Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2019, 07:34   #256
Marine Service Provider

Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Beta Starts

All...

Lookahead mode does not function without active GPS input available.
Think about it....

Thanks
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 10:54   #257

Boat: 10.50 mètres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
All...
Lookahead mode does not function without active GPS input available.
Think about it....

Dave

It is also possible to test it using the Plugin VDR.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 11:02   #258

New mbtile piano colors are misleading, too light, add a little bit of color blindness and you can't make the difference between mbtiles and a selected raster.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 12:51   #259

Boat: First 18

Does the "overzoom" indicator (for mbtiles charts) take into account the hidpi screens ? I feel the indicator comes in too early.
stelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 13:34   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
New mbtile piano colors are misleading, too light, add a little bit of color blindness and you can't make the difference between mbtiles and a selected raster.

I do not know what did-g explains. Maybe it has nothing to do with the test I just did a test.

The attached screenshot shows, left canvas raster of VMH and right canvas of MBtiles found on the web.

Looking at the attached screenshot, on my Lenovo PC, W10, left canvas, it is difficult to recognize the blue raster in the bar chart at the bottom of the screen.

Gilletarom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-02-24_OpenCPN 4.99.1408+1490ce7-Raster_versus_MBtiles.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	186584  
Old 24-02-2019, 15:33   #261

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

When I have my Z16 chart showing and zoomed out I see the memory usage by OCPN is 384MB.. that might be why it seems to hang up?

Seems to be related to the Chart/Zoom Scale Weighting - I had it all the way up at 5 for some other testing.. putting it back to 0 seems ok now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
geoff, shouldn't be a problem, I have mbtiles up to 4.5GB and it shows and quilts nicely on a laptop with

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz
  • 16GB ram
  • ubuntu 18.10
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 05:09   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
In Win10 I don't see this. I can toggle the radio button also when the menu is open.
Yes, you can manually toggle the radio button. But if you click the compass instead, the radio button does not change until you close the menu and reopen it. Note the discrepancy here (compass arrow should be red to indicate course up):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
In Win10 both Autofollow modes works on left and right canvas. You know you have to toggle "Look ahead mode", the blue or green icon, in the canvas menu?
Håkan
Yes, I know that. But what you state is not entirely accurate. Checking "Look ahead mode" in the canvas menu activates the 4.8 type of look ahead (blue dot), and suppresses the availability of the new type. Note also that "Look ahead mode" is still selected in the menu even if it is deactivated by clicking on the boat:

Similarly, if "Look ahead mode" is deselected, clicking on the boat icon brings up the new type of look ahead, even though it's deselcted:

I think that the proper way to handle this feature is to change the check box to two linked radio buttons. One says "Static Look Ahead" (which is the 4.8 type) and the other is "Dynamic Look Ahead" (which is the new, user-adjustable type). With radio buttons, one (and only one) is always selected. The on/off feature for Look Ahead will be controlled exclusively by clicking/tapping on the boat icon. You could also add a checkbox for on/off of the feature, but that would be redundant, so it may not be necessary.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Look Ahead Checked.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	186616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Look Ahead Unchecked.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	186617  

Attached Images

Old 25-02-2019, 05:13   #263

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

While working with the mbtiles files I have created I realized that what I thought was interesting (noted below) is in fact a problem - you don't know when using a mbtiles file what zoom level you are at and if there are others below - can I zoom in more or not?

Given this I have a feature request: a notification of the zoom level you are at and what the maximum levels are in the currently displayed mbtiles set.

For example, a typical mbtiles file I create from SAS has Z12,Z14,Z16,Z18 When viewing at Z16 it's not clear if this is the last one or not, since Z17 is missing you need to go through at one level of "overzoom".

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
Installed dbcat's latest:
https://ci.appveyor.com/project/bdbc...uild/artifacts
opencpn_4.99.1408+731e3e8_setup.exe

Nice fixes for mbtiles!

The overzoom fix is correct, but interesting when you have missing zoom levels in your mbtiles. (no overzoom shown, zoom in and it's shown, zoom in again and it's gone (and the chart changes))
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 05:54   #264

Boat: Bavaria 390 Lagoon 39.8ft

There are 3 different ways of change in between the canvases. Tab key, left mouse click and right mouse click.
When I change canvas with a left mouse click, the chart get centered at exactly the position where I clicked with the mouse. IMO it would be much more nicer if the canvas stays at it's old position like it does with Tab key and right mouse click. I personally prefer using the mouse, which in fact is the MBP touch pad.

When I change canvas with right mouse click, the blue bar changes but it also opens the right click contextual menu at the same time.
MichelleWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 07:23   #265

Boat: Najad 34

@RhythmDoctor...

Course or North up:
Sorry, I misunderstood. The radio button in the menu is not following the upper icon if the menu is open. That I can confirm here as well. It may need a Flyspray note?

Autofollow and look ahead mode:
Autofollow can be switched on and off by a click on the boat symbol or for example the shortcut F2.
Autofollow can be used in two way, look ahead or normal mode. This is set by the option, "Look Ahead Mode", in each canvas menus. This option is set until toggled next time and is not dependent on if autofollow is switched on or off.

The "Normal", green icon, autofollow is now dynamic so that the boat symbol can be placed where you want on the screen. That screen, or canvas, location will be kept even if the zoom level is changed. If you want the boat on the screen center just click on or close to the boat symbol. If you move the screen so the boat symbol is not visible autofollow will be switched off. Next time you switch autofollow on the boat symbol will be on screen center.

The autofollow "Look Ahead Mode", blue icon, is always on a fixed screen position. When the boat speed is less than, I think 3 knots, the boat symbol will be at the screen center. If you move the chart by the mouse pointer or the arrow keys the look ahead boat position will be released after a short time. As long as the boat symbol is visible on screen, otherwise autofollow mode is switched off also here.

In both autofollow modes you can thus now click on or move the chart and the autofollow mode will still be active. (As long as the boat symbol is visible on screen.)

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 08:14   #266

hello Dave, Hakan, All,

Some problem with the version 499.1408.1490ce7.

Please, see the screen copy.

When I try to access to "Options/Connection", impossible to add a connection. The "Add" button is not activated. The same for the "Remove connection" button.
Am I alone ?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2019-02-25-OpenCPN 4.99.1408+1490ce7.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	186626  
Old 25-02-2019, 08:30   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleWhy View Post
When I change canvas with right mouse click, the blue bar changes but it also opens the right click contextual menu at the same time.

I think this last possibility is nice. Obviously, this is not in the habits of users accustomed to O488, but it is done very quickly.

Gilletarom.
Old 25-02-2019, 08:48   #268

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
hello Dave, Hakan, All,

Please, see the screen copy.

When I try to access to "Options/Connection", impossible to add a connection. The "Add" button is not activated. The same for the "Remove connection" button.
Am I alone ?
Gilletarom

I think that you may have already pressed "Add Connection", that is why the buttons are grayed out. Your picture shows that you can scroll down.
What happens when you do just that?

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 08:50   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
hello Dave, Hakan, All,

..... ?

When I try to access to "Options/Connection", impossible to add a connection. You can create a connection by going directly below the options of the future connection and ending with "Apply "or" Ok "But in my first test, the button" Remove connection "did not activate. By doing other tests, it activated himself.

It seems to me that all this is not very normal.
Old 25-02-2019, 08:55   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Gilletarom
I think that you may have already pressed "Add Connection", that is why the buttons are grayed out. ....

Thomas
No, it was grayed when I open the "Options/Connections" at the first time.

Note for Dave: This is a new installation, in parallel with version 4.88 and another old O installation.

Tags
enc, opencpn