Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2023, 02:04   #166

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.7.1 Beta Test #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Just tested the beta Debian Bookworm 64bits on my RPI4. After some fiddling almost all things work.

The Flatpak version of OpenCPN was fast working with the plugins, like Oesenc plugin worked "out of the box".

There was only a problem to get the charts going. Clicking on the add charts then the screen greyed and locked up.

Now I have solved this problem by adding the required Oesenc chart in the O config file.

And then the Oesenc chart is running.

There seems to be something wrong with charts setting.

Regards,

Bram

After the latest Bookworm updates it now works very well with charts changing option..

After some fiddling to install sudo for the user. Now the SignalK-server can be installed and is also running with SK input in OpenCPN. Ais comes from an other systeem also with SK input in OpenCPN.

So many new developments !

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 14:43   #167

Only a small problem with the Flatpak version. In Bookworm I have to start OpenCPN 3 times to get the Charts and NMEA183 data via SK running. Two SK connections. 1 from the SK server on the system and number 2 from another system met de AIS data. RPI4 wiith 2 GB running from a fast USB flash drive 3.1.
Old 22-03-2023, 15:17   #168

Hi!
It seems that no-one has reported this issue yet,
User interface scale factor slider is not working correctly. In the beta #4 vector chart objects do change size, but users waypoints don't. They used to shrink/expand as well in previous versions.

----
Also as a side note - not a bug, just a functionality suggestion - I was wondering if it'd be possible to bring back the ability to dock a toolbar and/or change it's icons like it used to be in old versions?
Jake.Werecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 19:54   #169
Marine Service Provider

Jake...
re:
"In the beta #4 vector chart objects do change size, but users waypoints don't."

Waypoint sizin is included in the "Chart Object scale factor" slider.
"User Interface scale factor" applies only to things like toolbars, menus, etc.

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 00:39   #170

Sorry, my bad, I meant "Chart Object scale factor".

That slider changes vector chart items, but not waypoints. See behaviour in attachments:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_26.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	432.4 KB
ID:	273097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_27.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	273098  

Old 23-03-2023, 02:10   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
Only a small problem with the Flatpak version. In Bookworm I have to start OpenCPN 3 times to get the Charts and NMEA183 data via SK running. Two SK connections. 1 from the SK server on the system and number 2 from another system met de AIS data. RPI4 wiith 2 GB running from a fast USB flash drive 3.1.

Saving the settings during the running goes too fast. After closing the system and starting the system again then the settings are well saved and O starts the first time.
Old 23-03-2023, 10:44   #172

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Windows 11 is OK.
This may be redundant--I tried to search for Windows 11 in this thread to see if there are any reports good or bad, but got too many hits, so I suspect it was just returning any posts with "Windows" in it.
Just wanted to report that I have a brand new computer with Windows 11 and have installed the latest beta and confirmed no issues so far.
My BU353-S4 GPS plugged in and worked with no drivers needed. Everything works as expected. No on board at the moment, so not actually navigating with it, but so far am pleased.
If anyone needs/wants any specific indows 11 (or 10) testing, feel free to message me. We have been traveling in the USA, so not testing a lot, but will be back on board in a week.
Sherry
s/v Soggy Paws in Malaysia
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 17:29   #173

In the last version 5.7.1+336.7ff014e the plugins of Mike otidalplan and otcurrent could not be install, except that after restarting twice they were there. Others plugins did the same.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 05:04   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
Windows 11 is OK.
This may be redundant--I tried to search for Windows 11 in this thread to see if there are any reports good or bad, but got too many hits, so I suspect it was just returning any posts with "Windows" in it.
Just wanted to report that I have a brand new computer with Windows 11 and have installed the latest beta and confirmed no issues so far.
I'm testing it on Win11 as well.
Old 26-03-2023, 19:50   #175

Hakan
A controversial decision to stick everything in the Menu! The menu is already full.
Why don't you look at Chart Panel Options?, it even has an AIS section!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-03-27 102357.png
Views:	39
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	273338  
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2023, 23:55   #176

Boat: Najad 34

Baical..
The goal was to get a quick access using the mouse. Not all has a keyboard in cockpit.
Since the show/hide CPA alarm setting is global, i.e. both canvases, the "hamburger" menu is not suitable.

In the right click menu we already have a mix of global and local settings. So even if the inconsistency is slightly increased put it together with the global "AIS target list" did make sense.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 00:43   #177

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Baical..
The goal was to get a quick access using the mouse. Not all has a keyboard in cockpit.
Since the show/hide CPA alarm setting is global, i.e. both canvases, the "hamburger" menu is not suitable.

In the right click menu we already have a mix of global and local settings. So even if the inconsistency is slightly increased put it together with the global "AIS target list" did make sense.

On the one hand, the main menu is too rich now.

On the other hand, the hamburger menu contains the "Common" item which is not used on most of the earth. There should be a way to put a single text for the 3 possibilities "North up", "Cog up" and "Bow up" by alternating them by a succession of 3 clicks.

This would free up space in the "Hamburger".
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 01:28   #178

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Concerning the grib files of the RTOFS model, it seems that they do not contain the wind data.

This can be understood by looking at the first screenshot below.

And yet, if we look at the second screenshot, we see that the wind is also processed by Grib.

Could the "Wind" box appear in the Grib window?

And maybe other data if there are others.

(However, I used OpenCPN version 5.7.1+4bf87e2 to do this test).

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2023-03-27 10_19_40-Fichier _ RTOFS20230326110701864.grb ( dim. 26-mars-2023 00_00  UTC ).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	273343   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-03-27 10_23_41-.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	273344  

Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 01:30   #179

Boat: Najad 34

What's used and not by each user does of course vary a lot.

OCPN is the best navigational tool available for pleasure crafts. (Personal mind) It's developed after many years of different views and requirement. That implies a lot of settings more or less obvious for each user. A complex tool would also mean a complex menu. And what's seen as complex and "to rich" does also vary between each user.

The "what's up" example is a such. For the experienced user a succession of 3 clicks would be good since there's is no doubts about the (hidden) alternatives. For a new user the possible alternatives are good to see to make a decision.
Everything can of course be better. But what's seen as better is a long process of compromises for a community like this. And we all have to convince the main developer.

To rework the easy reachable menus like canvas and hamburger is not a quick fix. Should we build a tool where each user can populate the canvas menu from all available settings? Rather handy for the experienced user. Then we "only" need to agree about defaults.

I think it's to late for O version 5.8 but there's always a next version. Hopefully?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 01:30   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Baical..

now everything is clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
On the one hand, the main menu is too rich now.

On the other hand, the hamburger menu contains the "Common" item which is not used on most of the earth. There should be a way to put a single text for the 3 possibilities "North up", "Cog up" and "Bow up" by alternating them by a succession of 3 clicks.

This would free up space in the "Hamburger".
you can add a drop down list
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn