Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29   #196
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

Vlad70...

OK, give me a couple of days, and I'll report back.
Welcome aboard!

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:49   #197

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70

Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:06   #198

Boat: HR382

Hello all
is there any progess with a radar plugin for BR24 3G Radar ?
hwecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 13:04   #199

Boat: Islander 30 Mk II

Hi hwecken,
Go to https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi for the latest version. It's being updated regularly. The 3G and 4G models have been added to the program which should be good with the latest OCPN version.
hasta,
Dave
cowelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 13:55   #200

Boat: HR382
Hi Dave,
thanks for that information.
Is there anyone out there who has already done a windows version of this plugin?
vb Hartmut
hwecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 16:08   #201
Marine Service Provider

Vlad70...

Attached here is the Garmin Radar PlugIn for Mac.
You will need to rename the file to remove the .pdf extension necessary for Forum uploads.

This is a 64-bit PlugIn, so you will need to download the latest 64-bit Beta (3.3.719 or later) of OpenCPN to exercise this PlugIn.

http://opencpn.org/ocpn/downloads/be...PN_3.3.719.dmg

This PlugIn works fine for me in simple tests of master and slave mode. Don't forget that you must add a network interface by which the scanner may be accessed at 172.16.2.0/16 if you wish to use master mode.

Have Fun, and I look forward to your feedback.
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf libgradar_pi.dylib.pdf (337.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-08-2013, 16:14   #202
Marine Service Provider

hwecken....

I do not have access to a BR24 scanner, so cannot support directly a Windows PlugIn.

Any Windows/BR24 users able to volunteer to do this build and upload?

Dave
Old 06-08-2013, 10:15   #203

Hi Dave R,
He was meaning me. I've a seperate line of corr. with the dll in tow.

hasta,
Dave C.
Old 07-08-2013, 17:29   #204

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
hwecken....

I do not have access to a BR24 scanner, so cannot support directly a Windows PlugIn.

Dave
Dave, I don't have BR24, but could try to build it for Windows if that would help? Then hwecken could try it?

--whoops Coweld has that covered!! Sorry.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:55   #205

Boat: Bavaria 38
Send a message via Skype™ to Vlad70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Vlad70...

Attached here is the Garmin Radar PlugIn for Mac.
You will need to rename the file to remove the .pdf extension necessary for Forum uploads.

This is a 64-bit PlugIn, so you will need to download the latest 64-bit Beta (3.3.719 or later) of OpenCPN to exercise this PlugIn.

http://opencpn.org/ocpn/downloads/be...PN_3.3.719.dmg

This PlugIn works fine for me in simple tests of master and slave mode. Don't forget that you must add a network interface by which the scanner may be accessed at 172.16.2.0/16 if you wish to use master mode.

Have Fun, and I look forward to your feedback.
Dave
Hi Dave!

Thank You,

I try test it next few days, and write reports

Regards, Vlad
Vlad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:59   #206
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I
Have a br24, we are actively cruisng in Maine right now, and we ave several pcs. How can I help?

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
hwecken....

Dave
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:01   #207

Boat: Dufour 35

I had the following errors when trying to build the BR24 plugin on 64 bits Kubuntu 13.04

Code:
Scanning dependencies of target br24radar-i18n
[ 67%] br24radar-i18n: Done.
[ 67%] Built target br24radar-i18n
Scanning dependencies of target br24radar_pi
[ 67%] Building CXX object plugins/BR24radar_pi/CMakeFiles/br24radar_pi.dir/src/br24radar_pi.cpp.o
......./OpenCPN_alpha/OpenCPN/plugins/BR24radar_pi/src/br24radar_pi.cpp: In function ‘double radar_distance(double, double, double, double, char)’:
......./OpenCPN_alpha/OpenCPN/plugins/BR24radar_pi/src/br24radar_pi.cpp:124:91: error: ‘double radar_distance(double, double, double, double, char)’ was declared ‘extern’ and later ‘static’ [-fpermissive]
In file included from ........../OpenCPN_alpha/OpenCPN/plugins/BR24radar_pi/src/br24radar_pi.cpp:58:0:
......./OpenCPN_alpha/OpenCPN/plugins/BR24radar_pi/src/br24radar_pi.h:73:8: error: previous declaration of ‘double radar_distance(double, double, double, double, char)’ [-fpermissive]
make[2]: *** [plugins/BR24radar_pi/CMakeFiles/br24radar_pi.dir/src/br24radar_pi.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [plugins/BR24radar_pi/CMakeFiles/br24radar_pi.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 23:18   #208

Hi, does anybody knows how can i plug a laptop with active OCPN to my new raymarine 49 VHF so the VHF gets GPS information?

Thanks.
dinajui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 09:10   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
I had the following errors when trying to build the BR24 plugin on 64 bits Kubuntu 13.04

Thomas

Change the header file BR24radar_pi.h line 73 to add
"static".

Kees is back from his voyaging and we'll get the new versions of the BR24G package straightened out.
Old 20-08-2013, 21:40   #210

Quandary about 3G/4G MARPA on Navico radars

Thanks to the brilliant work by the Daves and Kees we now have good functional radar plugins for both the Garmin and the Navico/Lowrance/Simrad/B&G 3G/4G radar.

I have an older boat with a lot of NMEA0183 and no NMEA2000. The quandary is about MARPA. If you don't care about MARPA you can buy a simple standalone 3G Navico radome and plug the ethernet cable into a local hub and voila, radar. Even with the state of today's plugins this would give you basic radar functionality in OpenCPN and I'm sure that the plugins will only get more refined over time. To be explicit: the radar internet cable from the radome is a combined ethernet cable and a power cable. As long as you provide some power down the red, yellow and black wires and have a hub, that's all you need.

What if you want MARPA? On the Navico radars (they're all the same regardless of whether they are called Simrad/B&G/Lowrance) you need to inject a NMEA2000 signal into the radar. The radar acts as a server and handles the tracking of MARPA targets. Presumably we have to tell the radar which targets to track. Of course, we don't yet have any MARPA functionality in the current plugins, but this would represent the official Navico way of handling MARPA.

In order to do this injection you also need two more physical parts: (a) a RL10 interface box and (b) a NMEA2000 to Simnet converter kit.

I should note that looking at Defender it appears difficult to buy a 4G radome without the RL10 box.

Of course, you also need a NMEA2000 stream which, if you don't already have, you can get opensource through CANBOAT and an Activesense NPT1 dongle or from Navico with a RL11 interface box and a NMEA converter for heading data (an AT10HD). It isn't clear whether the latter option would actually provide all the necessary information for the radar to do MARPA.

All told, the hardware for the injection of the NMEA2000 data into the radar would add a fair amount of complexity and dollars to the basic radome.

So, finally, the question....is there a clear path ahead for OpenCPN plugins and MARPA? It would seem like there could be four future approaches:

(1) Don't handle MARPA at all in OpenCPN and leave it to any attached MFD.

(2) Support the MARPA calculations produced by the radome - i.e. use all the Navico hardware - and have OpenCPN tell the radome which targets to track.

(3) Do MARPA entirely in software inside OpenCPN so that MARPA is independent of the radome. This would presumably mean discriminating between the different moving blobs - don't know if this is possible.

(4) Figure out a way to inject the necessary heading data into the ethernet stream inside the plugin so that the RL10 is not needed.

For those of us toying with purchasing hardware, can the developers give us any hints which way forward is most likely and practical? I'm not asking for MARPA capability now though I am hoping for it sometime. Rather I'd like to try to futureproof my expenditures.

Pete
GHammond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar