Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 15:53   #226

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.1.428 Beta Test

Ubuntu 18.04 with Opencpn 5.1.428 Bionic+gtk3 - Watchdog does install, and the menu acts normally, showing the watchdog icon, however as soon as the enable box is checked opencpn crashes.

The next time OpenCPN is opened there is a message "Safe Restart Mode" no/yes. When the user picks safe restart and opens Options > Plugins, all the plugins have changed into an uninstalled status I believe. Since I know that the program crashed when I enabled watchdog, I would like to be able to disable watchdog now, but cannot!

Is there a way to give the user that kind of "disable" access from "Safe Mode"?
I'll do this from config file now.

Cags thank you taking the time to help me with Linux. Much appreciated. I realize now from your response, that it is possible to have two versions installed. Incidentally, I had one version installed at location usr/.local/bin from my build, which was in the way of installing the other Opencpn, I believe. Will take it elsewhere next time.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 16:01   #227

Boat: Lightwave 45

I'm pretty sure that navigating by SASPlanet requires internet and online in order to get the data. Many people sail further from the coast than internet reaches...

And I'm not whinging. I'm just identifying a feature that is somehow not working in a beta version - exactly what a beta version is for.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Why don't all those whinging about the MBtiles support of OCPN just navigate in SASPLanet? I know a lot of people who do just that.
Karanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 16:01   #228

Well, I am still learning Opencpn Ubuntu. The next time I start Opencpn there is no prompt for "Save Mode" and the plugins all load and icons show in the toolbar, except watchdog, which explains why I could not find it in the opencpn.conf file and do not need to disable manually.

Here is a good thread to use for MBtiles
Old 08-05-2020, 16:11   #229
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
I'm pretty sure that navigating by SASPlanet requires internet and online in order to get the data. Many people sail further from the coast than internet reaches...

And I'm not whinging. I'm just identifying a feature that is somehow not working in a beta version - exactly what a beta version is for.

Tim
SasPlanet can save data to cache so you can use it offline, but it's not a chart plotter so nothing like the capabilities of opencpn. I use mbtiles a lot saved directly from sasplanet so will give the beta O a good go soon and see how it goes.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 16:22   #230
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

"I found that weather_routing and watchdog are problems in Ubuntu 18.04."

AFAIK, you are the current sponsor/co-author of those plugins. If they are discovered faulty after release, they should be withdrawn, and fixed. That process is one of the advantages of "managed plugins"; we can at least limit the proliferation of faulty plugins.

So I'll watch for your PR to drop them from the catalog, and await your fix.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 16:29   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Rick...

AFAIK, you are the current sponsor/co-author of those plugins. If they are discovered faulty after release, they should be withdrawn, and fixed. That process is one of the advantages of "managed plugins"; we can at least limit the proliferation of faulty plugins.

Thanks
Dave

Dave, I asked a question about this below. Windows versions work.
Should I withdraw all Ubuntu versions or just 18.04, or the whole plugin?
Old 08-05-2020, 16:31   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Rick...

Thanks
Dave

Dave, I asked a question about this below. Windows versions work.
Should I withdraw all Ubuntu versions or just 18.04, or the whole plugin?
As you know I was concerned about getting the various environments tested, because I knew they had not been, perhaps these plugins should be in the Beta catalog instead, minus the ones I know don't work?

Additionally, I am unsure to what extent these problems are arrising from the use of Opencpn Bionic gtk3 and the two plugin alternatives for example watchdog for bionic and watchdog for bionic-gtk3. Is it possible that there is some unforseen problem with regard to compatiblity and not so much the plugin?
Old 08-05-2020, 16:41   #233
Marine Service Provider

Rick...

This is the process:

1. Remove only the ones that are known not to work. Encourage continued testing on those platforms where it appears to work OK.

2. Fix the bugs in the removed platforms.

3. Re-introduce on master catalog when fixed.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-05-2020, 16:44   #234
Marine Service Provider

Baikal....
re:
"The help window floats somewhere in space! The window slides up the screen and cannot be closed!
Correct? so that the borders of the window are on the borders of the screen."

Not seen here.
A screen-shot would be useful.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-05-2020, 16:48   #235
Marine Service Provider

Rick...
re:
"I also found that when enabling Radar the popup selection did not appear and caused trouble and hangups because I did not see it!"

Probably best posted on the Radar_pi github projects as an issue. Not directly related to OCPN 5.1 Beta.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-05-2020, 18:03   #236

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

I posted this in the Weather Routing thread, but thought it might be worth also posting here, because it is not really weather routing specific (except explains why some people don't see the WxRoute plugin when they update the catalog).

Windows 10... tried to do a "parallel" install of O5.1.438x on my normal Programs folder. Though it installed the PROGRAM part of the install into a separate folder in Program Files, it installed OVER my 4.8.6 data in the ProgramData folder. I stupidly told it I wanted a "clean install", to test the full effect on a new user, so it blew away all my 4.8.6 installation/configuration/data (that I wanted to keep separate). (I do have a backup, so not a major issue, but now I remember why I'm running 5.0.x from a USB drive!!).

I now have 4 versions of OpenCPN installed! My old 4.8.6, 5.0.x Standalone on a USB drive, and 5.1.428 (two different versions, one on my hard drive "sharing" the same data folder as 4.8.6, and one that I'm trying to make standalone on a separate USB drive).

Catalog Issues

When I click Update Catalog from "Beta" on either 5.1.x version, I get almost nothing in the catalog. When I click Update Catalog from "Master" I get a number of plugins in the list. On 4.1.428.8f20022, when I look at the file ocpn-plugins.xml in the root data directory, the version of the Master Catalog is the same (0.0.0) but the date is different.

<plugins>
<version>0.0.0</version>
<date>2020-05-06 11:44</date>

This one includes wxroute (about 10 copies of it):

<plugin version="1">
<name> WeatherRouting </name>
<version> 1.13.7 </version>
<release> 0 </release>
<summary> Compute optimal routes based on weather and constraints.
</summary>
<api-version> 1.16 </api-version>]
etc

Note there are about 10 copies of wxroute and 10 copies of Windvane in this xml file (a bug, probably??), but only one of each shows up in the list in Settings/Plugins. Probably the other plugin entries are also duplicated (did not look furtherup in the file above WxRoute. Not sure if each copy is identical, and if not, whether the first, last, or random entry is the one that is used by the Plugin Manager.

On 4.1.428.e63cdd2 The ocpn-plugins.xml header looks like this

<plugins>
<version>0.0.0</version>
<date>2020-05-08 20:06</date>

This plugin Master file DOES NOT have wxroute in it, but it still has multiple copies of entries for each plugin.

SUGGESTION: The Version and date information from these Catalog files SHOULD be listed by the Options / Plugins screen, to help track down issues with the xml file.

Edit: Clicking "Update Catalog" in either version, does NOT change the xml file. (the date created on my file doesn't change, and the contents of the file doesn't change), so they must be checking different places for that file, or not checking at all.

Note: When I enabled and set up Weather Routing on the "standalone" USB drive, none of the WxRoute data files were found. Not sure where they went. But on the install on my normal hard drive, it did wipe my old wxroute data and re-install new files appropriate for a new installation of WxRoute. I wish "parallel" and "standalone" installation could be made to work properly... (maybe it does in Linux, just not on Windows?)

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 18:09   #237

Soggy Paws, please see some answers to your questions at your same duplicate post in Weatherrouting. Bdbcat can respond to your suggestion best.
Old 08-05-2020, 18:22   #238

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

rgleason, thanks. Sorry for duplicate post, but I thought it important that Catalog issues not be buried in a WxRoute thread. I have updated catalogs in both versions now, and I see Wxroute in the list in both (for Windows).

What version should I be testing with? I had a copy of 4.1.428.e63cdd2 that Terry Valhalla gave me on a USB stick, but when I decided I needed to test with a more normal config, the only version I could find to download to install was 4.1.428.8f20022.

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 18:29   #239
Marine Service Provider

SoggyPaws...
re:
"Note there are about 10 copies of wxroute and 10 copies of Windvane in this xml file (a bug, probably??)"

No, not a bug. The catalog contains entries for all known OpenCPN platforms. At run-time, OCPN selects the plugin metadata appropriate for your platform. The key lines in each plugin are (for Windows)

Code:
<target>msvc</target>
<target-version>10.0.14393</target-version>
You will see targets for various linux flavors, Mac, raspberry Pi, etc.

There is a default catalog distributed with the OCPN installer. But it is essentially immediate obsolete, due to the pace of plugin development. That is why the plugin dialog reminds you to download the latest master catalog.
Beta catalog is empty at present.

Also, 4.1.428.8f20022 should be fine.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-05-2020, 18:41   #240

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I used to use OpenCPN until I tried Time Zero. In a pinch I'd think about going back to OpenCPN but I doubt it.

Whats your point? This thread is about testing not your opinion of the software...
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn