Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 24-01-2013, 11:13   #106

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: OpenCPN Radar Overlay PlugIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavids View Post
Stefano,

What is the existing Android app that can control OpenCPN?

Greg

Its called a VCN (virtual control network)
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 19:01   #107

Radar is not the only information that is on the Garmin Ethernet Network. They are providing sounder data as well as GPS information. Has anyone spent time gathering some of the other information so it can be displayed? I am starting down this road but am running into a couple of walls trying to reverse engineer the information in the packets. Would love any advise. I have documented much of my progress here: Garmin Marine Networking - Pat McQueen Home I would appreciate any pointers or recommendations on how to reverse engineer some of the other data.
patmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 04:39   #108

Boat: Wasa 410

I guess you have seen this?
Roboat: Radar
There is a pdf with some protocol info that may be of help.
/J
jonasaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 05:52   #109

Have anyone made any progress with the plugin for BR24/3G/4G radar plugin ? Otherwise I will try to do such plugin. I did a quick standalone prototype a year ago in QT framework to see that it works and I can confirm that it works with Lowrance 4G radar.

If anyone interested you find my prototyping at https://github.com/obit/QRadar the code are quite old but the past couple of weeks I've been working some with the prototype but it's not pushed yet. The features I've been working on are arpa and I'll have some success on it. As for now I'm using opencv with SurfFeatureDetector and FlannBasedMatcher with knnMatch for detecting and tracking objects. This seems to work quite well but as it winter in Sweden right now, I can only simulate the radar image of other boats.

//Thomas
soderbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 14:24   #110

Hi Soderbet,

cowelld did a proto plugin for the BR24 radar (see post #100 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1106257); I tested it, with positive result, in a simulated environment by supplying radar scans available with the OpenBR24 project (Roboat team) beacause I wasn't able to go to the boat to test with my 3G radar until now.

Maybe you can cooperate to develop a common plugin with more features.

Anyway I'd like to test your plugin, why not the last version that has very interesting features like Marpa and network images for smartphones, but I'm not able to compile: is it possible to get the compiled dll for windows xp (32bit)?

Thanks,

Stefano
fastm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41   #111

Boat: Islander 30 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastm View Post
Hi Soderbet,

cowelld did a proto plugin for the BR24 radar (see post #100 http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1106257); I tested it, with positive result, in a simulated environment by supplying radar scans available with the OpenBR24 project (Roboat team) beacause I wasn't able to go to the boat to test with my 3G radar until now.

Maybe you can cooperate to develop a common plugin with more features.

Anyway I'd like to test your plugin, why not the last version that has very interesting features like Marpa and network images for smartphones, but I'm not able to compile: is it possible to get the compiled dll for windows xp (32bit)?

Thanks,

Stefano

Hi Stefano and Soderbet,
I've messaged S. about coordinating his work with mine in getting the BR24 to use MARPA data as well as being able to designate bogies and have them added to the AIS display/data base. That last is my concept of how to display radar targets (bogies) with the current system.
That obviously implies modification of the AIS program. I'll be in contact with Dave R after we resolve some other issues concerning the latest roll-out of OpenCPN. I've compiled a new BR24 dll for the Beta version and can forward it if you want to download the package and test it. (They're looking for comments.)
My latest efforts have been trying to refine the display and do some on-the-water testing. I've moved my boat down to San Francisco Bay and so have a chance to see better radar vistas. I hope to have all the hardware pieces in place this month.

hasta,
Dave
cowelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:47   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowelld View Post
Hi Stefano and Soderbet,
I've messaged S. about coordinating his work with mine in getting the BR24 to use MARPA data as well as being able to designate bogies and have them added to the AIS display/data base. That last is my concept of how to display radar targets (bogies) with the current system.
That obviously implies modification of the AIS program. I'll be in contact with Dave R after we resolve some other issues concerning the latest roll-out of OpenCPN. I've compiled a new BR24 dll for the Beta version and can forward it if you want to download the package and test it. (They're looking for comments.)
My latest efforts have been trying to refine the display and do some on-the-water testing. I've moved my boat down to San Francisco Bay and so have a chance to see better radar vistas. I hope to have all the hardware pieces in place this month.

hasta,
Dave
Hello Dave,

I agree with your marpa target management and I think that the 2 type of targets (ais and marpa) should be recognizable one from the other.
I am interested to test your last dll version: can you upload it or send it by e-mail?

Thanks a lot,

Stefano
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17   #113

Hi Stefano,
It will be a couple of days until I get back home to my computer. This weekend I'm celebrating my 65th in beautiful Santa Cruz. Do you have the MARPA setup working with your NSS? Thomas doesn't have access to his boat right now and I don't have my system operational yet. If you do, can you run some Wireshark recordings of the Ethernet signals between the RI10/11 and BR24? If you can then Thomas would like to get copied at 'thomas at obit.se' as would I at 'david dot cowell at ymail dot com'.
I've been in contact with Dave Register about another project for a plug-in that will automatically calculate laylines and tack angles for best vmg to a mark. Unfortunately I'm too late in the Beta cycle to have it functional now. Depending on his priorities that and the MARPA system will have to have wait for system modification to see activation. There seems to be only four of us using the OpenCPN-Simrad connection.
hasta,
Dave
Old 10-02-2013, 17:30   #114

I too am interested in what is available for an openCPN plug-in for a BR24 or 3G radar. I just found openCPN, as I am finally in a boat where radar is a feature I need. I have access to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, WinXP, Win7 and Mac OS 10.6.8 hardware, and have openCPN running in ubuntu on an eeePC 900A now.

Is there something I can do to help the project (and myself)? I was planning on a 3G radar (Lowrance?) purchase soon, or perhaps 4G, but that seems to be significantly different from a BR24 or 3G.

If I could get any plug-in now, I am willing to test whatever I can. I don't write code, but if I had hardware that was of interest to test on, i would be willing to do so.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowelld View Post
Hi Stefano,
It will be a couple of days until I get back home to my computer. This weekend I'm celebrating my 65th in beautiful Santa Cruz. Do you have the MARPA setup working with your NSS? Thomas doesn't have access to his boat right now and I don't have my system operational yet. If you do, can you run some Wireshark recordings of the Ethernet signals between the RI10/11 and BR24? If you can then Thomas would like to get copied at 'thomas at obit.se' as would I at 'david dot cowell at ymail dot com'.
I've been in contact with Dave Register about another project for a plug-in that will automatically calculate laylines and tack angles for best vmg to a mark. Unfortunately I'm too late in the Beta cycle to have it functional now. Depending on his priorities that and the MARPA system will have to have wait for system modification to see activation. There seems to be only four of us using the OpenCPN-Simrad connection.
hasta,
Dave
Fishstretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 13:59   #115

Hi Dave,
Happy Birthday and have a nice time in Santa Cruz!
My marpa setup it's ok, but I hope I can have the radar working with the switch in the middle because last time it was not working in this configuration; I'll do my best and I'll record with Wireshark. Maybe I'm going to the boat next weekend.
There isn't any hurry for the marpa availability from my side, but it would be nice to have it by next July to test it during the summer holiday.
Ciao,

Stefano
Old 14-02-2013, 03:50   #116

Fishstretcher,
You'll have to email me directly at the above address so I can send you a copy of the dll. I'm currently working with the Beta version of OpenCPN that's not the 3.0.2 in the download. I only have it for the Win version and if you're not into the software or don't have the hardware it won't do anything for you.
Not quite ready for prime time.

Dave.
Old 27-02-2013, 18:51   #117

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thank you Dave and everyone who contributed skills and time. It a remarkable community.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 15:40   #118

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Hi Guys, ok, I'm back in NZ after 3 years crusing. Radar (nobeltec) has packed up and I want to replace it. I'm happy to contribute here, I'm an IT engineer with over 20 years experience, so the hardware will be no issue. Unfortunenatley not a programmer though. I'm going to buy a suitable radar - looks like the br24 is best? Where do I find the cabling info, and get a copy of the DLL? I'll have daily access to the boat (marina in front yard) and will be happy to test anything. Wireshark no prob. Comments on best head unit etc gratefully accepted. Great job so far guys!
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:51   #119

Hello Dave and Thomas,

I tested shortly but successfully the Dave's plugin and here a short report.
1) The radar picture is shown correctly; with the distance correction factor at 0.62 the distances shown are correct. As OCPN is not using HDG for boat orientation, with the boat still the radar overlay is not ok, but with boat moving and good COG the overlay is ok (see attached picture).
2) It seems the autoscale set is a little too big compared to the chart screen, so the image definition is a little rough (improvement done setting the radar scale with NSS or with OpenBR24)
3) I couldn't get the radar picture shown without starting OpenBR24 before and setting it to live data.
4) I couldn't switch the radar on and off with OCPN plugin (plugin icon); OpenBR24 switch works with and without NSS connected on ethernet.
5) I did dome wireshark captures, but I forgot to do it while using MARPA (sorry)
If you need clarifications please send me a pm; I'll send the captures via e-mail (to verify how to do it for the big size).
How is it the plugin work going on? are there new plugin versions?
Dave, thanks for the excellent work done.

Ciao,
Stefano
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radar_0cpn.PNG
Views:	2687
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	56253  
Old 07-03-2013, 15:14   #120

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Great to have an overlay but for us with standard radars could Opencpn just read TLL sentences?
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn, paracelle, radar