Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2015, 09:06   #376

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Released

What is stopping someone from copying these charts? Why doesn't it work in linux?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:14   #377
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Because VisitMyHarbor is licensing these charts from HO's like Admiralty and have to encrypt them.

Distribution in this case is via CD or a USB stick which act as a dongle.

The required library to use the charts is only available for Windows in the case of VisitMyHarbor
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:42   #378

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

So presumably this library only allows certain applications to read from these files somehow?

If opencpn can read them, then a hacked opencpn can just as easily write them somewhere else.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:10   #379
bcn

Just another example of an incorrect MMSI:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2015-04-04 a las 10.05.36.png
Views:	197
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	99948  
Old 04-04-2015, 09:21   #380
Marine Service Provider

Hubert, Thomas, et al....

I am not closely following the discussion of MMSI groups, etc. and incorrect query reportage.

Can someone please summarize?
What should we do, specifically?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:39   #381
bcn

Dave,

no issue with OCPN, just with the operators of AIS equipment with erroneous MMSIs.
There was a short question if something was wrong with OCPN from an observation Thomas made, but our conclusion was that in this example an operator used the Group call MMSI in the AIS - where it not belongs, it is just a function for the radio, not for the proper identification of the vessel.
My example from today is just another illustration of the crap we can observe.

More stuff in this line:
Two weeks ago we had here the case of two superyachts on the same shipyard where their AIS defaulted to an identical non conform manufacturer MMSI (filling the mmsitoname log with alerts as the two ship names were different). A service technician finally was able to get one unit right and the other one from the second vessel had to be replaced.
In this moment there is a big cruise vessel in the Barcelona harbor and it seems that it has two AIS units on board, both active but one with "M/V Costa Atlantica" and the second one just with "Costa Atlantica" which yields a mismatch alert every time they send a static report message - first one unit, then the second one.
Old 13-04-2015, 07:59   #382

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

VALDCO doesn't get converted to feet in this case.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	valdeco.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	100360  
Old 13-04-2015, 22:07   #383

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
Re: OpenCPN Version 4.0 Duplicta waypoints

Hi there,
just a small bug that happened to me once or twice before:

I set my anchor watch and go about doing other things like deleting tracks, hiding routes from Route Manager etc, when I go back to my ship position I find several waypoints.
This time I took notice and I deleted 7, some had 50m, 55m and 60m anchor watch distance.
50m is the standard one that comes first time, 55m and 60m are changes I made to the same waypoint on anchoring, a day after I let more rode out and settled finally at 65m.
However I did not create new waypoints, I just changed the 50 to 55, 60 and 65m.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OPCPN4  duplicated anchor.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	100417  
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:41   #384

Boat: Irwin 37 CC

When you double left-click a mark (to retrieve the properties panel) the mark will move to align with the point of the cursor. If I'm just trying to change the name or add a comment, I'd rather it not move. Yes, I know you can use right-click; but this takes longer and it becomes one more nit to remember.

4.0 W7 opengl
Old 29-04-2015, 16:34   #385

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

This might have been discussed before but I can't find the answer.

Several friends who upgraded to 4.0 Windows and the latest alpha in OA, have reported that the raster charts are skewed(previously installed on 3.xx) So it might be a cache issue. I have seen this and fixed it but can't remember how. Any link to the fix please?
Old 30-04-2015, 02:06   #386

Boat: Oneoff

Quote:
In this moment there is a big cruise vessel in the Barcelona harbor and it seems that it has two AIS units on board, both active but one with "M/V Costa Atlantica" and the second one just with "Costa Atlantica" which yields a mismatch alert every time they send a static report message - first one unit, then the second one.
Likely they have a tender with AIS. Officially a tender should have its own mmsi and callsign, but a quit a lot of ships just don't comply.
Would offcourse be nice if O doesn't fill your harddisk with multiple indentical "Mismatch".
rooiedirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 02:46   #387
bcn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooiedirk View Post
Likely they have a tender with AIS. Officially a tender should have its own mmsi and callsign, but a quit a lot of ships just don't comply.
Would offcourse be nice if O doesn't fill your harddisk with multiple indentical "Mismatch".
The funny thing was that the position was not jumping, something we have observed with other dublicated MMSI. Behavior I would expect with a tender. So we can just speculate...

I like the "mismatch" entry on one hand as it alerts about conflicting information, but perhaps we would need a logic to discover that there are two alternating names/static messages to avoid filling up the log.

There are other candidates with somehow broken gear transmitting garbage sometimes - are always the same ships - and as the result is an accidently, random one here a simple strategy will not work.
Old 30-04-2015, 05:36   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
The funny thing was that the position was not jumping, something we have observed with other dublicated MMSI. Behavior I would expect with a tender. So we can just speculate...

I like the "mismatch" entry on one hand as it alerts about conflicting information, but perhaps we would need a logic to discover that there are two alternating names/static messages to avoid filling up the log.

There are other candidates with somehow broken gear transmitting garbage sometimes - are always the same ships - and as the result is an accidently, random one here a simple strategy will not work.
One common method is to track the last error and count how many times in a row it's emitted, logging only occasionally (like every 10th or 100th occurrence).
fogmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:08   #389

Boat: 30' racer cruiser

Hi there,

I got a HP Stream 8 with a built-in GPS as a backup for my new Lenovo Miix 2. It's mainly to run OpenCPN on it. I kept on trying to connect the internal GPS with OpenCPN but it wouldn't work.

Finally I found info on the web; others having the same problem. Apparently OpenCPN does not like the driver HP uses to run this particular GPS which is called ''Broadcom GNSS 4752 Geolocation Sensor.''

I tried to download the right driver for it but couldn't find one. I contacted HP tech support. They say that I have to go to the website of OpenCPN for more info. There it mentions this forum - so here I am...

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks!
goingplaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:55   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingplaces View Post
Hi there,

I got a HP Stream 8 with a built-in GPS as a backup for my new Lenovo Miix 2. It's mainly to run OpenCPN on it. I kept on trying to connect the internal GPS with OpenCPN but it wouldn't work.

Finally I found info on the web; others having the same problem. Apparently OpenCPN does not like the driver HP uses to run this particular GPS which is called ''Broadcom GNSS 4752 Geolocation Sensor.''

I tried to download the right driver for it but couldn't find one. I contacted HP tech support. They say that I have to go to the website of OpenCPN for more info. There it mentions this forum - so here I am...

Does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks!
http://opencpn.org/ocpn/touch_tablet

https://bitbucket.org/petrsimon/geol...ntcp/downloads
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn