Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 09:38   #391

Boat: Dufour 35
Next crash. In CM93 quilting mode zooming in on river chart. Clicking on the first dark green chart in the chart-bar.
This caused the crash. No special output to the log file.
OK, that's it for now. I'll let you catch up.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ddd1.png
Views:	206
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	15902  
Old 07-05-2010, 07:13   #392

Boat: Najad391
Thank you all for a very good system. Has been out sailing for a week and I really like openCPN. The AIS presentation is very good and give you the information you need in a very clear and logic way.
My setup is that I run Raymarine nav instruments and from the autopilot I can out- and input NMEA to my computer. The autopilot output GLL,BWC,HDG,HDM,HDT and VTG. The ship ikon, when the ship is mowing, is not moving in the coarse that the ship is steered. The icon is rotaded 90 degress from the steering coarse and the icon moves like a crab. Has this anything to do with the NMEA output from the autopilot, and if yes can, is there a solution how to correct
Old 07-05-2010, 08:52   #393

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by janp391 View Post
Thank you all for a very good system. Has been out sailing for a week and I really like openCPN. The AIS presentation is very good and give you the information you need in a very clear and logic way.
My setup is that I run Raymarine nav instruments and from the autopilot I can out- and input NMEA to my computer. The autopilot output GLL,BWC,HDG,HDM,HDT and VTG. The ship ikon, when the ship is mowing, is not moving in the coarse that the ship is steered. The icon is rotaded 90 degress from the steering coarse and the icon moves like a crab. Has this anything to do with the NMEA output from the autopilot, and if yes can, is there a solution how to correct
The course of your ship is drawn according to the COG or a valid HDT. The COG is within the VTG sentence and you have a HDT sentence. I presume the sentences from your Raymarine don't have a proper checksum. This is work in progress as I understand.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23   #394

Boat: vd Stadt 44, Ben the Boat
a correction here:

Quote:
The COG is within the VTG
COG is NOT in the VTG sentence. So it seems you are missing an COG parameter for the right course drawn of your ship
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40   #395

Boat: Najad391
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ8242 View Post
a correction here:

COG is NOT in the VTG sentence. So it seems you are missing an COG parameter for the right course drawn of your ship
Thank you for your quick response. I have the arrow predictor, but not the ship icon on the right track. I have 2 other nav. programs and I have no problem with the ship icon in those two. Is there a way that I can correct the check sum error? Or is this something that have to be corrected inside openCPN
Old 08-05-2010, 03:08   #396

Boat: Phantom 19
Hi,
when looking at SF.net ID: 2998183, got to the following...

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	risserver_plib_crash.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	15989  
Old 08-05-2010, 05:27   #397

Dangerous!

I did not quite believe my eyes at first, but it's true.
The arrows describing the flow of traffic in traffic separation zones, are reversed !!!

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	danger.png
Views:	225
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	15990  
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36   #398

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Confirmed as per Thomas above, see screenshots below, arrows correct on build 426 (on the left, cm93, verified using raster BSB), wrong on latest (512? - right side).

You really don't want to do that

Leisure cruiser skipper fined £20,000 for going wrong way up the Dover Straits | Legal > Trial & Procedure from AllBusiness.com

The new quilting method is huge fun to click around in, I think the combination of live selection by user and quilting "best it can" is preferable to the fixed setting of types in the options.

When I change the chart portfolio, activating "full database rebuild" reliably segfaults opencpn, leaving it off changes chart portfolio without segfault. If you want some sort of trace there please let me know. (Except it doesn't, can't reproduce it now)

The previous chart date/type display on the top right is looking a bit sad & superfluous currently, what are the plans there?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	167
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	15991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-1.png
Views:	180
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	15992  

Old 08-05-2010, 06:43   #399

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The arrows describing the flow of traffic in traffic separation zones, are reversed !!!
I also saw a case where S57 and CM93 show the arrows going opposite directions... Take a look at the north part of the following screen captures, which is actually supposed to be a 2-way zone. Note that arrows are correct in the main separation zones to the south:

Here's the CM93 chart:

And the S57 chart:

And raster of the same area:

Old 08-05-2010, 07:00   #400

Quote:
I did not quite believe my eyes at first, but it's true.
Thomas
Hi,
here is a fix of the fix fixing the lights turned 180 degrees. Have to have a look whether there are more exceptions. If you come to anything with ORIENT attribute, please check and let me know.

Pavel
Code:
Index: s52plib.cpp
===================================================================
RCS file: /cvsroot/opencpn/opencpn/src/s52plib.cpp,v
retrieving revision 1.44
diff -u -r1.44 s52plib.cpp
--- s52plib.cpp    2 May 2010 20:04:50 -0000    1.44
+++ s52plib.cpp    8 May 2010 13:40:53 -0000
@@ -3668,9 +3668,12 @@
             if ( GetDoubleAttr ( rzRules->obj, "ORIENT", orient ) )       // overriding any LIGHTSXX angle, probably TSSLPT
             {
                   angle = orient;
-                  angle += 180;
-                  if ( angle > 360)
-                         angle -= 360;
+                  if(strncmp(rzRules->obj->FeatureName, "LIGHTS", 6) == 0)
+                  {
+                    angle += 180;
+                    if ( angle > 360)
+                         angle -= 360;
+                  }
             }

//  Render symbol at object's x/y
Old 08-05-2010, 07:20   #401

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
The new quilting method is huge fun to click around in, I think the combination of live selection by user and quilting "best it can" is preferable to the fixed setting of types in the options
I agree, it works quite nicely!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:58   #402

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
The delay in moving the cursor around on linux is gone as well!

The remove chart from quilt button is rendered quite a distance from the chart tab bar, for some reason I cannot take a screenshot when I've got it up.

On the Brazilian government issued BSBs, sometimes it doesn't seem to quilt "aggressively" enough if you will. Edit: I've discovered this was due to me having several sets of Brazil BSBs in different subfolders, sometimes starting from an isolated Brazil overview BSB makes it linger in that folder, meaning it doesn't quilt with BSBs from other folders or scale up when zooming in.

I find mouse zoom to cursor is displaying erratic behaviour at times - quite hard to describe.. it doesn't zoom where cursor or mouse pointer are basically. It zooms to centre all right when pressing the plus icon in the menu though.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22   #403

Nohal
Thank you for the patch. It works Ok.

Scotte's post illustrates another problem, the presentation of two way deep water routes. In scotte's first two pictures we see how the arrow in the DW route change direction. However, both are incorrect! See picture below for OpenCPNs presentation of a two way deep-water route, and scotte's third picture for the noaa raster presentation. I'm not sure that there is an established ENC symbol for this case.
Lacking that, a double arrow, pointing both ways at the centerline of the route, or two parallel arrows pointing in opposite directions seems to be a better presentation.

Thomas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dw.png
Views:	191
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	15994  
Old 08-05-2010, 10:46   #404

Quote:
Scotte's post illustrates another problem, the presentation of two way deep water routes. In scotte's first two pictures we see how the arrow in the DW route change direction. However, both are incorrect! See picture below for OpenCPNs presentation of a two way deep-water route, and scotte's third picture for the noaa raster presentation. I'm not sure that there is an established ENC symbol for this case.
Lacking that, a double arrow, pointing both ways at the centerline of the route, or two parallel arrows pointing in opposite directions seems to be a better presentation.
I've had a look at it and fixed it in S57 - screenshot attached - I believe it is close to the ideal...
The problem with CM93 is that it lacks the machine evaluable parameters (same problem with buoy colors etc.) and only has text in INFORM which is more or less useless... Of course we can change the default to be two-way arrow with question marks, which would be more correct here and probably even generally as I suppose CM93 states the direction when it should be one-way...

By the way - the latest symbolization rules are always at nohal's RleData at master - GitHub so if you want to check them more often you are welcome...

Pavel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	symb_fixed_s57.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	15995  
Old 09-05-2010, 13:03   #405

Boat: 110mtr Lyaemer
I noticed something funny;
From a normal looking chart when no gps is attached the chart gets blurry and vague when a gps is connected...
When the gps is disconnected and the chart is redrawn( after moving the chart or rescaling it) it gets blurry.
I'm talking about the normal beta package on a xp laptop. No latest cvs stuff.
The attachment shows a Hungarian part of the danube, but the Austrian chart shows the same.

Gerard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot-opencpn.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	16002  
Closed Thread