Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 07:10   #76

Boat: Duet 16
Re: OpenCPN Runs on Embedded ARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
sevanupola,

I haven't seen any posters in this thread reporting on gps usage with their OpenCPN installations. While I don't believe it should be a major impediment to installing OpenCPN on an android tablet, posters in my thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...now-94064.html indicate this THE stumbling block preventing them from doing so. I use 'dropped marks' edited to reflect my gps coordinates. This shows my actual position anytime I feel it is prudent to know. Much easier and accurate than plotting current position on a paper chart.

Maurice, a poster in the thread says he will write an apk to send nmea data to OpenCPN and other programs. His workload and a cold have delayed his doing this, and in his last post said there would be no progress until February. Hoping to hear from him soon. In the meanwhile we have received no offers from anybody else to write an apk capable of delivering 'fake' nmea data - generated from a given position to OpenCPN. This will help OpenCPN users with ROMS that do not handle nmea data well, if at all.

My guidelines for doing what you have apparently figured out how to do yourself without relying on my 'how to' is here: Building on Motorola Xoom | Official OpenCPN Homepage

armido
Armido, i have bluetooth GPS receiver and my tablet under android has bluetooth. I connected GPS and tablet under debian and GPS receiver works well with OpenCPN. I did it like at this link: Using Bluetooth GPS - Ubuntu Forums. I can add to this that you should run opencpn under root or do chmod 666 /dev/rfcomm0 every time you run ocpn. So, bluetooth under debian start connection automatically to GPS.
sevanopula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 17:20   #77

Boat: Novara 16.4m catamaran

The issue of data is where OpenCPN and other options always falls down. Somehow you need to get wind and compass data into the program, and that always seems to lead you back to expensive proprietary hardware, and interface problems.
Thats why I started Freeboard ( Freeboard [MeshCMS] ). The arduino parts are able to use common hardware to create NMEA or whatever output, and the server part can offer that over wireless as TCP/IP, websockets, or http/comet etc. Or the server can just be used to broadcast you existing NMEA data.

I think its an important part in breaking the proprietary stranglehold - comments would be welcome
Rob
motu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:52   #78

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Rob,

Great idea! I wonder though, is an onboard wifi link required? And if so, what can you recommend for sailors who's battery reserves are minimal and space limitations severe? Is there a possibility this can designed to work over bluetooth? Most tablets have this capability.

Thanks!
armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 07:01   #79

sevanopula,

I read your post above only after responding to your comment in my thread. I wonder if you can ask the dev of Linux Deploy about the possibility of adding a script that will perform the chmod operation of /dev/rfcomm0 automatically whenever OpenCPN is started?

Thanks,
armido
Old 18-02-2013, 11:46   #80

Boat: Duet 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by armido View Post
sevanopula,

I read your post above only after responding to your comment in my thread. I wonder if you can ask the dev of Linux Deploy about the possibility of adding a script that will perform the chmod operation of /dev/rfcomm0 automatically whenever OpenCPN is started?

Thanks,
armido

armido,

We discussed about this. The recommendation was to use init scripts or to give 666 mod to all devices after its connecting. I have not investigated this problem in depth. I run opencpn under root.
sevanopula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 11:54   #81

Boat: Novara 16.4m catamaran

Armido,

Freeboard includes an internal wifi access point. On my own boat Ive measured power usage of the whole lot, including wifi at 0.4 Amps @ 12V, which is pretty good, certainly way below any PC based system. It actually runs at 5V, so you could run the whole thing from a torch battery if needed.

Using bluetooth would probably not save any appreciable power, but would be much more difficult technically because wifi is multi-point, bluetooth is one-to-one.

Rob
motu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 06:52   #82

tiki,

I apologize for the 'off topic' discussion about gps issues related to OpenCPN running in a chroot environment on android tablets. Do your devices have features that permit using an external gps?

armido
Old 10-11-2013, 09:40   #83

I was debating getting either a Raspberry pi or a Pandaboard and trying to run opencpn on it. I have read the whole thread here, but really didn't get a feel if anyone had it running completely successfully with a GPS?

If so, (I am not a developer in C), can anyone tell me how to install it?

Also which of the other ad ins work with it on the Raspberry Pi or the Pandaboard?

Thanks,
Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:01   #84

Boat: Phantom 19

Guy...
Just follow Compiling - Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage
And then let us know which plugins do work and which don't. We sure can fix them if needed.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 16:57   #85
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
I was debating getting either a Raspberry pi or a Pandaboard and trying to run opencpn on it. I have read the whole thread here, but really didn't get a feel if anyone had it running completely successfully with a GPS? If so, (I am not a developer in C), can anyone tell me how to install it? Also which of the other ad ins work with it on the Raspberry Pi or the Pandaboard? Thanks, Guy :-)
I got it running on a beaglebone black. The beaglebone falls down driving video, as it's currently frambuffer only X. It wasn't overly stable. I recently got a Pi free with a sensor order, but I haven't really messed with it.

I did get OpenCPN running with the Adafruit GPS module wired into a UART on the Beaglebone and it worked fine. Probably should work with the RPi the same. The earliest I could check would be Wednesday (stuck at work).

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 18:22   #86

This would be awesome, if it worked, as they are blowing them out because they use the ericson chip set. GPS, Compass, and Motion sensors all on board, along with a LI ION battery charger. For less than $50.00!!

SKY-S9500-ULP-C02 (SNOWBALL PDK) - CALAO Systems Online Shop

However I don't code, and it looks like some coding would be necessary.

Guy
Old 11-11-2013, 06:09   #87

Boat: Phantom 19

Guy...
Snowball is dead - there's no more ST-Ericsson joint venture. You have to chose another board if you want some future updates...
Shame, this one was really nice.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:24   #88

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Links to Alisdair's notes on OCPN on pi are in his post #69 in this thread

The adafruit ultimate gps works well with the pi: Has the right ttl output and takes 3.3 or 5v input so super-easy to hook up to the "console" port on the pi. Personally I don't run OCPN directly on the pi, but I do use the pi as a multiplexer, taking GPS (from the adafruit thingy) and AIS info from it over the network to OCPN running on a separate laptop.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:55   #89

Trying to understand here, so sorry if this has been covered.

I am interested in running any embedded board with linux, installing OPENCPN on it, and having it work. By work I mean be able to load view and zoom on charts, and at a bare minimum have position data available on the chart. The other add on components running like weather, routing and the like would be great.

I have a number of laptops running opencpn already. Running the Pi as a MUX is interesting, but I don't see what that accomplishes?

So does the Pandaboard have enough processor and memory to run opencpn? It seems that the Raspberry Pi does not have enough resources to handle the graphics of the charts?

Thanks,
Guy
Old 11-11-2013, 09:11   #90

This is a fast-changing area. It's fun to play with the current crop (I have some Raspberry Pi's) but for a long-term embedded platform for OpenCPN, I'm gonna wait for a bit; the coming ARM SBCs will be much more capable.

In the meantime, i like netbooks. They're available used for under $100, they're complete and self-contained. Insert a bootable SD card with Navigatrix and charts, plug in a GPS USB fob (or a serial-USB adaptor taking a NMEA0183 feed), and you have a running OpenCPN platform in about 30 minutes.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn