Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 08:13   #16

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN segmentation error in Debian Squeeze

Lars...
The package on Launchpad is automatically built against the versions of the packages that it then "requires". That's why there's another package for every Ubuntu edition. It does not mean that it will necessarily not work with older/newer version of the same, but there's no guarantee...
Squeeze is old and there's not much we can do about it - according to for example [HOWTO] Add Launchpad Ubuntu PPA in Debian Squeeze Testing | The _khAttAm_ blog you might have luck with Maverick or better Lucid packages on it. But what I suggest is just to build yourself.
And of course, you might or might not be affected by bugs fixed between wx2.8.10 and the current version, same with the other libraries.
BTW, any reason not to use Wheezy, if it has to be Debian at all, which to be honest I personally consider kind of a pain on a desktop system.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 13:54   #17

Boat: 1911, 6mR, 31 ft

Pavel!

Sorry to get back to you so late!
I wanted to test a suspicion.

Quote:
any reason not to use Wheezy
Can I get back to that? I think I've implied some of the reasons in my previous lines above.

Even if the upgrade Lenny->Squeeze seemed to have been ok, except for OpenCPN, I had a suspicion that the upgrade (instead of fresh install) might have corrupted anything "under the hood", for instance made my building/installing environment insane?
I wanted to try that out so I conducted a larger build project, building gnuradio, rtl-sdr, osmocom, gr-ais and gr-air-modes. It took some hours, but it all worked smoothly! The gr-ais-install was the main reason for my upgrade to Squeeze, but I wanted to display it in OpenCPN!
Encouraged by that -and your returning suggestion- I again tried to build the stable OpenCPN from git, this time avoiding
# make package (though I had cmake 2.8.2 in Squeeze).
It installed! Perhaps "make package" was all the problem.

BUT, as before, OpenCPN failed and kernel reported
Code:
[ 8766.803328] opencpn[11462]: segfault at 4 ip b695a29c sp bfac9d70 error 4 in libGL.so.1.2[b68ed000+b4000]
Now..... it seems Squeeze is hostile to OpenCPN? Not my integrated intel graphics, Lenny could handle OpenGL and OpenCPN,
You mentioned a switch to turn off OpenGL in 3.2.2. It almost seemed as if you have met this problem connected to the integrated intel graphics before? Is that so?

Now I know I can build and make direct install of my build. Do you think I can get something meningful out of your debug-version by building it? I mean, OpenCPN crashes directly after me pressing OK in the welcome-message. Can it report anything in those circumstances?

And, besides, I could'nt find any unistall-script in my stable build (my main reason for making packages!), is there any or do I have to manully erase the files and directories?

Regards

Lars
larsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 14:19   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsed View Post
Pavel!

Sorry to get back to you so late!
I wanted to test a suspicion.

Can I get back to that? I think I've implied some of the reasons in my previous lines above.

Even if the upgrade Lenny->Squeeze seemed to have been ok, except for OpenCPN, I had a suspicion that the upgrade (instead of fresh install) might have corrupted anything "under the hood", for instance made my building/installing environment insane?
I wanted to try that out so I conducted a larger build project, building gnuradio, rtl-sdr, osmocom, gr-ais and gr-air-modes. It took some hours, but it all worked smoothly! The gr-ais-install was the main reason for my upgrade to Squeeze, but I wanted to display it in OpenCPN!
Encouraged by that -and your returning suggestion- I again tried to build the stable OpenCPN from git, this time avoiding
# make package (though I had cmake 2.8.2 in Squeeze).
It installed! Perhaps "make package" was all the problem.
Might be, the errors reported by the make process should tell you where the problem is. Usually.
Quote:
BUT, as before, OpenCPN failed and kernel reported
Code:
[ 8766.803328] opencpn[11462]: segfault at 4 ip b695a29c sp bfac9d70 error 4 in libGL.so.1.2[b68ed000+b4000]
Now..... it seems Squeeze is hostile to OpenCPN? Not my integrated intel graphics, Lenny could handle OpenGL and OpenCPN,
You mentioned a switch to turn off OpenGL in 3.2.2. It almost seemed as if you have met this problem connected to the integrated intel graphics before? Is that so?
Yes, I've seen it before (not with my own eyes), we are getting killed on this hardware on some W7 64bit installations, that's why this switch was actually implemented.
Code:
opencpn -no_opengl
Quote:
Now I know I can build and make direct install of my build. Do you think I can get something meningful out of your debug-version by building it? I mean, OpenCPN crashes directly after me pressing OK in the welcome-message. Can it report anything in those circumstances?

And, besides, I could'nt find any unistall-script in my stable build (my main reason for making packages!), is there any or do I have to manully erase the files and directories?
We are pretty sure where we are crashing, so there's probably no need to look further.
There's no uninstall script, but if you need one:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo rm /usr/bin/opencpn
sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/opencpn
sudo rm -rf /usr/share/opencpn
rm ~/opencpn.log
rm -rf ~/.opencpn
Pavel
Old 08-05-2013, 15:22   #19
Marine Service Provider

lars....

Still wondering about the Status->Backtrace when running

$ddd opencpn

until it crashes.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18   #20

Dave
I cannot recall you suggested me that before? I had to look up from
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0-a-51161.html

Anyway
ddd-1 is as far as ocpn normally gets in my squeeze
ddd-backtrace is the reply
(which to me seems similar to the kernel msg)

Hopefully you can get out more out of it?

Regards
Lars
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddd-1.png
Views:	103
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	60563   Click image for larger version

Name:	ddd-backtrace.png
Views:	215
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	60564  

Old 09-05-2013, 02:33   #21

Pavel!

Thank you for your company, marvelous patience with me and all your kind suggestions along the way !!
Now I've got a working setup of OpenCPN and gr-ais/gnuradio in my laptop!
I really did'nt know it was 3.2.2 I built yesterday, thought it was 3.2.0. Think I was too messed up in my brain after the gnuradio-bussiness + OpenCPN-crashes to note what I did.
Your switch
$ opencpn -no_opengl
worked! I hope I do not loose too much in graphical interfaces in ocpn by using it? Have not tried yet. Just glad ocpn runs!

About your suggested uninstall script, should this be good for installations in /usr/local:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/opencpn
sudo rm -rf /usr//local/lib/opencpn
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/share/opencpn
rm ~/opencpn.log
rm -rf ~/.opencpn
and the ocpn libs in /usr/local/share/locale? Could I leave them (they are up to now the only libs in that directory) or should I remove them too with f.i.
Code:
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/share/locale/*
Finally, as I promised, Why Squeeze or even Lenny as it was recently?
I can agree with you that Debian mostly is a pain to configure, today even Slackware is easier at least in my experience!
The reason for my not installing every latest release of every possible dist I am interested in is very simple:
I keep two machines with a reasonably stable version of the dist I like as my "working environment", where I get things done. It normally takes me a week or two to configure them the way I like containing all software I normally use. (Normally a painstaking business)
In my case they are an AMD64 single core stationary with Windows7 and OpenSuSE12.2 and this small eeePC (intel integr graphics) With WindowsXPsp3 containing Fugawi Marine ENC and Debian (upp till a few days ago Lenny) Squeeze now with among other things OpenCPN and gr-ais. The eeePC I bring with me in my yacht.
Of course I follow the interesting distributions later versions but do not change my "working environment" till I've found a newer version that's obviously better AND stable! When that comes, I do a fresh install and move my working environtment to that.
-Sometimes I have to wait many dist generations. With OpenSuSE for instance it took from v. 10.3 till 12.2 before i moved my working environment. 12.3 again I've found too unstable too rely on.
This time though, I was really tempted to switch from Debian to LinuxMint Maya (LTS), but thanks to you I managed to avoid that! Even if you don't feel especially proud of that contribution I am very grateful to you for it!! (Have tried Nadia though and liked it. And the latest Ubuntu but am not much of an Ubuntu type. Too conservative I think)

Best regards

Lars
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsed View Post
Code:
sudo rm -rf /usr/local/share/locale/*
Be careful with this one as it will obviously remove more than just opencpn files, if they will be there. Maybe something like
Code:
sudo rm /usr/local/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/opencpn*
is more appropriate here.

I found a moment to have a look at both Squeeze and Wheezy yesterday and added the instructions to install the official packages from Launchpad on both to the download page. Worked for me on clean installs, so I hope it's correct. BTW, Wheezy was not that bad those 5 minutes, for Squeeze I have no comment, on servers it's good

Pavel
Old 09-05-2013, 13:51   #23

...and on my little eeePC

Quote:
I found a moment to have a look at both Squeeze and Wheezy yesterday
You're not in some kind of voluntary aversion therapy, are you?

Great may thanks Pavel!

Lars

PS. Yes, I knew of the risk. When I manually uninstalled the ocpn build i checked /usr/local/share/locale carefully that there wasn't anything else there. Your script line is perfect! If I try your squeeze suggestion, I promise I'll tell the result. I saw you went one step lower than me, to lucid. On the other hand I'm stuck with my Intel Mobile 945 and the squeeze driver... DS.

Tags
opencpn