Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 19:24   #241

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.1.428 Beta Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baikal
According to the logs, see that this is optimization. But what about those who have mbtiles in a separate group and are used as the main chart? For example, I'm used to splitting the screen into two parts in one ENC in the second mbtiles.
All the same, it’s possible to give an option in the CPN settings for two modes: 1. overlay, 2. without overlay?
Thus, we come to the resolution of disputes with the display of mbtiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
I have similar issues with that optimization. Until it becomes an option I will remove it from my local git. It may be time to start a fork
Lease & Baikal, I may be the main reason Dave changed the handling of mbTiles (Flyspray #2601). But the only part that's been implemented so far is that OpenCPN no longer automatically opens every mbTile it comes to, a start to treating mbTiles the same as other charts (& a huge performance improvement). Users now have to open each mbTile manually, just like other charts.

Is this a problem for you folks? If so, how can we satisfy both of us? I'm not understanding how you use mbTiles, & how the new treatment is impacting you, but I'd like to arrive at a mutually agreeable solution.

As written, #2601 asks for a switch so users can have multiple mbTiles open at the same time or just a single mbTile (which would allow the use of the old click-the-piano-key-&-that-chart-displays-immediately paradigm). This has not yet been implemented, but I presume that other switches can also be implemented if necessary. Maybe the concept of a user selectable "default chart type" (currently CM93?) that gets used if available? It's just SMOP
Old 08-05-2020, 19:55   #242

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
... I may be the main reason ...
¡Si!

I can only speak for the use case on our boat. Since O 4.99 with mbtiles capability came about, I have been creating multi-zoom-level mbtiles with SASPlanet (on Linux, so no GE2KAP etc for me). I keep my mbtiles to <4GByte, have many of them, and have not seen a problem loading them during startup in the past. (Dell E7470 i5 8G-RAM)

I keep my charts organized in many separate groups, including mbtiles: Navionics (including sonar) and Sat pics (selecting the best during cruise prep: bing/google/nokia/xxx). I never mingle vectorcharts with raster or mbtiles.

When selecting a chart group with mbtiles I expect O to come up with a pertinent chart and a reasonable zoomlevel. It did, with some difficulties on overlapping mbtiles. It doesn't now, I get an empty chart canvas and a piano bar with a bunch of red Xs.

Clear as mud?
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 20:48   #243
Marine Service Provider

LeaseOnLife...

So, hypothetically speaking, you would like the old behavior if:
a) A group is opened containing ONLY MBTiles
and
b) The maximum size of any MBTileset is less than (x) GByte.

Do I have this right?
And I think this satisfies Baikal, as well.

You see the essential problem here. Properly quilting small scale, large area, multi-zoom tilesets is a difficult and expensive proposition. And we run on platforms of a very wide performance range, so getting the defaults optimized is not trivial, but is critical to functionality.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 21:04   #244

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
LeaseOnLife...

and

Do I have this right?

You see the essential problem here. Properly quilting small scale, large area, multi-zoom tilesets is a difficult and expensive proposition. And we run on platforms of a very wide performance range, so getting the defaults optimized is not trivial, but is critical to functionality.

Thanks
Dave

Yes, that would get me and hopefully others back to what worked before. I am guilty in having made other cruisers addicted to mbtiles... And an adjustable size-limit is helpful for the PI3/4 folks for sure.

And to keep beating that dead horse together with Terry, Jon and others... I would like to get rid of red Xs and make mbtiles behave more like the other charts, while fully understanding, internally the mbtiles are overlays. But does the user really need to feel the difference?

Salud

Dirk
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 21:43   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
LeaseOnLife...
and

Do I have this right?

Thanks
Dave
Yes, I would like to see the functionality of the old behavior that was back in 4.99 when mbtiles behaved the same as KAP.
1. The chart sheet became visible at zoom relative to the chart scale
2. Enable Chart Quilting
3. For mbtiles, the ChartZoom / Scale Weighting (Raster) feature worked. Allows you to configure the display limit of mbtiles charts.
4. Work in a group as a separate type of raster charts (mbtiles) without overlays.

Dave, your release video shows the work of mbtiles since many are used to seeing this! https://www.facebook.com/OpenCPN/vid...6337131361021/
I believe that the behavior of mbtiles as an overlay should be as an option, which can also be improved.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 21:59   #246
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karanga View Post
I'm pretty sure that navigating by SASPlanet requires internet and online in order to get the data. Many people sail further from the coast than internet reaches...

And I'm not whinging. I'm just identifying a feature that is somehow not working in a beta version - exactly what a beta version is for.

Tim
I have never sailed with Internet nor have the people I refer to.

You can plot routes, view tracks, save way points etc in SASplanet.

I nearly always sail off piste, probably further off piste than you and I'm more than happy with my own satellite photos from landsat etc. Processed to show the colour bands of the hazards of interest in the region.

I would rather MBtiles was dropped from OCPN and development and testing put into the plotter aspects. Those that want can make KAP charts.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 23:29   #247

OpenCPN 5.1.428+c07150b, Win8.1. Already reported but the program icon is also missing here.

Mike
Attached Images

Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 00:25   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
OpenCPN 5.1.428+c07150b, Win8.1. Already reported but the program icon is also missing here.
Mike
I confirm on Win10
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:42   #249

Boat: Dufour 35

There are a couple of new small features in the beta that's worth looking at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200509_101344.png
Views:	57
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	214676

Second item above. "Draw AIS realtime prediction".
With this item activated O uses the targets last known speed an course to predict the current position. The predicted position is a grayed out target item.
See picture below.

Name:   real_time_prediction_1.png
Views: 155
Size:  6.9 KB

This works well in simple cases, but it's all just a prediction, not taking course or speed changes into account.
For example the ferry below never allided with the breakwater in real life.

Name:	real_time_prediction_2.png
Views:	45
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	214677

Further down in the AIS menu under "Rollover" is another change. "Enable route/AIS info block". Which means that you now can turn these features off.
Probably most useful on small screens, or in a situation with many AIS targets or routes in a small area.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:08   #250

OpenCPN 5.1.428+c07150b, Win 8.1.

Trying to ready plugins for OpenCPN 5.1/5.2. Made the Windows package in the 'normal' way. Installed the package. Installation is ok. Find the '.dll' and 'data' folders in 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN 5.1.428+c07150b\plugins'. Uninstaller '.exe' is present in the root folder.

There is no sign of the plugin in 'Options'. Do I need to compile the plugin against an 'opencpn.lib' from OpenCPN 5.1?

Plugin being worked on was ShipDriver. On MacOS the pkg built with Xcode installed fine and the plugin worked. Ideas please on how to install legacy plugins!

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:59   #251
Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
There are a couple of new small features in the beta that's worth looking at.

Second item above. "Draw AIS realtime prediction".
With this item activated O uses the targets last known speed an course to predict the current position. The predicted position is a grayed out target item.
Working OK for me on W10. It's pretty good with class A targets that update frequently. On the attached screen clip that is about as far as the projected target got from the Tokatu at 8.5 knots.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Annotation 2020-05-09 225217.png
Views:	56
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	214680  
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:07   #252

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
T
Further down in the AIS menu under "Rollover" is another change. "Enable route/AIS info block". Which means that you now can turn these features off.
Probably most useful on small screens, or in a situation with many AIS targets or routes in a small area.
Thomas

Yes good but this also enable the route and track rollover.
And as disable is the default at start, when opening a new install, I asked myself for a moment why my route/track rollovers don't work any more? ... before finding the answer in the AIS section.
I understand it do not worth two different parameters but doesn't it could be disturbing for users not using AIS?

JP
Ptizef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:10   #253

[QUOTE=Rasbats;3135515]OpenCPN 5.1.428+c07150b, Win8.1. Already reported but the program icon is also missing here.

I already reported that sometimes ago and nobody paid attention to it.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:05   #254

I have found that a version 5.1.508.1-0 is being build, can someone tell me how to download it?
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:22   #255
Marine Service Provider

Mike...
Legacy plugins install in the normal way, as you have found with MacOS. If so installed, they should appear in the plugin list panel as "un-managed" plugins.

Check the logfile, and see what it says about your plugin.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn