Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2019, 14:38   #136

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Beta Starts

I was excited to try the beta version 5, but when I clicked on the link for Mac, I got 404 Not Found. Is there a correction to the Mac download link available?

Thanks
CaptBob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 14:39   #137

I had an issue with the link for the Mac version, when I clicked on it, I got a 404 Not Found page.
Old 15-02-2019, 15:23   #138

Ignore the last 2 posts, I figured it out, and then read the next post with the correct link
Old 15-02-2019, 17:07   #139
Marine Service Provider

fgd3...

I realize this might be problematic, but...

We really would like to see a fresh bare-metal install on your Toshiba Satellite /Windows 7 machine, and to see the OCPN logfile on the first run.

I suspect trouble with OpenGL, but not sure. Are you ultimately using OpenGL on O5 Beta on this machine? How is the relative performance?

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 20:10   #140

Boat: Gemini 3200

I reverted my Compaq to Windows Vista and had the same experience. 4.99 installed but wouldn't run. I installed 4.8.8 which ran, although it took a long time to set up the charts. After it ran I was able to install 4.99 as an upgrade and run it with no problem.

I'll remove OpenCPN from the Toshiba and go through the installation process again to see if I can recreate the problem and send you the log files. Is there anything special I need to do to be sure OpenCPN is fully removed so I get a new install?

I don't remember making a selection with regard to OpenGL. It is not selected on the Compaq (Windows Vista) but is selected on the Toshiba (Windows 7). That makes me think the trouble isn't with OpenGL.

Fabbian
fgd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 20:33   #141
Marine Service Provider

Fabbian...

To fully remove OpenCPN, make sure the "Program Data\OpenCPN directory is clear". That is all that is necessary.

OpenGL:
O499/O5 Beta tries to detect a modern version of OpenGL on initial installation, and then enables it if available. However, if the machine is just too old, or has some identified quirks that make it not good for OCPN (e.g. old Intel drivers), then OpenGL is disabled for first start..

So we want to know what O discovers about your Toshiba on first install.

Thanks
Dave
Old 15-02-2019, 21:26   #142

OK. I used the Control Panel uninstall to remove O5 beta from the Toshiba. Then I reinstalled it. The box to run OpenCPN was checked. I checked the box to show the install log as well. The install log appeared right away. The OpenCPN window appeared but remained empty. Just the title bar and outline showed. After I saved the install log and closed it the OpenCPN window added "Not responding" to the title bar.

I left it like that while I put the Compaq back on the boat. That took longer than I expected because I had to install drivers for the BU-353 GPS and dAISy AIS receiver. By the time I returned OpenCPN had painted the background chart and located the boat off the coast of Africa. I was able to zoom out, relocate to my home waters, and zoom in to see my usual chart display.

OpenGL is selected. It would have been much faster to install 4.8.8, then upgrade to O5 beta. I don't know if the log files will show you anything, since the process eventually completed, but I've attached them for you.

Hope that's some help. Let me know if there's something else you'd like me to try.

Fabbian
Attached Files
File Type: doc install.log.doc (199.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (10.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.pdf (891.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 16-02-2019, 00:53   #143

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Fresh Install on Acer Aspire V5

Completely removed all traces of old installation. Did successful install on Acer Aspire V5. System information on image.

Runs OpenGL OK.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Acer AspireV5 System Info.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	186020  
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 05:21   #144

Boat: Oyster 49

I thought the link was to install version beta 5.0 For windows the installer wants to install 4.99. Is this correct?

TudorSailor
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 05:23   #145

Boat: Phantom 19

Yes, it is correct.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 06:03   #146

Boat: Oceanic 36

Hi,
Again, when I try to use mbtile file the opencpn 5.0 does not recognize the file.
My computer is a Lenovo with Windows 10, 64 bits, in brasilian portuguese.
One of the mbtile file is the file that the Pinguino released.
Attached Files
File Type: doc opencpn.log.doc (48.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: doc opencpn.ini.doc (73.5 KB, 28 views)
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 06:08   #147

Added #include <wx/dcmemory.h> to 'ocpn_plugin.h' in order to compile 'survey_pi'.

This additional include was needed for functions using 'RenderOverlay(wxMemoryDC....'.
Request this addition is made to ocpn_plugin.h (or elsewhere?).

FlySpray FS#2475 refers.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbats View Post
Trying to compile 'survey_pi'.

Using "virtual bool RenderOverlay(wxMemoryDC *pmdc, PlugIn_ViewPort *vp)" from 'ocpn_plugin.h'.

Other errors but one that comes up:

Code:
error C2061: syntax error: identifier 'wxMemoryDC'
Notice that Grib_pi uses 'RenderOverlay(wxDC'

Does 'ocpn_plugin.h' have an error with using 'RenderOverlay(wxMemoryDC'?

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 07:23   #148
Marine Service Provider

Fabbian...

It is clear what causes the slow initial startup on your Toshiba.
A previous installation of OpenCPN was not completely removed from your machine. There was a leftover Registry entry defining your initial chart directories. This registry entry was created long ago by some previous run of the OCPN installer, I think. Don't know yet why it was not removed by the un-installer....

Anyway, the new OCPN5 installed all those charts, automatically. Took about 5 minutes on this machine, with no UI indication that this was happening. Then all was well.

Perhaps we need some message and confirmation that this is what you want to do, if this rare situation is encountered. It would not happen for a truly first-time install.

Thanks for the report
Dave
Old 16-02-2019, 09:02   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Fabbian...

It is clear what causes the slow initial startup on your Toshiba.
A previous installation of OpenCPN was not completely removed from your machine.
Dave

Thanks, Dave. I think there's a bit more to it than that. The first installation on the Toshiba and the first installation on the Compaq came following a complete reinstallation of Windows which included reformatting the hard drive.

Before I installed OpenCPN, however, I did copy my chart directory to the hard drive. And I pointed to that directory during the installation (that's a new feature, isn't it?) When I tried to run O5 beta (on both machines) following the installation I got the "not responding" message. After several minutes I lost patience and installed 4.8.8 instead. It ran following the installation with the usual notices about preparing charts. Once it was done I was able to upgrade to O5 beta and run it with no problems.

It may be that either program takes the same amount of time to ingest a big chart directory and build the chart database, but the O5 beta seems to do it without notifying the user what is going on.

Fabbian
Old 16-02-2019, 09:07   #150

When the installer asks for the chart directory does it add the response to the Registry? Nothing in the Registry could have been older than two days ago, since that's when I reformatted the hard drive, but entries could appear to have been older as the recovery disks copied entries from when the factory built the disks. That wouldn't explain an entry for the chart directory, though, as it wasn't on the recovery disks.

Fabbian

Tags
enc, opencpn