Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2018, 11:21   #31
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Version 4.8.4 Released

Ron...

Google is your friend.

Take a look at this page. Worked for me.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1306...rror-no-pubkey

Wiki update, anyone?

Good Luck
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:37   #32

thanks,
I use Google "ALL THE TIME!" and probably followed that link as well, but it seemed to send me on an endless loop of trying to add stuff. I just went back to the 'old' method of installing OpenCPN (instead of using the Synaptic Package Manager) and that worked. I know have OpenCPN 4.8.4 running. Of course, the Noaa chart site is not working at the moment, so I cannot load charts. there is always something that is frustrating about this DOIY method.

thanks,
Ron
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:05   #33

It looks like with Stretch they depreciated (whatever that means) the old keyserver method.

read here
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=193536
CapnRon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 13:17   #34

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft.

I upgraded to version 4.8.4 from 4.0, but now I have both versions installed. How do uninstall 4.0? I can not find a procedure by searching the forum or web. Thanks.
morgan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 13:23   #35

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan38 View Post
I upgraded to version 4.8.4 from 4.0, but now I have both versions installed. How do uninstall 4.0? I can not find a procedure by searching the forum or web. Thanks.
What is your operating system?
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2018, 13:50   #36

I have two macs, one with OS 10.10.5 which I use on the boat. The other has OS 10.9.5. I see 4.8.4 in applications. but 4.0 is listed as a device. Not sure why, but when I installed 4.8, it had a box to drag its folder into the application folder.
Old 14-05-2018, 14:04   #37

Quote:
I have two macs, one with OS 10.10.5 which I use on the boat. The other has OS 10.9.5. I see 4.8.4 in applications. but 4.0 is listed as a device. Not sure why, but when I installed 4.8, it had a box to drag its folder into the application folder.
The DMG image, when mounted, always "is listed as a device", to unmount it, click the eject icon next to it's name in Finder (or pull it to the eject icon in the Dock, to which the recycle bin changes once you start pulling).
The only difference between OpenCPN 4.0 and 4.8.4 related to this is that 4.0 did not have that beautiful picture with the arrow showing you to pull it to Applications, but the way to install it was exactly the same.

To uninstall an application on macOS, simply delete (Pull to recycle bin) it from the Applications folder in Finder.

None of this is specific to OpenCPN, macOS has been working like this for ages.
Old 14-05-2018, 14:17   #38

Thanks for reply. Problem is that 4.0 does not appear in the application folder, but 4.8 does. I guess I could remove 4.8 by moving it to the trash. But I would rather remove 4.0. If I could find the location of all 4.0 files, I could trash them. I have not been able to find them though. If there was an uninstall feature like many programs, things would be easier, and a more complete removal.
Old 14-05-2018, 14:20   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
...I have started to notice an intermittent (but frequent) bug. When I pan the chart and then re-activate auto follow, sometimes the window will go totally blue (as in deep water), and overzoom warning comes on. But no matter what I do to reduce the zoom, nothing happens. Invariably a crash happens within a less than a minute. Upon re-launching, the window is zoomed all the way out (I see the base map for the whole world), and have to zoom way in to get back to the view that I had before.

Let me know if there are log files that I can provide. And recognize that I do all sorts of things in the .ini file with relative paths, etc., which might be contributing to this problem.
I just returned from a two-day shakedown/delivery to move my boat from winter storage to summer marina. The above-mentioned issue happened once during the trip. It's not easy to replicate since it's so intermittent.

I notice another potentially more serious issue. I had two instances where large ships passed me, and their AIS location fell 5-10 minutes behind in OpenCPN. The first case was very harrowing because I saw a large ship coming up right behind me, but I could not see any vessel there. The second time it happened with another ship, it dawned on me that it might be an aged sample, so I did a target query and it said the report age was 12 seconds. I quit out of OpenCPN and re-launched, and the ship's AIS icon was now in the correct place.

While it's theoretically possible that the vessels were transmitting out of date data onto VHF, the chance that two different ones had the same issue is remote, and it would not have been fixed by quitting and rebooting. Again, not sure how to replicate this, as during the summer time I'm sailing in a different place with less ship traffic.

I guess the first question is whether anyone else has seen this problem?
Old 14-05-2018, 15:19   #40

Quote:
Thanks for reply. Problem is that 4.0 does not appear in the application folder, but 4.8 does. I guess I could remove 4.8 by moving it to the trash. But I would rather remove 4.0. If I could find the location of all 4.0 files, I could trash them. I have not been able to find them though. If there was an uninstall feature like many programs, things would be easier, and a more complete removal.
Then why do you think 4.0 is installed at all? If it is not in Applications, you would not be able to uninstall it anyway as you would also not find the uninstall utility...
You can sure open Terminal and run
Code:
sudo find / -name OpenCPN
Looking at the result we should be able to tell you what you need to do.
Old 15-05-2018, 03:27   #41

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

In the Raspberry Pi 2/3 Instructions page I've added the following note Apt-key Deprecated

However this is by no means adequate documentation!!
Will someone who knows this OS please do the necessary remedial work? (-no, not directed at you Pavel! Someone else please)
Thanks.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 06:24   #42

Both versions can run at the same time so both must be installed. 4.8 has a dialog box that allows you to drag it's folder into applications, 4.0 does not. I have to find out where the 4.0 folder resides. I am historically a Windows user, but was given a Mac so I am still learning it's file management.

I was hoping 4.8 would simply replace 4.0 leaving my data. Or at least have an uninstall feature. I like the program, and it is free so I can't complain.

Removing 4.8 is an option. Are there any significant advantages to it over 4.0?
Old 15-05-2018, 06:33   #43

Quote:
Both versions can run at the same time so both must be installed.
No, not true. Actually none of them "must be installed".
From what you write, it seems that you actually never installed 4.0 at all and were running it from the distribution DMG image.
Quote:
4.8 has a dialog box that allows you to drag it's folder into applications, 4.0 does not. I have to find out where the 4.0 folder resides. I am historically a Windows user, but was given a Mac so I am still learning it's file management.
The way to install 4.0 and 4.8.4 is exactly the same, you drag it from the mounted DMG image to Applications folder, the only difference is the picture with the arrow in the "dialog 4.8.4 has and 4.0 did not have". If you did not do this with 4.0 you never "installed" it and do not have to "uninstall" it.
macOS simply is not Windows.
Quote:
I was hoping 4.8 would simply replace 4.0 leaving my data. Or at least have an uninstall feature. I like the program, and it is free so I can't complain.
This is exactly what happens, you simply start using 4.8.4 instead of 4.0, all your data is preserved. Do you actually observe some problem?
Quote:
Removing 4.8 is an option. Are there any significant advantages to it over 4.0?
Why do you want to remove 4.8? Yes it has gazillion significant advantages over 4.0.
Old 15-05-2018, 06:56   #44

Where would the dmg image be located?
Old 15-05-2018, 06:57   #45

Quote:
Where would the dmg image be located?
Wherever you saved it when you downloaded it. By default in your Downloads folder.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn