Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 06:57   #211

Boat: Sailboat
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.1.428 Beta Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal View Post
According to the logs, see that this is optimization. But what about those who have mbtiles in a separate group and are used as the main chart? For example, I'm used to splitting the screen into two parts in one ENC in the second mbtiles.
All the same, it’s possible to give an option in the CPN settings for two modes: 1. overlay, 2. without overlay?
Thus, we come to the resolution of disputes with the display of mbtiles

I have similar issues with that optimization. Until it becomes an option I will remove it from my local git. It may be time to start a fork

Code:
 git revert 8b683aec636494aa24a30721134dba63e12a3f41
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:11   #212

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Dave, yes safety mode. From the log file, it appeared that there was some problem with vdr, but actually I found that weather_routing and watchdog are problems in Ubuntu 18.04.

When they are enabled Opencpn either fails or starts "acting up" and eventually fails. The next time you start opencpn there is a "safety mode" notice. Is there any possibility that this message could show the text in the logfile error line otherwise users will have no idea what the problem is?

I found that to fix this I had to go to Home/.local/lib/opencpn and remove the offending plugin. Most users would not necessarily know this location I think.

Then Opencpn Loaded without the "safety mode" notice and the plugin icons displayed properly.

--What to do about weather-routing and watchdog? Remove metadata for ubuntu 18.04?

This is by using my built version of Opencpn beta. I still havent been able to install the cloudsmith version.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:16   #213

I also found that when enabling Radar the popup selection did not appear and caused trouble and hangups because I did not see it! This popup stayed underneath the Options > Plugin Menu, so it is problematical particularly for the uninitiated.

This radar selection menu should appear on top of the Options >Plugin Menu.

Also it is configured so that you must select something to get out of it!
You should be able to close the Radar popup selection menu and have the plugin automatically uncheck "enable" so that users can back out of enabling the plugin.

With these changes I think Radar would be better behaved for new users.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:56   #214

ENABLE BUTTON When should it show and be available?

The PI Manager interface is complicated, but there is something about having the enable button always available and able to be selected that is not really right and does not properly represent the way the entire system works. (note I am still feeling my way through this discovering too).

Perhaps this enable button should always show and be available for the "internal plugins" because the tarball has already been installed.

However for the other plugins, if there is no tarball installed, the enable button should not appear, until after the plugin has been "Installed" (not "Reinstalled as it shows sometimes) and until after a tarball has been downloaded from cloudsmith.
Then the enable button can show, and the user will know to select it next.

If a plugin has been previously installed and the enable button unchecked, the enable feature should remain.

If a plugin has been Disabled and "Uninstalled" then the enable button should not appear as an option until the tarball has been installed.

This gets somewhat complicated by the "cache" which stores older tarballs, some of which can be outdated, and occasionally some will be damaged, with the potential of disabling the PI Manager system if they "get installed from cache" and "enabled".

The situation I have now because of ubuntu 18.04 weather-routing and watchdog (Note that these plugins work ok under Windows).

Most users would not know that they need to remove the offending lib plugin from

Home > .local > lib > opencpn where lib*.so files are stored, but maybe after some frustrating hours someone will tell them and they might remember the next time.

Also regarding the cache, (because the plugin still resides and can be installed and enabled from the tarball too. After a search, the cache is located Home > .opencpn > plugins > cache > tarballs or metadata

From there I have now removed weather_routing 1.13.7 and watchdog 2.4.8.1
Of course I should also take those metadata records for watchdog and weather_routing out of the cache > metadata > ocpn-plugins.xml too!

But that will be updated back to include watchdog and weather_routing every time the user updates the "Master" catalog! ..so all of this is pretty futile in the case of a plugin that is failing!

But how do we easily clean up user's machines in this event? These considerations are important in the context of the whole system...
Old 08-05-2020, 10:20   #215

So, I guess I will remove the ubuntu 18.04 metadata for watchdog and weather-routing, by PR to plugins, but should that be done for all ubuntu or should we let people test?
Old 08-05-2020, 10:40   #216

What a little disaster. Why make simple it if we can complicated. Is There anybody having comment sense. Why change the version working OK. For what reason?
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14   #217

Boat: Lightwave 45

Umm... By that reasoning, we should all still be travelling by horse because it is simple, and the complicated motor vehicle should not have been developed. Progress...

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
What a little disaster. Why make simple it if we can complicated. Is There anybody having comment sense. Why change the version working OK. For what reason?
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:25   #218

Actually there is one version installed I think.

I had synaptic but had to fix it. Should I not use "software & updates" at the same time as synaptic?

It appears I have one Opencpn 5.00.0018-bionic1 program, but I know that I have also cloned, updated and built Opencpn Beta and then installed it using 'sudo make install' and the version I am using has 5.1.428 in it. That version is located in usr/local/bin

I have no idea where this other version is located, or is it the same?
Then why isn't it v 5.1.428? See attached please.

I guess I can remove it, it won't remove my build of opencpn, and just install the one from Cloudsmith as you suggest. Ubuntu does not support parallel installs???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Rick....
For your system:
Your package management database is now a mess. Two versions of O installed, various GSHHS files installed, etc.
You should take a look at a program called "synaptic". This is an interface to debian package management that gives a much clearer idea of what is installed, available, etc.

$sudo apt-get install synaptic
$sudo synaptic

Use search button (upper right of GUI) to find "opencpn". It will list everything it knows about opencpn. Uninstall completely everything related to opencpn.

Then, using the "repository" menu, add the opencpn Beta repo. Reload, and you will see the option to install opencpn. Do that, and all should be clean again.

Good Luck, help available if you need it.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (719).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	214631  
Old 08-05-2020, 11:37   #219

Boat: Lightwave 45

I use Sat2chart (latest versions) to create the mbtiles from SASPlanet, with the merge option selected.
My graphics is standard AMD environment, which presumably means ATI

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Karanga, how are you making your mbTiles? I make mine with SAS Planet, & sometimes merge them with Sat2Chart, & I've never had the sorts of problems you're seeing.

I'm assuming that, since you're using an AMD processor, you're using the ATI graphcs?
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:43   #220

Tim[/QUOTE]
NZ horse have no power!
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:55   #221

Boat: Outremer 50S

Finally got 5.1.428 installed so I could play with it. Overall I like how it works. But (that is the point of this thread, right?) it seems that the depth values are being scaled around an anchor point at the bottom right of the text. This has the effect of making them appear to move a bit north and west (presuming north up).

I use my favorite all-weather hole as my test area, there is a 5 fathom hole right in the center. This shows up pretty well in the raster version. Switching to vector at zero scale and feet the depth moves a bit to the left because it is now two characters. And switching to two scale it moves further. If it hasn't been suggested/addressed before, should the text anchor point be middle-center so that it doesn't appear to move when changing units or scaling?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Depth scaling.png
Views:	51
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	214636
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:47   #222

OK I've removed that one version of Opencpn now using synaptic package manager. It also removed gshhs packages etc.

Am I supposed to use repository http://ppa.launchpad/bdbcat/opencpn/ubuntu

to install?

I thought I needed to the the version on cloudsmith?
https://cloudsmith.io/~david-registe...d2-1_amd64deb/

Which I have in my download directory now.
Old 08-05-2020, 13:01   #223

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Actually there is one version installed I think.

I had synaptic but had to fix it. Should I not use "software & updates" at the same time as synaptic?
No, pointless.They basically do the same thing.

It appears I have one Opencpn 5.00.0018-bionic1 program, but I know that I have also cloned, updated and built Opencpn Beta and then installed it using 'sudo make install' and the version I am using has 5.1.428 in it. That version is located in usr/local/bin
Then just run /usr/local/bin/0pencpn from the CL.
This version is not visible in Synaptic as it's not a package.
Use "make package" instead of "make install", if you want a package.

I have no idea where this other version is located, or is it the same?
Opencpn 5.00.0018-bionic1 is in /usr/bin/opencpn, as stated in Synaptic-Package-Properties-installed files.
Then why isn't it v 5.1.428? See attached please.
Because you are using the standard PPA instead of the beta PPA.

I guess I can remove it, it won't remove my build of opencpn, and just install the one from Cloudsmith as you suggest. Ubuntu does not support parallel installs???
You already have one version in /usr/bin and one in /usr/local/bin. Both are however using the same .conf file.
Please move your attempts to figure out Linux to another thread and keep this thread for actually testing 5.1.428.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 15:01   #224

It was not clear to me how to install the tarball using synaptic, so I simply clicked on the file and used the software installer as I did before. Of course it installed quite readily, now that there was not another Opencpn version in the way.

Therefore it appears that parallel installs of Opencpn are not possible in Ubuntu.

This is working very much as the built version was, and has the same version number.

Good point Cag.
Old 08-05-2020, 15:01   #225
Moo

Why don't all those whinging about the MBtiles support of OCPN just navigate in SASPLanet? I know a lot of people who do just that.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn