Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 02:51   #1

Opencpn tracks

I am using Ver 4.6. While sailing one day, the screen seized and did not respond to anything, so I had to turn off the laptop. When I rebooted and opened OCPN, the track was missing. There was no sign of it in the track manager page either. Is there some mystical place that lost tracks are placed, or has it been lost for ever?
gipsy541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:48   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Opencpn tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipsy541 View Post
I am using Ver 4.6. While sailing one day, the screen seized and did not respond to anything, so I had to turn off the laptop. When I rebooted and opened OCPN, the track was missing. There was no sign of it in the track manager page either. Is there some mystical place that lost tracks are placed, or has it been lost for ever?
When asking questions like this it is very helpful to tell us what operating system you are using. The answer depends on the operating system. Windows is the most common. Opencpn saves track and waypoint data in backup files each time it runs. You can see if the track data has been backed up by looking for 5 files named:

c:\programdata\opencpn\navobj.xml.1 (or .2 through .5)

Rename the file navobj.xml to another name. Then copy navobj.xml.1 to navobj.xml and start OpenCPN. See if your track data is now found.

It's a good idea to save long tracks to a .gpx file from time to time. Then they can be recovered more easily. To save tracks or routes use the route-mark manager. Select the track you want to save and select "Export Selected" button.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 02:34   #3

Re: Opencpn tracks

Sorry that I've been so long replying, but I am on the move.
I tried your advice, but I only succeeded in wiping out the first file. Not your fault! My own! So I did not get what I wanted, but I now know how to do it. Many thanks.
Tony
gipsy541 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn