Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 06:11   #196

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: OpenCPN SIMRAD/LOWRANCE Radar Overlay PlugIn

Sounds well executed. Thanks!

I'm in the middle of launch preparations, including installing the RADAR on my boat. I will test this as soon as I can.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 12:14   #197

I tested the timed transmit function using my desktop PC today.

It seems to work well, I did not find any faults with it.

However, during testing I think I found a small problem with the Navico RADAR plugin in general.

I found that my scanner (4G) seems to take 3 attempts before spinning up on the fourth try. This happens consistently on power-up, and anytime that the RADAR is turned off for more than about 10seconds; If the RADAR is turned off then back on inside of 10seconds it starts right up. Basically, whenever the zero config pop-up displays, I have this problem.

I had not noticed this before since the scanner was in another room; Today I had it nearby to test timed transmit.

I would be interested to hear if others have the same symptoms ?

Also, I would like to eventually run this on the ARM computer I am installing on-board, so can it be put into GIT ? There are some changes made by douwefokkema (HDG stamped scan-lines, 5HZ updates, and performance improvements) that would be nice to incorporate as well.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 17-04-2015, 00:05   #198

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

Hi NahanniV,

The three people working on the plugin do development on the plugin (requests and comments) via github, as you have already noticed. If you want to see who is working on the plugin right now, and try out new experimental branches, try this:

https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/network

which will show you that right now the bleeding edge is being worked on by Douwe. Once we get that release working in all circumstances we'll produce a new official release with binaries. We may even produce one for one or more ARM ABIs but most people experimenting with ARM don't seem to mind compiling themselves.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 06:18   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
Hi NahanniV,

The three people working on the plugin do development on the plugin (requests and comments) via github, as you have already noticed. If you want to see who is working on the plugin right now, and try out new experimental branches, try this:

https://github.com/canboat/BR24radar_pi/network

which will show you that right now the bleeding edge is being worked on by Douwe. Once we get that release working in all circumstances we'll produce a new official release with binaries. We may even produce one for one or more ARM ABIs but most people experimenting with ARM don't seem to mind compiling themselves.
Thanks, I didn't realize everyone was already collaborating, that's great.

I tried my scanner with a bigger power supply today to see if the start-up problem was power related, but there was no change. I also tried it directly connected to my laptop to rule out a network problem (had it through router before), but there was no change.
I would like to know if anyone else sees this behavior (3 start-up attempts before consistent rotation). Otherwise perhaps I have a faulty scanner and will have to go down the awkward path of getting that fixed (I don't have a Navico MFD).

Cheers,
JM.
Old 19-04-2015, 12:49   #200

Here is a video I made demonstrating my spin-up problem.

It doesn't seem right that the scanner makes these "false starts" before spinning up to a steady state.

I'm not sure if this is: A/ Normal, B/ faulty scanner, C/ Problem with Plugin, D/ Something else.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has experienced this (or not) so I can decide if I have a faulty scanner before I step my mast on May 5th.

Cheers,
JM.

P.S. You may need to turn up your volume to hear the scanner motor.

Old 19-04-2015, 17:07   #201

JM,
I'm not in the same league as the gentlemen who are doing the programming, and we all may be happy for that. However, with my lower level of understanding, I'll share some of my thoughts.

I ran into the same problem when I got my 3G, that of not knowing if it was OpenCpn, the data transmission or the radar. I installed WireShark which provided a monitor for the ethernet data transmission. You can see if multiple commands are going out and what the response is to some degree. WireShark allowed me to sort out several small problems, worked well.

Another solution is to take the radar to a retail store with a service dept. and ask them to plug it into some kind of Navico display. You may have to offer to pay, I allow you to deal with that. There used to be a West Marine up there, but that's probably gone.

There are several interface differences between the 3G and 4G, with the 4G being more capable, but more complicated. The 3G is a wonderful radar though.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 17:57   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD21 View Post
JM,
I'm not in the same league as the gentlemen who are doing the programming, and we all may be happy for that. However, with my lower level of understanding, I'll share some of my thoughts.

I ran into the same problem when I got my 3G, that of not knowing if it was OpenCpn, the data transmission or the radar. I installed WireShark which provided a monitor for the ethernet data transmission. You can see if multiple commands are going out and what the response is to some degree. WireShark allowed me to sort out several small problems, worked well.

Another solution is to take the radar to a retail store with a service dept. and ask them to plug it into some kind of Navico display. You may have to offer to pay, I allow you to deal with that. There used to be a West Marine up there, but that's probably gone.

There are several interface differences between the 3G and 4G, with the 4G being more capable, but more complicated. The 3G is a wonderful radar though.

Boris
Thanks,

I have been looking for someone with a suitable display to test with; I'll try to find an electronics shop with one.

Did your scanner ever take a few tries before starting up ?

Cheers,
JM.
Old 19-04-2015, 18:52   #203

With all the ups and downs I had, I really don't remember. I do know that in trying to activate radar operation I have to hit the button and wait. At first I would hit it again, and again, and again, then it would change. Now I just wait. I'm not a patient persoon.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 11:48   #204

Boat: Najad 34

JM...Boris...

I could be that these start and stops have been recently reqognized on a 4G and there are some ongoing code changes to fix it. On that occation the HDS? (Radar viewer) was performing a proper and stable start but the BR24Radar_pi plugin not. Please be patient and see what's coming up.
I can't say I have noticed the same behavior on my BR24.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2015, 11:57   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
JM...Boris...

I could be that these start and stops have been recently reqognized on a 4G and there are some ongoing code changes to fix it. On that occation the MFD? (Radar viewer) was performing a proper and stable start but the BR24Radar_pi plugin not. Please be patient and see what's coming up.
I can't say I have noticed the same behavior on my BR24.
Håkan
I spoke with Douwe by E-Mail. He has the same problem with his 4G and is working on a fix.

I am relieved that it's not a hardware issue, and can now continue with my install and mast stepping.

Cheers,
JM.
Old 21-04-2015, 11:00   #206

Boat: Ovni 385

Yes, in the meantime I do have a fix for the on-off-on problem of the 4G radar in combination with the pi software. However this fix is not yet tested on the BR24 and our software should work there as well.
If some one is in urgent need of the fix I could supply a beta version. But it is easier to wait a few seconds more until the radar goes on or until the next release of the pi is ready.
If you can compile yourself, please go ahead from https://github.com/douwefokkema/BR24...ree/experiment and do report any issues found.
Douwe Fokkema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 02:25   #207

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Can some explain in general terms what the broadband radar outputs and how that is used by the plugin - conceptual. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:01   #208

Boat: Najad 34

Rick....
This is my attempt to a brief description:
The broadband radar, as any radar, is scanning a full circle around itself. The full revolution is split up in around 2000 or 4000, model dependent, sectors.
The actual range is split in around 500 segments.
For every revolution sector, angle, and range segment, distance, the scanner transmits the strength of an echo if present. Before transmit some signal computing are performed by the scanner.

The _pi transmits desired range (manual or plugin auto based on the OCPN zoom factor), signal detection level, desired gain or scanner auto, desired sea filter or scanner auto, desired rain filter etcetera to the scanner. These settings are used by the scanner to compute what to transmit back to to the _pi. Also is the scanner echoing received settings back to the _pi. These are used in the _pi data dialog
All scanned echoes (dots), with enough strange, received from the scanner are then printed over the OCPN charts. To be able to give them a correct chart position the _pi must know the heading and position of the boat. It's assumed the scanner is correct to to the front mounted. (Can be adjusted in the _pi)

The _pi can also guard certain areas for dots and alarm if any targets are present.

A broadband radar scanner can, compared to a "normal" radar, distinguish very close targets. It can for example be used to find a spare moorage in a yacht harbor.
On the other hand this radar type can't be used to detect active radar beacons or light houses. The broadband radar use another frequency than traditional radars.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:57   #209
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
On the other hand this radar type can't be used to detect active radar beacons or light houses. The broadband radar use another frequency than traditional radars.

Håkan
Are you sure about this?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 15:48   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Are you sure about this?
From the 4G manual pg.2:

Quote:
The Broadband Radar will not trigger X Band radar transponders, beacons, and
! SARTs due to the low output power and signal properties.
http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowranc...3-003_EN_P.pdf

Tags
enc, opencpn, plug, radar, simrad