Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2015, 11:00   #616

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

What he said...

Used to be opposite for crt monitors.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:16   #617

Boat: Fantasia 35

Microsoft Announces Windows For Raspberry Pi 2 - Slashdot
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 17:42   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
Right.. but that is the embedded version of windows. It will not run regular win32 apps. So no OpenCPN in Windows on a Pi2
Old 02-02-2015, 17:52   #619

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Why can't you recompile for embedded windows? If visual studio doesn't work mingw should.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 20:59   #620

ok so linux neophyte here that I am.

I am trying to install 4.0 on both myt raspberryt pi and my odroid.

How do I
a: upgrade the 3.2 install on the raspberry pi, or the 3.3 install on the odroid
or
b: uninstall the old version and install the new version....

Thanks in advance for the help.

;-)
Guy
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 21:16   #621

Boat: Phantom 19

Guy...
Simply install the new version, it replaces what is needed. Unless you built the old one manually and installed to /usr/local and want to install 4.0 from PPA the package to /usr
If it is the case, prior to the installation do
Code:
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/*/opencpn
Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 00:00   #622

ok that is currently compiling on the raspberry pi. Which I don't have a lot of hope for because it is so slow.

So I am trying to get 4.0 on the odroid, which I had high hopes for. (The lack of hardware opengl is really annoying on all of these boards. And I ordered a new raspberry pi2 to try before figuring out that it is still hampered by the closed proprietary chip that they picked... Sigh... I think that is going to be a waste of $65).

The odroid I installed from a custom package made by one of the members of the odroid community (maveric) who I think is on here too. Which supposedly gave me a good GLSHIM to make the whole thing work with some hardware opengl.

here is what is happening. (i don;t have a great grasp of linux yet. But I do know that I am trying to compile the source code, using a make file and that I have an error creating the make file because of library dependencies that are not being met. Namely wxwidgets (X windows code sections???).

so here is what happens:OK so I am trying to install the latest version of OpenCPN, 4.0

If I try and install it manually using this:
git clone git://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN.git

followed by this:
$ cd opencpn # unless already in this directory.
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake ..
$ make

which I understand and telling building a make file to get ready to comile the source code.
(There is a lot of magic that happens then and if you have just the right incantation.... Viola as the say in franceland..... out pops a new version of OpenCPN).

However I get an error about not having wxwidgets
odroid@odroid:~/OpenCPN/build$ cmake ..
-- *** Build Architecture is armhf
-- *** Staging to build opencpn 4.0.0 ***
-- *** Package will NOT include documentation ***
-- *** Package will NOT include GSHHS data ***
-- *** Package will NOT include tide and current data ***
-- Found OpenGL...
-- Lib: /usr/local/lib/libGLU.so/usr/local/lib/libGL.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libSM.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libICE.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libX11.so/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libXext.so
-- Include: /usr/include
-- Found OpenGLESv2
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
Could NOT find wxWidgets (missing: wxWidgets_FOUND)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindwxWidgets.cmake:832 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
CMakeLists.txt:286 (FIND_PACKAGE)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/odroid/OpenCPN/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

So I read up on the wxwidget install on the odroid site. Which all keeps me going in a circle.... It wont install with my installed gl libraries that support some hardware acceletation that were so nicely provided by afore mentioned mavric.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Guy
Old 06-02-2015, 00:17   #623

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
ok that is currently compiling on the raspberry pi. Which I don't have a lot of hope for because it is so slow.

The odroid I installed from a custom package made by one of the members of the odroid community (maveric) who I think is on here too. Which supposedly gave me a good GLSHIM to make the whole thing work with some hardware opengl.

So I read up on the wxwidget install on the odroid site. Which all keeps me going in a circle.... It wont install with my installed gl libraries that support some hardware acceletation that were so nicely provided by afore mentioned mavric.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Guy
The gl libraries you installed... how?

wxwidgets is just a software layer so you can swap the libraries it callse like glshim->opengles or opengl without recompiling wxwidgets. Really all you need is to apt-get the wxwigets, and if apt-get gets confused, then do it when the software opengl is in place then swap the libraries after, that should work.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:52   #624

ODROID Forum • View topic - Odroid for sailboat navigation? Help a non-techie?

I started that thread, and my only purpose in getting the odroid was to be able to run opencpn on it with the radar overlay. Trying to make a simple one box low power inexpensive unit with enough processing power to be able to use vector and raster charts and be realistic in it's performance. This thread was where I got the Mesa drivers for the odroid, and followed the instructions for a glshim and gles (drivers?) on this thread.

If you can review the thread and figure out where it is that I went wrong and how to get opencpn 4.0 to install it would save me having to reburn the linux distro on the card which takes 4 hours for some reason, and starting all over with setting the machine up and trying to figure out the graphics stuff again. I would really appreciate it...

Thanks again for the help!

guy
:-)
Old 06-02-2015, 12:18   #625

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
ODROID Forum • View topic - Odroid for sailboat navigation? Help a non-techie?

I started that thread, and my only purpose in getting the odroid was to be able to run opencpn on it with the radar overlay. Trying to make a simple one box low power inexpensive unit with enough processing power to be able to use vector and raster charts and be realistic in it's performance. This thread was where I got the Mesa drivers for the odroid, and followed the instructions for a glshim and gles (drivers?) on this thread.

If you can review the thread and figure out where it is that I went wrong and how to get opencpn 4.0 to install it would save me having to reburn the linux distro on the card which takes 4 hours for some reason, and starting all over with setting the machine up and trying to figure out the graphics stuff again. I would really appreciate it...

Thanks again for the help!

guy
I don't know much (anything) about Odroid.
I am also new to Linux.
I managed to get OpenCPN running on a CubieTruck with the help of many on this forum; I also have my Navico 4G RADAR scanner connected and it seems to be working well (installed in my attic).
Here are some instructions that I collected and refined for building the software required for CubieTruck:
Building and installing on CubieTruck with Hardware Acceleration | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Hope that helps,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:38   #626

Thanks JM

Your directions were what convinced me to buy a odroid and give this whole thing a shot.

I had the 3.3 Opencpn working on it. Although I was trying to figure out how to install the Garmin Radar plugin, which seems to have more support than the Navico unit. (I do think the Navico 4g unit is a really great idea, especially for low power small boat operations. However last I heard the plugin didn't support the 4g unit, and the navico/simrad/b&G plugin was kind of abandoned.) Besides I already had a garmin HD unit sitting around from another project...

The choice of the Odroid over the cubi truck was that the cubi truck didn't seem to have as actrive forum for helping this linux neophyte try to get it working, and the Odroid had a lot better preformance than the cubi truck. When I had opencpn 3.3 on it was working way better than I thought it would. Especially with the mali drivers that the odroid forum users provided.

My lack of understanding on how Linux really works is killing me here. Having been heavily invested in the windows world, and being good at that isn't translating very well at all.....

Guy
Old 06-02-2015, 12:50   #627

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Thanks JM

Your directions were what convinced me to buy a odroid and give this whole thing a shot.

I had the 3.3 Opencpn working on it. Although I was trying to figure out how to install the Garmin Radar plugin, which seems to have more support than the Navico unit. (I do think the Navico 4g unit is a really great idea, especially for low power small boat operations. However last I heard the plugin didn't support the 4g unit, and the navico/simrad/b&G plugin was kind of abandoned.) Besides I already had a garmin HD unit sitting around from another project...

The choice of the Odroid over the cubi truck was that the cubi truck didn't seem to have as actrive forum for helping this linux neophyte try to get it working, and the Odroid had a lot better preformance than the cubi truck. When I had opencpn 3.3 on it was working way better than I thought it would. Especially with the mali drivers that the odroid forum users provided.

My lack of understanding on how Linux really works is killing me here. Having been heavily invested in the windows world, and being good at that isn't translating very well at all.....

Guy
Sorry, I can't really help with the Odroid. I just wanted to set the record straight about the Navico RADAR plugin:

The 4G 3G Br24 Navico/Simrad/Lawrence/B&G RADAR plugin is working very well in testing. Will know better when it gets installed on the boat this spring.

If you had OpenCPN 3.3 working, It seems you should be able to get 4.0 working.

Good Luck,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 15:41   #628

With a little help on the odroid forum this afternoon I got it working.

It crashes instantly on selecting a vector chart, and I know I have solved this problem before I just don't remember how...

Where is the information on the Navico radar plugin?

Do you have g4 or only a g3.

You can run vector charts with 4.0 right?

Thanks,
Guy
Old 06-02-2015, 16:22   #629

I have opencpn 4.0 running on the odroid it is doing great except for a couple of problems.

One of which I know I have encountered before I just can't remember where.

I have installed the charts of California from Noaa. Both the ENC's and Rasters.

'The rasters work fine, but the ENC's crash opencpn here is what my output is when running from a terminal window.
16:19:00 PST: 2015-02-06
16:19:00 PST: ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
16:19:00 PST: Version 4.0.0 Build 2015-01-08
16:19:00 PST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 2.8.12
16:19:00 PST: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 2022 mb, mem_initial: 8 mb
16:19:00 PST: SData_Locn is /usr/local/share/opencpn/
16:19:00 PST: Using existing Config_File: /home/odroid/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
16:19:00 PST: Styles loading from /usr/local/share/opencpn/uidata/styles.xml
16:19:00 PST: No styles found at: /home/odroid/
16:19:00 PST: No styles found at: /home/odroid/.opencpn/
16:19:00 PST: Detected display size: 508 mm
16:19:00 PST: Detected display size: 508 mm
16:19:00 PST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 37.78, -122.253
16:19:00 PST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 37.7793, -122.253
16:19:01 PST: Loading navobjects from navobj.xml
16:19:01 PST: Done loading navobjects
16:19:01 PST: System default Language: en_US
16:19:01 PST: Opencpn language set to: en_US
16:19:01 PST: ChartSymbols loaded from /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data/chartsymbols.xml
16:19:01 PST: Using s57data in /usr/local/share/opencpn/s57data
16:19:01 PST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 37.78, -122.253
16:19:01 PST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 37.7793, -122.253
16:19:01 PST: Creating glChartCanvas
16:19:01 PST: PlugInManager searching for PlugIns in location /usr/local/lib/opencpn
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Renderer String: Mali-400 MP
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Version reported: 1.4 glshim wrapper
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Texture rectangle format: 0
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> glGenerateMipmap unavailable
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Using Vertexbuffer Objects
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Framebuffer Objects unavailable
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Using Stencil buffer clipping
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Using Scissor Clipping
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Not Using compression
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Minimum cartographic line width: 1.0
16:19:01 PST: OpenGL-> Minimum symbol line width: 1.0
16:19:02 PST: ChartDB Cache policy: Application target is 50 MBytes
16:19:02 PST: Loading chart db version: V018
16:19:02 PST: Chartdb: Chart directory list follows
16:19:02 PST: Chart directory #0: /home/odroid/Documents/charts/BSB_ROOT
16:19:02 PST: Chart directory #1: /home/odroid/Documents/charts/ENC_ROOT
16:19:02 PST: GPS Watchdog Timeout is: 6 sec.
16:19:02 PST: Unable to initialize background world map. No GSHHS datafiles found in /usr/local/share/opencpn/gshhs/
16:19:02 PST: Loading World Chart Q=0 in 0 ms.
16:19:02 PST: GSHHS World chart files have wrong version. Found 0, expected 210-220.
16:19:02 PST: Loading World Chart Q=0 in 0 ms.
16:19:02 PST: Initializing Chart /home/odroid/Documents/charts/BSB_ROOT/18650/18650_1.KAP
16:19:04 PST: ***GPS Watchdog timeout at Lat:37.7793 Lon: -122.253
16:19:24 PST: Chart cache purge
16:19:24 PST: Initializing Chart /home/odroid/Documents/charts/ENC_ROOT/US5CA13M/US5CA13M.000
16:19:24 PST: Error: can't open file '/home/odroid/.opencpn/SENC/US5CA13M.S57' (error 13: Permission denied)
16:19:24 PST: Error: can't open file '/home/odroid/.opencpn/SENC/US5CA13M.S57' (error 13: Permission denied)
16:19:24 PST: Error: can't seek on file descriptor -1 (error 9: Bad file descriptor)
16:19:28 PST: Initializing Chart /home/odroid/Documents/charts/ENC_ROOT/US4CA17M/US4CA17M.000

Anybody got any hints?
Thanks,
Guy
Old 06-02-2015, 17:22   #630

As a troubleshooting step, disable OpenGL in the settings tab of OpenCPN. I'm guessing it will work with vector charts without OpenGL.

Tags
opencpn