Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 11:17   #106

Re: OpenCPN Version 4.8.2 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
You don't know Tracker? Flyspray?
https://opencpn.org/flyspray/

Register first
I have not use it at all, so I don't know how. But will try.

Note:- How to enter a new item?
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 22:13   #107

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
I have not use it at all, so I don't know how. But will try.

Note:- How to enter a new item?
(Yes your eyes please.)

P_Dub
See the top line of the website for Tracker
Register yourself here

Once Registered go to this Project "Feature Request" (Right Dropdown)

Pick "Add new Task" in the top black line next to "Tasklist"

If this is about a Tides issue, put it in the Feature Requests section, it is not a program bug IMHO.

Start the "Summary" with "TIDE- (add short summary)" Then add a complete description of what you want. Make sure it says "Feature Request" and then Save.

I will never write this again. Period.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:16   #108

On the "About 4.8.2 page" https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/about/ver482.html

it talks about a new feature where you can drop a waypoint with a single keystroke, etc.
"If you need to drop a waypoint at the current ship's gps location using a single keystroke, there is a new feature in 4.8.2 that may help you. Simply add spacedropmark=1 to the opencpn.ini file. Now you will get a mark at the boat's position whenever you press the spacebar."

It says to make changes to the opencpn.ini file.
On my Rpi I don't find that file anywhere? However there is an opencpn.conf file in my .opencpn directory which does have that particular line
SpaceDropMark=0 in it.

Is that something that could be updated on the above web page?

I am testing OpenCPN at my desk (I have a gps connected to the Rpi) and I don't see that this function is working. Is there something else that needs to be enabled?

thanks,
Ron
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:23   #109

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post

it talks about a new feature where you can drop a waypoint with a single keystroke, etc.
"If you need to drop a waypoint at the current ship's gps location using a single keystroke, there is a new feature in 4.8.2 that may help you. Simply add spacedropmark=1 to the opencpn.ini file. Now you will get a mark at the boat's position whenever you press the spacebar."

On my Rpi I don't find that file anywhere? However there is an opencpn.conf file in my .opencpn directory which does have that particular line
SpaceDropMark=0 in it.

I am testing OpenCPN at my desk (I have a gps connected to the Rpi) and I don't see that this function is working. Is there something else that needs to be enabled?

thanks,
Ron
Works just fine here.

You have to edit the configuration file while OpenCPN is NOT running.

~/.opencpn/opencpn.conf is Linux specific, on Windows and macOS the file is called opencpn.ini. Anyway, on all platforms, the complete location of it is in the about dialog.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2018, 19:26   #110

Ron, I'll I can make a note there and under RPI install, but not everywhere. You RPI guys should all know this IMHO

Did you restart O?
What version do you have? 4.8.2 I assume?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon47 View Post

SpaceDropMark=0 in it.

thanks,
Ron
Old 25-03-2018, 19:54   #111

Yes, running version 4.8.2. I was trying to modify the file, while OpenCPN was running and then restarting, not realizing it was changing the settings back to default. When I modify the file without the program running, everything is working fine.

thanks for your help. Now how do you handle the space bar push when you are running on an Rpi and accessing the screen from a tablet over VPN or RDX in the cockpit?

Some of us Rpi guys are new to this, but we usually hunt around until we figure it out.

Ron
Old 25-03-2018, 20:05   #112

Ron...
If you have no space key and there is no application providing it available for the tablet, then this feature probably is not going to address your need...

I would personally write a trivial plugin implementing a toolbar icon or a "small always on top window with a big button" if I needed this.
90% of the code needed you get by taking pretty much any existing plugin and striping it down, the rest is an ideal beginner plugin developer exercise.

Pavel
Old 25-03-2018, 20:12   #113

Sure sounds like fun! I appreciate the feature and the work going into this project. It is great stuff.

thanks,
Ron
Old 26-03-2018, 03:33   #114

Boat: Westerly 33AK, 33 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to Knaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
@Knaz
We have to depend on Users to update these pages sometimes. Can you please be more specific regarding necessary changes to this page, or perhaps rewrite portions if you feel competent to do so?

If not, perhaps someone else familiar with Linux can take a careful look a this page since it is the Main Installation Instructions for Linux and Knaz has made a serious charge.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...allation:linux
Today I see renewed page...

But 3 upper links is broken (Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo): text "go to " included in URL.

On next page: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadopencpn.html section of Debian is very old. Actual Debian is Stretch (9.x). Which compatible Ubuntu Release for Ubuntu PPA for Debian Stretch is compatible?
Knaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 13:41   #115

Boat: I Wish
Send a message via Skype™ to sbfreddie

Hi All:
I thought I would try out OpenCPN 4.8.2 on My Macs (2).
Downloaded from website installed, all is well. Until I tried to download the GSGGG basemaps with the Chart Downloader.
CRASH!

CrashDump attached, please remove the .doc:

Thanks,
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: doc OpenCPN_2018-03-25-200629_freddies-MacBookPro.crash.doc (60.7 KB, 23 views)
sbfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:05   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfreddie View Post
Hi All:
I thought I would try out OpenCPN 4.8.2 on My Macs (2).
Downloaded from website installed, all is well. Until I tried to download the GSGGG basemaps with the Chart Downloader.
CRASH!

CrashDump attached, please remove the .doc:

Thanks,
Ed
Ed...
Repeatable? Any of the GSHHS charts or some in particular? To where are you trying to save them?
The crash comes from the external libarchive library used to decompress the downloaded archive and I am not able to reproduce it on my macOS machine.

Pavel
Old 26-03-2018, 16:33   #117

Knaz wrote:

Quote:
Today I see renewed page...

But 3 upper links is broken (Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo): text "go to " included in URL.

On next page: https://opencpn.org/OpenCPN/info/downloadopencpn.html section of Debian is very old. Actual Debian is Stretch (9.x). Which compatible Ubuntu Release for Ubuntu PPA for Debian Stretch is compatible?
Thanks very much Pavel. Knaz looks like the links are fixed too.

This is the text for Debian on the downloads page. I assume it is now "Stretch (9.x)" with the same icon or different?

"For Debian derivatives, you can use the same packages as for some Ubuntu releases.
Debian Oldstable (Wheezy) You can use the packages from the Ubuntu PPA.
The compatible Ubuntu Release is Lucid. Unfortunately we can't add new Lucid builds to the PPA anymore due to it being obsolete. If you need newer plugins, you may try to use Precise packages instead. (You will most likely also need to upgrade your libc6 to version 2.15 or newer, so please consider switching to Jessie completely.)
Debian Stable (Jessie) You can use the packages from the Ubuntu PPA mentioned above. The compatible Ubuntu Release is Trusty."

What should it say and what links? We can ask Kathi B. if she would make the change for us, if we have the URL's and Text.
Old 26-03-2018, 16:56   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Ed...
Repeatable? Any of the GSHHS charts or some in particular? To where are you trying to save them?
The crash comes from the external libarchive library used to decompress the downloaded archive and I am not able to reproduce it on my macOS machine.

Pavel
Pavel:
I was trying to add the High Res GSHHS chart using the add button in Chart Downloader tab, selected the GSHHS folder, then from the predefined tab selecting All GSHHG Basemaps, then click on OK. All is fine so far, then in the Chart Downloader catalog window select GSHHS World Basemap, then press update, all is still fine. Now it does not matter whether I select 1 or all the charts, when I press the Download button for the Selected Charts it crashes after downloading a small portion of the file(s).

Attached is what the GSHHG folder looks like after it crashes.
Please remove the .doc
Thanks,
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: doc GSHHG Folder.tiff.doc (92.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 26-03-2018, 17:16   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfreddie View Post
Pavel:
I was trying to add the High Res GSHHS chart using the add button in Chart Downloader tab, selected the GSHHS folder, then from the predefined tab selecting All GSHHG Basemaps, then click on OK. All is fine so far, then in the Chart Downloader catalog window select GSHHS World Basemap, then press update, all is still fine. Now it does not matter whether I select 1 or all the charts, when I press the Download button for the Selected Charts it crashes after downloading a small portion of the file(s).

Attached is what the GSHHG folder looks like after it crashes.
Please remove the .doc
Thanks,
Ed
Yes, that is in line with the crash report - it says the segfault happens at the end of decompression of the downloaded archive, when the timestamp of the extracted file is being set, I just have absolutely no idea why that may be the case.

What filesystem type are you using (You will see it in the "Disk Utility.app")?
May you start the Terminal.app and attach the output of
Code:
ls -la /Users/freddie/Documents/Charts/GSHHG/
to see the permissions on the files please?

Pavel
Old 26-03-2018, 17:26   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Yes, that is in line with the crash report - it says the segfault happens at the end of decompression of the downloaded archive, when the timestamp of the extracted file is being set, I just have absolutely no idea why that may be the case.

What filesystem type are you using (You will see it in the "Disk Utility.app")?
May you start the Terminal.app and attach the output of
Code:
ls -la /Users/freddie/Documents/Charts/GSHHG/
to see the permissions on the files please?

Pavel
Pavel:
Attached are snapshots of the two things you requested.
Please remove the .doc

Thanks,
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: doc Disk Utility Window.tiff.doc (79.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: doc Terminal Output.tiff.doc (23.5 KB, 27 views)

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn