given OpenCPN's limited Mac support, the cost of even a "cheap" Mac laptop, and the likely lifespan of a laptop aboard, Linux seems to be a winner for me here.

Good luck, and please post back on Xport after you've had it a while.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 14:08   #21

Well it has been at least a week now that I've had continued success with the bu-353 gps puck, as in not losing connection. Here's what I think based both on observation and a comment received from a USGLOBALSAT tech person. The bu-353 can only handle requests for data from one place at a time. If anything happens that somehow interupts the datastream it locks. In windows 7 the answer that has worked perfectly for me is a very simple and free utility called XPORT (as mentioned by others). It is easy to setup and use and allows you to intentionally or unintentually distribute the gps data. XPORT allows you to create multiple virtual com ports from single usb connection seen as the main port.

I also was able to install Linux MINT very successfully on my netbook. It identified my wifi card and I was off and running. I installed the linux version of opencpn and it works even better than the windows version. Much faster to load, find the gps signal, etc. But to support my "theory" in paragraph one, when I tried to install a different nav program in Linux while opencpn was running....it lost the signal from the puck just like windows. Don't know if there is an XPORT for linux...for now I'll only have opencpn running. Thanks again to all for your help and suggestions.
Old 11-03-2011, 14:27   #22

Boat: Amel Sharki

For running several programs using the same one GPS data source on Linux you might try gpsd from GPSd — Put your GPS on the net!

It is not available for Windows I guess and they write on their web site:
"No, we don't support Windows — get a better operating system."

You have seen for yourself that a small and fast operating system is sometimes better than a fat Windows OS.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 15:17   #23

Thank you, I'll give that a try.

Planning a trip to Norway this spring that will include a road trip. Any good auto navigation programs for linux you know about? It would have to include or have access to downloaded maps that would then work with the gps in an "offline" approach.
Old 11-03-2011, 15:24   #24

Boat: Amel Sharki

Sorry, don't know a free auto route navigator. You might google for that.
I have a build-in car navi and in a rented car abroad I use my iPhone.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 19:22   #25

jettaknight

Thanks for the XPORT link. Fixed my issue.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 20:53   #26

Thumbs up Re: Open CPN on Windows 7 Starter

Excellent, glad it works for you!

It continues to work fine for me in both Windows and Linux. The only issue I sometimes face now is if the laptop is ignored too long and goes into hibernation the puck will sometimes stop sending a signal. But, it is a simple matter of unplugging the usb connection and plugging it back in. The puck starts transmitting immediately and OpenCPN finds the signal within seconds.

Jettaknight
Old 04-05-2011, 21:23   #27

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I'm afraid I ignore all those "safe to eject hardware" warnings and just yank the bugger, too. The few times I've had a lock-up, it's done the trick.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:48   #28

Boat: Moody 42 Ketch 1977
Re: OpenCPN on Windows 7 Starter

Hi Guys,
For almost a year I have put up with my open cpn and a bu 353 combination crashing whenever it feels like it, i thought one of the new releases would fix the problem, however this has not been the case.
I gave up and bought a Transystem GM 2.. Guess what i cant get this to work at all..
Any ideas, I have un installed the driver for the 353, and successful instalation of the new drivers.. no luck..

HELP please..
John.
nostramo.moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:03   #29

Boat: Phantom 19

John...
Never seen this unit and just looking at Transystem Inc. home
Did you go through the obvious steps already?
- Driver installed and device looks ok in Windows' device manager
- COM port is the one you expect it to be and data is received by the tools provided with the unit (The bottom of the page looks like they supply GpsView, if not, download it there)
- The baud rate is correct (This unit comes with 115200 as default)

More and more detailed info needed to be any more helpful

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:38   #30

Boat: Moody 42 Ketch 1977

Hi,
Thanks for that, I have checked device manager, it says ok.
Got the latest driver.
Tried it at 9600 and 4800 baud, no good
opened gps view software and cant get any results there either.
I only bought the thing cause someone else with bu 353 issues said this worked perfect..
I am so sad...
cheers, john.
nostramo.moody is offline   Reply With Quote