Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 20:28   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Fantasia 27
OpenCPN to Android apps project

Hi,
I have developed an android application that emulate an internal device GPS (activated thru mock location setting). This app is using TCP and UDP to get its data from application like OpenCPN, GPS Gate and Flight Gear, then my app send the location to other android apps using the android LocationManager stuff...

My application is currently not free, (But very cheap). Id like to be part of OpenCPN success by publishing a free app that will get its data from and only from OpenCPN and act like the internal device GPS, that way people like me could program their route on a computer running OpenCPN and would be able to have the route data and location on their phone/tablet in the cockpit.

This would require a little programming in OpenCPN (my first idea would be a special NMEA sentence sending the required data in a single sentence) that way my apps would only work with OpenCPN.

Any tought ?

Richard
kobold27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:15   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN to Android apps project

Richard...
Writing a plugin that will do this is trivial, if you know a bit of C++ it will take you one afternoon including learning how to do it.
The level of protection of your income from the paid version by doing so will be very close to zero though - anybody will of course be able to implement the same proprietary sentence in their software... The question is if they will - for that I have no answer, but IMHO at least the big players not until your download counter reaches a number with a few more zeros

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Good, i didn't check the plugins docs so i was thinking that the only way to do that was to change the core of the network module.

I did C++ (MFC, STL) like 14 years ago before i start doing java, but i guess it wont be a problem

Thank you

Richard
Old 13-04-2013, 10:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Hi!

Like you said it was pretty easy to write my plugin, in fact, i have copy pasted almost all the code from dashboard_pi and grib_pi.

My source is available at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/opencpngpsbridg/

The opencpn plugin registration form seems broken, the page shows no form in firefox and internet explorer...

Richard
Old 14-04-2013, 09:59   #5

Boat: Norsea, center cockpit/aft cabin, 27'0"

Richard,

Do you have the skills and experience necessary to construct an apk capable of producing 'fake nmea' data from position, speed and direction information provided by built in gps chips that do not generate nmea sentences? If so, android device owners with these type gps chips running OpenCPN in a linux chroot environment need your help. Please see my thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...now-94064.html

Thanks!
armido
armido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 10:02   #6

Richard,

No need to wade through the whole thread to understand our problem, just view the most recent posts for April, 2013.

armido
Old 14-04-2013, 19:56   #7
Marine Service Provider

Hi Armido,
I just read your thread (first 2 and last 2 pages), i think that would be pretty simple, getting the phone location is very easy and sending it to others apps too, thing is i dont know how do do it witout the MOCK Location Setting on, i know that is is possible to install an app on a rooted device in /sys/apps (or something like that) so the app will be able to mock the gps without the damn setting, but i didnt figure how to...

Richard
Old 16-04-2013, 09:30   #8

Richard,

If the stumbling block for you is installing your apk there are several free for the download apk installers on Google Play.

armido
Old 16-04-2013, 16:10   #9

Thought it would be helpful if people understood what this plugin is designed to do. From a response to my PM, Richard provided the information below:

"Here is my setup:
1) Boat GPS send NMEA sentence thru RS-232
2) RS-232 is converted to USB with a cable (No serial port on my computer)
3) My computer use USB Driver and mock a serial port on my computer
4) GPSGate read NMEA from fake Serial port and dispatch the sentence thru wifi network to and to my VHF using anoter USB - Serial cable
** Note that this is a verty small computer with an embeded windows, very low watt comsumption
5) I have a laptop running linux with OpenCPN that get the NMEA sentence from wifi (sended by GPSGate)
6) I Plan my route, check the map, etc on my laptop
7) OpenCPN send NMEA to my android phone so i can have the situation in the cockpit (GPS is inside the boat) Im using Navionics
8) If my laptop is not running, then my phone can get nmea directly from GPSGate
So, no RDP or VNC and no USB decoding, its serial NMEA all the way."

armido

Tags
opencpn