Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2023, 14:23   #61

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: OpenCPN Version 5.8.2 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by seek_solice View Post
This thing is COMPLETELY unstable on multiple hardware in my experience. Crashes on multiple computers. Freezes up on others, and very slow.
There do not seem to be many people sharing the same experience as you. I sure don't on any of my many systems. So if you want to get some help, please tell us something about your systems and attach some logs, please.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 01:20   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokinjoe View Post
Thanks for fixing, I used the same solution that ZigZag mentioned, all seems to be working now.
Although the OCPN now works I am struggling to update the plugins. I have 4 plugins visible, when I try to update the master catalogue it just tells me that the master catalogue is up to date. I still can only see 4 plugins.

What am I doing wrong?

RPi 4
Sokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 07:05   #63
Marine Service Provider

Sokinhoe....
Sorry for the re-hash, but will you post your logfile, please?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2023, 08:55   #64

Your version 5.9.0-0+541...... is failing to download.
Have a good day.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 00:47   #65

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Hello All,

Here are 4 opinions from French users on Windows 7:

- I have just installed 5.8.2 on windows7 having uninstalled the previous version as indicated but this one opens up to the first window and closes immediately. I perceived behind this first window another window which probably tries to load files but the automatic closing of the software prevents me from reading its contents. Moreover in opencpn date program I can't find an .ini file

- I have exactly the same problem under windows7.

- Hello everyone, as explained above I have the same problem but under W10, I tried the compatibility mode in w7 and 8 nothing to do. Indeed the .log and .ini are missing in programdata.

- For me, under windows 10 with the house pc, the installation went without a problem, only under windows 7 with the boat's laptop is there a problem.

They are not the only ones. One of them uploaded a screenshot just before the installation started, which then failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAAA_64624449040dbf8cfea9fd5a.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	275452  
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 01:22   #66

Hi

Today I updated the polar plugin and once I open it and upload my .pol file if I close the plugin and try to open it again OpenCPN crashes.

On Debian 11 64 bits for raspberry (openplotter last version)

Regards
hrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 01:43   #67

Hi everyone, forum newbie here.
I had 5.6 version on Windows 10 and after update rtlsdr_pi plugin is no longer in plugin list and it is not available even after reinstall rtlsdr_pi-1.3.1-ov50-win32 BETA Pre-release
In log file I see some errors

Quote:
3:07:10 PM: PlugInManager: Loading PlugIn: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\rtlsdr_pi.dll
3:07:10 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_fm -h' failed (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
3:07:10 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\soft_fm -h' failed (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
3:07:10 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aisdecoder -h' failed (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
3:07:10 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\ais_rx -h' failed (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
3:07:10 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\rtl_adsb -h' failed (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
3:07:10 PM: Error: Execution of command 'C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenCPN\plugins\rtlsdr_pi\bin\aplay -h' failed (error 2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
I know that plugin is bit outdated but it was working fine with versions 5.0-5.6
I managed to install it on several vessels in previous months even created YouTube video

If someone is using this plugin and found a way how to use it in new ver. please let me know.
Thanks in advance
mickey_YT9TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 02:16   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
Hello All,

Here are 4 opinions from French users on Windows 7:

- I have just installed 5.8.2 on windows7 having uninstalled the previous version as indicated but this one opens up to the first window and closes immediately. I perceived behind this first window another window which probably tries to load files but the automatic closing of the software prevents me from reading its contents. Moreover in opencpn date program I can't find an .ini file

- I have exactly the same problem under windows7.

- Hello everyone, as explained above I have the same problem but under W10, I tried the compatibility mode in w7 and 8 nothing to do. Indeed the .log and .ini are missing in programdata.

- For me, under windows 10 with the house pc, the installation went without a problem, only under windows 7 with the boat's laptop is there a problem.

They are not the only ones. One of them uploaded a screenshot just before the installation started, which then failed.
As always: We need to have a look at the logfile.
Old 17-05-2023, 04:25   #69

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
As always: We need to have a look at the logfile.
All those who come to say that they cannot install O582 under W7, say that the opencpn.ini and the opencpn.log are not created.

It is therefore impossible to provide any. Some have made the installation attempt several times.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 04:41   #70

A pretty probable cause of the issue they have is https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/w...rated-graphics

If their opencpn.ini is not created yet, they need to create it manually and paste this content to it:

Code:
[Settings]
OpenGL=0
DisableOpenGL=1
Old 17-05-2023, 10:02   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Sokinhoe....
Sorry for the re-hash, but will you post your logfile, please?

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave

No worries - here is the log file saved as PDF. Any help will be gratefully received

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn1.log.pdf (609.1 KB, 23 views)
Old 17-05-2023, 20:42   #72

Boat: St. Francis 44 Mk II (Catamaran)
Send a message via Skype™ to SoggyPaws

Just FYI, I tried to upgrade a Windows XP system with 4.2 to 5.8.2 (I know, I know, but the guy wanted the new version). He said "Help me, I am leaving tomorrow...".

The OpenCPN User Manual on the website says it supports XP. And there is no 32 bit vs 64 bit alternative in the download window. So I proceeded to try.

Quote:
OpenCPN 5.8.2 for Windows® XP SP3/Vista/7/8/8.1/10/11
I backed up carefully (thankfully) the ProgramData and Program File folder. It took awhile because there is no ProgramData folder in XP (it was in Users\Application Data). Then I installed 5.8.2 over his 4.2.

On startup, I got an error that Windows didn't think it was a viable program (sorry sorry, under pressure and no time to document this issue carefully, didn't even screen shot the exact error, and no XP computer left aboard Soggy Paws these days). By this time I realized he probably didn't have an OpenGL compatible display in his 10 year old Dell, and so there was not much point in the upgrade. If I'd had my big hard drive I would have tried the last version of 4.x that I still had, but only had recent stuff. I used to be an XP expert, but I was really struggling with this as it is so different than W10. So I just opted to delete what I had installed and put back the folders I had backed up. Thankfully everything worked. And thankfully I hadn't deleted the GBs of KAP charts that are sort of obsoleted by the GBs of mbtiles for the same areas. My latest 5.6.x era track and waypoint files placed in his 4.2 layers folder worked fine.

Just letting you know that maybe someone should test XP once with 5.8.2 and remove the XP reference in the supported versions, if it really doesn't work. Or add a note (or maybe even a link to last 4.x that did work) as to what to do to make it work somewhere near the supported versions list. (ie what I see Nohal posted a few posts back).

Sherry
SoggyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2023, 23:49   #73

Boat: Lotus 10.6

My ENCs no longer load, infact OpenCPN crashes and will only load with the S63 plugin disabled.
tongmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 00:31   #74
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Please some more information like
- the system you are on?
- S63 version installed (did you try perhaps to de-install/re-install)?
- crash report?
- what does the OCPN log file say?

Here the NZ S-63 do run perfectly.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 03:56   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyPaws View Post
Just FYI, I tried to upgrade a Windows XP system with 4.2 to 5.8.2 (I know, I know, but the guy wanted the new version). He said "Help me, I am leaving tomorrow...".

The OpenCPN User Manual on the website says it supports XP. And there is no 32 bit vs 64 bit alternative in the download window. So I proceeded to try.

I backed up carefully (thankfully) the ProgramData and Program File folder. It took awhile because there is no ProgramData folder in XP (it was in Users\Application Data). Then I installed 5.8.2 over his 4.2.

On startup, I got an error that Windows didn't think it was a viable program (sorry sorry, under pressure and no time to document this issue carefully, didn't even screen shot the exact error, and no XP computer left aboard Soggy Paws these days). By this time I realized he probably didn't have an OpenGL compatible display in his 10 year old Dell, and so there was not much point in the upgrade. If I'd had my big hard drive I would have tried the last version of 4.x that I still had, but only had recent stuff. I used to be an XP expert, but I was really struggling with this as it is so different than W10. So I just opted to delete what I had installed and put back the folders I had backed up. Thankfully everything worked. And thankfully I hadn't deleted the GBs of KAP charts that are sort of obsoleted by the GBs of mbtiles for the same areas. My latest 5.6.x era track and waypoint files placed in his 4.2 layers folder worked fine.

Just letting you know that maybe someone should test XP once with 5.8.2 and remove the XP reference in the supported versions, if it really doesn't work. Or add a note (or maybe even a link to last 4.x that did work) as to what to do to make it work somewhere near the supported versions list. (ie what I see Nohal posted a few posts back).

Sherry
Thanks for taking the time to come back. Mine is a Raspberry Pi 4 system.

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn