Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 15:57   #1

Boat: 1911, 6mR, 31 ft
OpenCPN segmentation error in Debian Squeeze

First searched this forum for OpenCPN-problems with squeeze but found just one for Android that didn't look similar. Also found some segmentation-fault related problems with an older version 2.3.1 when searching on inet but it was rather inspecific in the details. -So I decided to turn to this forum and hope someone can help me solve the problem!

Early this year i installed the Ubuntu package 3.2.0 in Debian Lenny kernel 2.6.30-trunk-686 and it has worked allright since install.

I recently upgraded to Squeeze kernel 2.6.32-5-686 installed the Ubuntu-package again but keep getting segmentation errors when trying to start it.

ran
$ opencpn -unit_test_1 -p

Code:
20:24:49 CEST: 

________

20:24:49 CEST: 2013-05-05
20:24:49 CEST:  ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
20:24:49 CEST: Version 3.2.0 Build 2013-02-26
20:24:49 CEST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 2.8.12
20:24:49 CEST: MemoryStatus:  mem_total: 1001 mb,  mem_initial: 40 mb
20:24:49 CEST: SData_Locn is /usr/bin/
20:24:49 CEST: Creating new Config_File: /usr/bin/opencpn.conf
20:24:49 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/bin/uidata/
20:24:50 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/bin/
20:24:50 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/bin/.opencpn/ No such dir
20:24:50 CEST: The requested style was not found: 
+ felmeddelande:
"Failed to initialize the user interface. OpenCPN cannot start. The necessary configuration files were not found. See the log file at /usr/bin/opencpn.log for details." -no such file, but in my home directory.
Ur log:
20:20:42 CEST: 2013-05-05
20:20:42 CEST:  ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
20:20:42 CEST: Version 3.2.0 Build 2013-02-26
20:20:42 CEST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 2.8.12
20:20:42 CEST: MemoryStatus:  mem_total: 1001 mb,  mem_initial: 40 mb
20:20:42 CEST: SData_Locn is /usr/share/opencpn/
20:20:42 CEST: Creating new Config_File: /home/larse/.opencpn/opencpn.conf
20:20:42 CEST: Styles loading from /usr/share/opencpn/uidata/styles.xml
20:20:42 CEST: No styles found at: /home/larse/
20:20:42 CEST: No styles found at: /home/larse/.opencpn/
20:20:42 CEST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
20:20:42 CEST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
20:20:42 CEST: System default Language:  sv_SE
20:20:42 CEST: Error: Cannot set locale to 'en_US'.
20:20:42 CEST: Error: Cannot set locale to 'en_US'.
20:20:42 CEST: Opencpn language set to:  en_US
20:20:46 CEST: ChartSymbols loaded from /usr/share/opencpn/s57data/chartsymbols.xml
20:20:46 CEST: Using s57data in /usr/share/opencpn/s57data
20:20:46 CEST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
20:20:46 CEST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
Tried to get around this by creating successive symlinks, first to single files but gave that up, removed them and tried successively two symbolic directories
Code:
# ln -s /usr/share/opencpn/uidata /usr/bin/uidata
# ln -s /usr/share/opencpn/s57data /usr/bin/s57data
Again opencpn -unit_test_1 -p
but had come no longer than
Code:
21:22:41 CEST: 

________

21:22:41 CEST: 2013-05-05
21:22:41 CEST:  ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
21:22:41 CEST: Version 3.2.0 Build 2013-02-26
21:22:41 CEST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 2.8.12
21:22:41 CEST: MemoryStatus:  mem_total: 1001 mb,  mem_initial: 40 mb
21:22:41 CEST: SData_Locn is /usr/bin/
21:22:41 CEST: Creating new Config_File: /usr/bin/opencpn.conf
21:22:41 CEST: Styles loading from /usr/bin/uidata/styles.xml
21:22:41 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/bin/
21:22:41 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/bin/.opencpn/
21:22:41 CEST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
21:22:41 CEST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
21:22:41 CEST: System default Language:  sv_SE
21:22:41 CEST: Error: Cannot set locale to 'en_US'.
21:22:41 CEST: Error: Cannot set locale to 'en_US'.
21:22:41 CEST: Opencpn language set to:  en_US
21:22:44 CEST: ChartSymbols ConfigFile not found: ./s57data/chartsymbols.xml
21:22:44 CEST:    S52PLIB: Cannot open S52 rules file: ./s57data/S52RAZDS.RLE
21:22:44 CEST: Looking for s57data in /home/larse/.opencpn/s57data
21:22:44 CEST: ChartSymbols ConfigFile not found: /home/larse/.opencpn/s57data/chartsymbols.xml
21:22:44 CEST:    S52PLIB: Cannot open S52 rules file: /home/larse/.opencpn/s57data/S52RAZDS.RLE
21:22:44 CEST: Looking for s57data in /usr/bin/s57data
21:22:45 CEST: ChartSymbols loaded from /usr/bin/s57data/chartsymbols.xml
21:22:45 CEST: Using s57data in /usr/bin/s57data
21:22:45 CEST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
21:22:45 CEST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
Segmentation fault
$
By here I gave up my efforts, the ./opencpn in my /home still was empty.

Uninstalled the Ubuntu OpenCPN-3.2.0 package and tried to build OpenCPN instead?

First 3.3.424 that kept producing errors during $ make, then 3.2.0 that built without errors.
But when I tried to install it
Code:
# dpkg -i opencpn_3.2.0-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 168905 files and directories installed.)
Unpacking opencpn (from opencpn_3.2.0-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: errors by handling opencpn_3.2.0-1_i386.deb (--install):
 could not create "/usr/local/share/opencpn/gshhs/poly-c-1.dat.dpkg-new" (by handling "./usr/local/share/opencpn/gshhs/poly-c-1.dat"): The file or directory does not exist
dpkg-deb: childprocess paste killed by signal (Broke pipe)
Errors by handling:
 opencpn_3.2.0-1_i386.deb
(translations in the last code by me)

Of course I would prefer a solution concerning the build, but will be quite satisfied if someone could help me with a workaround for getting the Ubuntu 3.2.0 package run as smoothly in Debian Squeeze as it did in Debian Lenny!

I hope anyone can help!

Regards
Lars
larsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 20:15   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN segmentation error in Debian Squeeze

Lars...
Could I see the build errors? All my Linux machines build well with the latest master...
When you use the -p switch, you should be in a directory where the portable instance of opencpn resides, from the log it does not look to be the case...
The segmentation fault itself is unfortunately not telling us much as between the last message you have in the log and the next one from the plugin manager, there's a lot of stuff happening, could you run under some debugger, like ddd or from an IDE with integrated debugger? If not, are you able to build https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/tree/debug which has a lot of additional logging in place?
Which .deb did you install? I suppose the Ubuntu versions corresponding to Lenny and Squeeze will differ, so perhaps try another one from the Launchpad PPA...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:42   #3

Kind of you to take your time Pavel!

Again you introduce me to things new to me, I'll try to answer as short as I can but perhaps in a backward order:
Quote:
Which .deb did you install?
The 3.2.0 for 32bit Ubuntu 12.04 from Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage. In fact, it was a saved copy of that from the Lenny install in february. So I downloaded it today again to be sure: But with the same result as my saved one: segmentation fault.
Quote:
I suppose the Ubuntu versions corresponding to Lenny and Squeeze will differ, so perhaps try another one from the Launchpad PPA...
I had not tried any of these before, but did today, but none of them installed due to "impossible" dependency errors, as apt-get reported.
Quote:
When you use the -p switch, you should be in a directory where the portable instance of opencpn resides, from the log it does not look to be the case
True, I ran it from my home-dir. -If you by this mean where opencpn is installed I tried today again running opencpn -unit_test_1 -p from /usr/bin. The output was "cleaner" but still returned segmentation fault. This time the two symbolic linked directories
didn't make any difference in the output of unit_test. I tried adding a textfile but the forum only allowes txt under 1 kB! That also hinders me from attaching the error report from my build?
I don't like to "smear" the post with endless outputs, but you asked for the build errors
..but wait , I changed the filetype from txt to doc, you just change it back!
OK: the file names are easy test for unit_test, errors... for builderrors.
Concerning my building trials, the flag -DPREFIX=/usr made no difference to not using it. -But the stable 3.2.0 from git built without errors (in squeeze yesterday as in february in lenny). Anyway finally used the prebuilt 32bit Ubuntu in Lenny. -But my 3.2.0-build wouldn't install.
Quote:
are you able to build https://github.com/nohal/OpenCPN/tree/debug which has a lot of additional logging in place?
I'm not familiar with debugging in Debian, more used to in SusE. But I'll try build your debug and will be back

Lars

PS. changing the file extension obviously triggered an alert in the forum sw. I'll have to smear the thread down after all, since I want to give you the answers. I'll paste them in two following replies. DS.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:52   #4

First the opencpn -unit_test_1 -p for the prebuilt 32bit Ubuntu version:

Executed in /usr/bin
10:49:17 CEST:

________

10:49:17 CEST: 2013-05-06
10:49:17 CEST: ------- Starting OpenCPN -------
10:49:17 CEST: Version 3.2.0 Build 2013-02-26
10:49:17 CEST: wxWidgets version: wxWidgets 2.8.12
10:49:17 CEST: MemoryStatus: mem_total: 1001 mb, mem_initial: 40 mb
10:49:17 CEST: SData_Locn is /usr/bin/
10:49:17 CEST: Creating new Config_File: /usr/bin/opencpn.conf
10:49:17 CEST: Styles loading from /usr/bin/uidata/styles.xml
10:49:17 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/bin/
10:49:17 CEST: No styles found at: /usr/bin/.opencpn/
10:49:17 CEST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
10:49:17 CEST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
10:49:17 CEST: System default Language: sv_SE
10:49:17 CEST: Error: Cannot set locale to 'en_US'.
10:49:17 CEST: Error: Cannot set locale to 'en_US'.
10:49:17 CEST: Opencpn language set to: en_US
10:49:20 CEST: ChartSymbols loaded from ./s57data/chartsymbols.xml
10:49:21 CEST: Using s57data in ./s57data
10:49:21 CEST: Setting Viewpoint Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
10:49:21 CEST: Setting Ownship Lat/Lon 33.358, -79.282
Segmenteringsfel

Adding 2 symlinks in /usr/bin
does not make any difference in output of
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56   #5

2nd the errors in make trying to build the current 3.3.424

cmake -DPREFIX=/usr ../ [cmake without flag made no difference in the errors]
make
55%
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp: In function ‘void chk_fread(void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp:1820: warning: format ‘%lu’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘size_t’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp:1820: warning: format ‘%lu’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 4 has type ‘size_t’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp: In function ‘void chk_fwrite(const void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp:1831: warning: format ‘%lu’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘size_t’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp:1831: warning: format ‘%lu’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 4 has type ‘size_t’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp: In function ‘void boundscheck_monologue(const char*)’:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp:2608: warning: format ‘%lu’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘size_t’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp: In function ‘void boundscheck_oneliner(const char*)’:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/tcmgr.cpp:2625: warning: format ‘%lu’ expects type ‘long unsigned int’, but argument 3 has type ‘size_t’

[ 96%] Building CXX object plugins/grib_pi/CMakeFiles/grib_pi.dir/src/GribUIDialog.cpp.o
In file included from /home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/GribUIDialog.cpp:46:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/folder.xpm:411: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/folder.xpm:411: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/folder.xpm:455: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/folder.xpm:455: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/GribUIDialog.cpp: In member function ‘wxString GribRequestSetting::WriteMail()’:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/GribUIDialog.cpp:1216: warning: missing braces around initializer for ‘const wxString [4]’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/GribUIDialog.cpp:1216: warning: missing braces around initializer for ‘const wxString [4]’
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/folder.xpm: At global scope:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/folder.xpm:2: warning: ‘folder’ defined but not used

[ 97%] Building CXX object plugins/grib_pi/CMakeFiles/grib_pi.dir/src/GribRecord.cpp.o
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/GribRecord.cpp: In member function ‘double GribRecord::getInterpolatedValue(double, double, bool) const’:
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/GribRecord.cpp:931: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions

[ 98%] Building CXX object plugins/grib_pi/CMakeFiles/grib_pi.dir/src/IsoLine.cpp.o
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/IsoLine.cpp:905: warning: ‘void GenerateSpline(int, wxPoint*)’ defined but not used
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/plugins/grib_pi/src/IsoLine.cpp:916: warning: ‘void ClearSplineList()’ defined but not used
[ 98%] Building CXX object plugins/grib_pi/CMakeFiles/grib_pi.dir/__/__/src/wxJSON/jsonval.cpp.o
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/wxJSON/jsonval.cpp:35: warning: ‘traceMask’ defined but not used
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/wxJSON/jsonval.cpp:36: warning: ‘compareTraceMask’ defined but not used
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/wxJSON/jsonval.cpp:37: warning: ‘cowTraceMask’ defined but not used
[ 98%] Building CXX object plugins/grib_pi/CMakeFiles/grib_pi.dir/__/__/src/wxJSON/jsonreader.cpp.o
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/wxJSON/jsonreader.cpp:174: warning: ‘traceMask’ defined but not used
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/wxJSON/jsonreader.cpp:175: warning: ‘storeTraceMask’ defined but not used

[100%] Building CXX object plugins/grib_pi/CMakeFiles/grib_pi.dir/__/__/src/wxJSON/jsonwriter.cpp.o
/home/larse/bin/git/OpenCPN/src/wxJSON/jsonwriter.cpp:23: warning: ‘writerTraceMask’ defined but not used
Old 06-05-2013, 05:38   #6

Lars...
Thanks a lot.
Sorry, but I don't see a single error in the build log you posted, just some warnings, which is certainly not to nice, but as they are totally harmless and we are not even in a beta phase of this cycle, pretty acceptable.
The trick with changing the extension to .doc - we use it all the time even for binary files, never had a problem with the forum complaining.
I would need to know what those "impossible" dependency problems are. Did you really try the packages for all the old Ubuntu releases and they still needed something Debian does not have?
Thanks for trying to debug - I don't see any reason for it being different than on SuSE, so you should be OK.
Sorry to bother you, I will install Debian myself when time allows, it simply does not now.

Pavel
Old 06-05-2013, 09:18   #7

Boat: Dufour 35

Lars
Quote:
First the opencpn -unit_test_1 -p for the prebuilt 32bit Ubuntu version:

Executed in /usr/bin
It seems to me that you are using the portable option in a way not intended. Have a look here Portable OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

You have to "cd" into your "portable directory", with all the necessary directories described in the link above, and a copy of the opencpn binary, and then start O like this.
Code:
$./opencpn -p
How does opencpn work if you skip the command-line options?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17   #8

Pavel!

Thank you fort sorting that error-misunderstanding out to me! You see I'm more of an unusually stubborn user than any kind of experienced builder.
I'm not used to that amount of reports during ./configure or make. cmake I first met this year when i "found" OpenCPN. I've had much use of that experience when my friend and I started our next project, getting a TV-stick give AIS-NMEA using gnuradio.

Perhaps I did'nt put the words right? It was not the "forum" that complained about the .doc-extension, it was the forum-software. I don't recall the error message, but it read something like this: an abnormality was found in your post that made it impossible to send(?). I actually tried 2-3 times. As soon as I removed the attachments, I could send it.

Quote:
I would need to know what those "impossible" dependency problems are. Did you really try the packages for all the old Ubuntu releases and they still needed something Debian does not have?
I don't recall if I tried all, but every one from Raring 13.04 to Natty 11.04. There I stopped. I'm sorry that I didn't save the whole msg from apt-get, but most of it. The msg was the same for all that's why i stopped at Natty. OK, here comes an "instant translation":
The message didn't say that the dependency problem was impossible, just "the situation" I had put me or apt-get in. Very strange for a pkg-mgr? The following text just led to that "this are just some suggestions to solve it":
"Following packages have dependencies that cannot be solved/met:
opencpn : dependent of: libc6 (>= 2.15) but 2.11.3-4 will be installed
Depending on: libportaudio2 (>= 19+svn20101113) but 19+svn20071022-3.2 will be installed
Depending on: libstdc++6 (>= 4.6) but 4.4.5-8 will be installed
Depending on: libwxbase2.8-0 (>= 2.8.12.1) but 2.8.10.1-3+b1 will be installed
Depending on: libwxgtk2.8-0 (>= 2.8.12.1) but 2.8.10.1-3+b1 will be installed
E: Broken packages
"
I found it strange that the versions of these dependencies did not change as I stepped down through the Ubuntuversions. Of which I think at least Natti should have a kernel older that Debian Lenny. Just to be clear: In each try I commented out all the other versions and exec. apt-update.

My trying to debug so far has included my trial to build the opencpn in your debug branch:
I'm sorry to say that the warnings occurred during make on similar stages in the build process, though in somewhat larger amount. make package succeeded, but the installation died in exactly the same was as I described in the end of my initial post! Therefore I could not use it for debugging.

But.... this is strange! OpenCPN 3.2.0 has worked like a charm in Debian Lenny! Even to build. In the past I sometimes have met Ubuntu-packages that wouldn't install in Debian. I think there are some differences in the libraries? But the difference between Debian Lenny and Squeeze should reasonably be smaller (if any) than between Debian and Ubuntu!

I read the Readme, INSTALL and the built Makefile to see if there were any special flags I should apply, or editings to do, but found none. Checked the versions required of wxwidgets (INSTALL) and they are well met. I don't even understand that dpkg-failure leading to killing of the install? -Is there any flag I should have applied in cmake? Or make? To help the app find some special library? Or at least make it possible for dpkg to create that "/usr/local/share/opencpn/gshhs/poly-c-1.dat.dpkg-new"?

There is one thing though that returns to my mind repeatedly during these efforts with Squeeze? I mentioned it initially, but never really stressed it. This Squeeze is an upgrade, not a fresh install! -In fact the first version upgrade I've done in my "computer-life". I've always had the prejudice that upgrades rarely succeeds. I just did this one because the Lenny was very thoroughly configured and I wouldn't go through that again (with all the apps I wanted at hand). Did the upgrade by the book though. And was very surprised that it worked?! After having tried out all the functiones, it was only OpenCPN that failed? And I cannot figure out why?!

Lars
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42   #9

Thomas!

Quote:
It seems to me that you are using the portable option in a way not intended.
It's simply because I did neither understand what Pavel meant with his suggestion nor what "portable" really meant. I only had a very vague idea. -So thank you for your link! It explained it in a way so I could better understand it. And can say that I very rarely use portables, except for some obscure applications like Truecrypt, Tails and grub2.

If I start ocpn from the "starter" in the menu: It just dies silently after having a graphical msg it is starting. If I start in from terminal without any options, likewise, except it dies with a msg "segmentation-fault" in the terminal.

If I copy the content of my home config directory ~./opencpn to the empty one created by the ocpn I can delay the dying process a bit, it takes almost a minute, but the gui never comes up.

The suggestion "[-unit_test_1] [-p]" I got trying to find a way of debugging (there is no manual [man] in the ordinary meaning) executing $ opencpn --debug or something like that.

Lars
Old 06-05-2013, 15:50   #10
Marine Service Provider

Lars...

Perhaps redundant info, but running

$/usr/bin/opencpn -p

as user ($ prompt) from system directory /usr/bin will not work. OpenCPN needs write access to the portable installation directory.

Dave
bdbcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:44   #11

Thank you Dave!

But as Thomas pointed out, I had not understood "portable". I have never used OpenCPN, or even intended to install it in a portable way.

Why I even bothered to try the installation of ocpn in Debian Squeeze (after having succeeded in OpenSuSE and Slackware AND in Debian Lenny) is that the trial installation in SuSE and Slackware are on my stationary machine, but I had Debian Lenny on the one I really use for navigation purpose: It's a small laptop that I use in my yacht. -I had no problems with OpenCPN in Debian Lenny, but got problems with the boost-devel-package for Lenny from the archive debian org when trying to install gnuradio (AIS-purpose). Hence the upgrade to Squeeze. ....that led to a malfunctioning OpenCPN....

Just as an explanation to why I even bother struggling with this

Best regards
Lars
Old 07-05-2013, 02:54   #12

Pavel...
I think I've come to an point of fatigue struggling with this? And perhaps it's time for a
summary.

First, so I don't forget:
Quote:
I would need to know what those "impossible" dependency problems are.
I managed to reproduce the apt-get output when trying to check all the dependencies I knew of (from outputs or docs in your src):
The intro of that message goes something like this:
"Some packages could not be installed. It could mean that you have required an impossible situation or, if you use the unstable release that some necessary packages still have not been created or been moved from "incoming".
The information that follows could possibly be a help for solving the situation." and so on... The rest I pasted above.

To the summary:
I tried to understand the term segmentation fault by reading:
Tips on Segmentation Faults
Segmentation fault - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and at least understood that it in some way is an access violation issue? Most often concerning cpu or ram. Hence I would have to dig into the single executables to find out which and what part of cpu/ram it needed access to? That's far beyond my horizon.

Debugging: Read on the topic on HowToGetABacktrace - Debian Wiki.
As you probably already knew the 3.2.0 stable OpenCPN contained no debugging symbols, and I did not manage to build the one from your debug branch. That would possibly have worked.
My use of opencpn [-unit_test_1] [-p] was due to a grave misunderstanding.

So... the only thing I could reasonably do was to check the dependencies that I knew in some way were important.

Dependencies:
For building;
From OpenCPN/Install in the src from your debug branch:
b. OpenCPN requires WxWidgets Version 2.8.8 or greater. It has been tested
with the following wxWidgets hosts:

GTK2 (__WXGTK__)
MSWindows (__WXMSW__)
MAC OSx (__WXOSX__)

I've got
$ apt-cache showpkg
wx-common 2.8.10.1-3+b1
libwxgtk2.8-dev 2.8.10.1-3+b1
wx2.8-headers 2.8.10.1-3+b1
That should be OK!

For installing (from the ppa you pointed out)
From the apt-get error report that I pasted above from trying to install every one down to "Natty": In Squeeze I've got
libportaudio2 19+svn20071022-3.2 Are there no newer? "libportaudio2 is already the latest version."
libstdc++6 4.5 4.4.5-8 Are there no newer? "libstdc++6 is already the latest version.."
libwxbase2.8-0 2.8.10.1-3+b1 Should be ok?
libwxgtk2.8-0 2.8.10.1-3+b1 Should be ok?

I changed the URL of the squeeze update that had changed since Lenny, updated but found no other versions than the ones above.
-Finally I searched Debian -- List of sections in "squeeze" for the "current" squeeze versions of the packagages and found that my installed versions (I listed above) were the most recent squeeze versions.

That's all I could think of I could do for know. I think I'll wait for a day or two to see if someone could come up with an idea of a workaround to this access violation problem. If not I think it's time for me to put this project down (the main reason for my upgrade, as I wrote to Dave, was just to install gnuradio) and return to my well working Debian Lenny with an OpenCPN that works perfectly! -Before I started this upgrade adventure I made an image of it.

Best regards and thank you for trying to help me out!

Lars
Old 07-05-2013, 05:20   #13

One final little piece of information: I thought if it is some kind of access violation there should be a msg from kernel? Perhaps telling more about what kind of violation? So I tried (now I notice that I wasn't quite lucid in my reply to Thomas above):

I started OpenCPN from starter in menu:
Gives the graphical welcome msg: "Welcome to OpenCPN ..version 3.2.0
OpenCPN is distributed in the hope... et c" so long it's ok, doesn't die.
When I press OK, it crashes and from kernel:
$ dmesg
Code:
[  205.181911] opencpn[3237]: segfault at 4 ip b6f5d29c sp bfa9dd30 error 4 in libGL.so.1.2[b6ef0000+b4000]
libGL.so.1.2 connected to OpenCPN is in /usr/lib

Is there any way to interpret that dmesg? If I try repeatedly the 2nd hex after sp varies, not the other two.

(Searching on error 4 in libGL.so.1.2 gives mostly X-problem hits, often connected to ATI. Have got neither.)

Lars
Old 07-05-2013, 05:44   #14

Lars...
I would probably bet that you have an Intel HD graphics adapter... Their drivers are a piece of art and show different problems with every version. There will be a command line switch to turn off OpenGL in 3.2.2 and hopefully something more intelligent in the master in a while.

Pavel
Old 07-05-2013, 07:22   #15

Pavel,

you're perfectly right about my graphics controller: It's a Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller. From what I heard from my Linux-friends it's a mess building drivers for those Intel integrated graphics. Perhaps that's what you meant. -I've never had any problems with it, but on the other hand on this machine I have no use for high graphics prestanda. On my stationaries I've preferred ATI since 1999.

I must ask you though, did you get anything out of my "impossible dependencies"?
For instance
-libportaudio2: is really 19+svn20101113 necessary or should 19+svn20071022-3.2 be good enough?
-libstdc++6: is really 4.5 necessary or should 4.4.5-8 be ok?
-libwxbase2.8-0: is 2.8.11.0 necessary or should 2.8.10.1-3+b1 do?
-libwxgtk2.8-0: is 2.8.11.0 necessary or will 2.8.10.1-3+b1 do?

The latter for every package are the best I can get. In Lenny where ocpn works those packages could only be older.

Lars

Tags
opencpn