Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 01:41   #76

Boat: 10.50 mètres
Re: OpenCPN Version 2.6 Beta Build 1609

Recently received an advertisement, sent by another charting software, announces that SHOM will start selling the new raster charts. These charts will be taken directly from the photocopies of the paper charts of the SHOM.

This will certainly be encrypted cards like MaptecBSB4 charts and NV-Verlag charts

Old charts of SHOM, have over 15 years. They are dirt out of date. I reported the bug because the French are trying to marry continue to use. But personally, I do make them more confident.

My personal opinion:
It would be preferable to negotiate with the SHOM and create a new plugin that can display new rasters SHOM.

Obviously, the old charts BSB2 SHOM are free to those who find them online. Obviously, new raster charts SHOM will be sold. But safety at sea requires good quality charts

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 12:49   #77

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

I just implemented Ubuntu on my Vista net-book
Running Opencpn 2.6.1609 , I did not notice any big difference between windows and Linux versions except one problem with the tide display window
In this Window , the tide curve is not drawn , only partially drawn when
rolling over (see shot attached)
Is it only for me with a bad Linux setting or any one has the same problem ?
Thanks
JP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture du 2012-04-15 19:20:57.png
Views:	234
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	39970  
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 14:11   #78

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

In addition to my post above , I would like to add that it's Ubuntu 10.10 and another problem is that the the tide/current window is impossible to drag
JP
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 18:54   #79
Marine Service Provider

Gilletarom....

I got the download 7130 file. I don't understand what my previous problem was. A glitch.....

Regarding new SHOM encrypted charts: When we learn what encryption style is used, surely we can build a PlugIn to support them. Do you know when they will be released and sold?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 18:55   #80
Marine Service Provider

Thomas....

Of course, your proposal makes sense. If we are going to see random destructive characters in the header comments of SHOM chart files, then we should learn to ignore the entire line. I'll work on it.

Thanks
Dave
Old 16-04-2012, 08:35   #81

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptizef View Post
In addition to my post above , I would like to add that it's Ubuntu 10.10 and another problem is that the the tide/current window is impossible to drag
JP
I have no problem with the tidal curve on mu Kubuntu 11.10.

It's impossible to move the tide & current dialogs as the Windows title bar is missing. There is nothing to grab, to make click-drag-moves.
I entered this in FS#771 : No windows decoration on Tide & Current dialogs

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 08:55   #82

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello Dave,

The publicity I received indicates these charts should be available for summer 2012.

wait and see.

Gilletarom
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 12:52   #83
Marine Service Provider

Hi Folks...

Here's a question regarding Groups:

If a user deletes or removes an item (directory or chart), and in so doing leaves one or more Groups empty, what do we do?

1. Delete the Group specification?
2. Silently, or with confirm dialog?
3. Log message?
4. Force "All Charts" Group selection, to avoid potential empty screen?

I prefer to delete the group silently, no confirm dialog, LogMessage, and switch to "All charts" group.

Opinions?

Dave
Old 16-04-2012, 13:55   #84
mrm

Boat: crew on Bavaria 38 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I prefer to delete the group silently, no confirm dialog, LogMessage, and switch to "All charts" group.

Opinions?

Dave
All actions which cause something user-created to silently disappear have a high potential for user confusion. How about amending the above with an informative message popup? Something like 'all charts from group X were deleted - removing chart group X'.

One doubt, though. What if charts are on an external drive, which happens to be disconnected when OpenCPN is run? All charts will appear missing - what then?
mrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:18   #85

Boat: 29'

I have an empty group and nothing bad happens for me yet on XP. There's no chart onscreen but so what? If I stray outside the area covered by a chart group, the screen is going to go empty then too... If the group is on a missing external source, again, empty. I'll probably remember to turn all charts on or plug the usb in when that happens.
I hate scolding messages and I hate the computer thinking too much for me...it may be that I'm aware the group is empty, or from a missing source but I don't want it deleted!
What's wrong with an empty screen? If it weren't black it could actually be useful.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 15:22   #86
Marine Service Provider

mrm....

Points taken.

However, we are not actually scrubbing the charts, only the database. The scrubbing only happens just after the user visits Toolbox->Charts. So the case of the missing drive will not kick in until the user actually tries to open a missing chart.

What we are trying to avoid is the case where dir A, belonging to Group GA, is removed from the database, and there is nothing else left in Group GA.
When the user next selects Group GA, black screen results. In fact, Group GA is meaningless without dir A. So it should be deleted.

More?
Dave
Old 16-04-2012, 23:56   #87

My idea:

when you try to select an empty group, OCPN may warn.

And if you try to delete the last chart of the "active" group, OCPN warns and switchs to All Charts group.

Ciao, Marco
GPS-Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:04   #88

Boat: Farr 50

hello- We just started using OpenCPN and it seems to work great. I hooked it into my Vespermarine 850 on a USB port (COM 5) and get GPS data instantly. But, when I try to get AIS data but also selecting COM5 in the AIS tab, I get get the msg "Could not open AIS serial port COM 5. Suggest closing other applications." Messed around with a few things but no luck yet... Excellent product regardless.. John and Tessa.
johnandtessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:13   #89

Boat: 29'

(harping for the nayside) O has so far been wonderfully quiet , except for the (unnecessary) comport warning if the gps is unplugged on a restart, seeing as the greyed boat icon and gps indicator make "nogps" pretty plain already...
Maybe Chartgroups (and Charts loaded in general) could have a red/green indicator light if the ini file is satisfied...

If O is fretting over the ini file and complaining in her diary, that's ok with me As long as she doesn't have a tantrum and start throwing things around....

I've been plug-unplugging a usb drive with Group charts without problems...plug it in and just refresh the Chart database and all's well. There's the inelegant ghost border of missing charts but it's harmless and a warning message still needs the same fix to repair these.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 10:29   #90

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandtessa View Post
hello- We just started using OpenCPN and it seems to work great. I hooked it into my Vespermarine 850 on a USB port (COM 5) and get GPS data instantly. But, when I try to get AIS data but also selecting COM5 in the AIS tab, I get get the msg "Could not open AIS serial port COM 5. Suggest closing other applications." Messed around with a few things but no luck yet... Excellent product regardless.. John and Tessa.
John (or Tessa or both)...
Easy. First select your AIS port and then "AIS port (shared)" as your GPS port.
To be able to do that, first set your GPS to None to get rid of the error you are getting.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn