Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2019, 21:22   #76

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Beta Starts Toolbar

I added some plugins which put icons on the toolbar. The toolbar displayed as two icons in width.

Subsequent launching of the program and now the toolbar is once more one icon in width.

Is this correct behaviour?

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (64).png
Views:	94
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	185753   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (74).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	185754  

yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 21:28   #77

Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Beta Starts Tracking Icon

Once the tracking icon has been enabled the background becomes grey to show it is enabled. When clicked to disable tracking the grey background remains even though it has been disabled.

On restart of the program it is normal

Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (75).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	185755  
Old 11-02-2019, 22:13   #78

Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Beta Starts Grib Files

If in the split screen mode the display does not show wind barbs but does give conditions at the cursor. Single screen is OK.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot (76).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	185756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (77).jpg
Views:	191
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	185757  

Old 11-02-2019, 22:47   #79

Boat: Najad 34
Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Beta Starts

Terry..
Girib graphics like wind arrows are shown on the right canvas only. So I assume on your left shot the arrows will show up if you zoom?
Håkan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	O1.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	185758  
Hakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 23:41   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Terry..
Girib graphics like wind arrows are shown on the right canvas only. So I assume on your left shot the arrows will show up if you zoom?
Håkan

Got it. But that defeats my intended use of the split screen, which was to have the large scale chart on the left and the small scale chart on the right. I will just reverse what I had intended.

Many thanks for that!

Terry
Old 12-02-2019, 05:36   #81

This is a little "off topic" but does have some relevance.

Can someone point me in the direction of a page/website that explains how mbtiles are created using (say) SAS planet.

In the past, I have georeferenced thousands (well at lease more than 1000) of images and turned them into KAP files. My process uses the old Memory Map software to do the georeferencing - that outputs to a QCT format file and I wrote a Windows command line application to convert the QCTs into KAPs. The process has been working well for me for a good few years.

So, I would like to know the concept behind mbtiles - for example, are they just like lots of KAP files that "quilt" together in Opencpn? Or is it all cleverer than that? SAS Planet seems to allow different resolutions.

I suppose, like most people on here, I am looking for some examples that would create mbtiles that would be suitable for use within Opencpn.

Thanks again for all your support.
Mike
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:37   #82

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post

Can someone point me in the direction of a page/website that explains how mbtiles are created using (say) SAS planet.

In the past, I have georeferenced thousands (well at lease more than 1000) of images and turned them into KAP files. My process uses the old Memory Map software to do the georeferencing - that outputs to a QCT format file and I wrote a Windows command line application to convert the QCTs into KAPs. The process has been working well for me for a good few years.

So, I would like to know the concept behind mbtiles - for example, are they just like lots of KAP files that "quilt" together in Opencpn? Or is it all cleverer than that? SAS Planet seems to allow different resolutions.

I suppose, like most people on here, I am looking for some examples that would create mbtiles that would be suitable for use within Opencpn.

Thanks again for all your support.
Mike
I created a little explanation for our Spanish site about how to make charts with MBTiles.

You can try using it with the google translator.

https://foronavegantes.net/thread-856.html
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:39   #83

Quote:

mbtiles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	{EF0374FD-AF18-4C9E-84AA-753C6276F50A}.png.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	185769   Click image for larger version

Name:	{9CF88D96-6324-4CCB-9219-3BA2A870CEA9}.png.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	185770  

Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:52   #84

As I told you, I undertook to explain how to create our own personalized charts using Internet resources such as Google satellite maps.

First of all, download the latest version of SASPlanet.

http://www.sasgis.org/programs/sasplanet/nightly.php

SASPlanet
SASPlanet is an Internet map management tool with many features and can be a tricky thing to use if you don't know it. It only works on windows systems but you can run on Linux without major problems using wine, as is my case. It does not require any installation. Simply unzip the zip in a folder of our choice and double click on the executable Sasplanet.exe that will appear inside.

When we run it for the first time we will see this window with the global satellite map of google:

We can zoom with the wheel of the mouse and choose on which area of the world to enlarge the image. To highlight:
Light blue arrow shows the current zoom. In this case Z4.
Yellow arrow shows the zoom bar.
Red arrow points to the dropdown where we can choose the maps. You can use road maps, satellite maps and other maps of very different types Etc. Until recently you could use even the Navionics but the company has blocked access recently. For this example we will use the google satellites that provide many details of the coasts that can be useful for navigation along with the official charts.
Finally, the light green arrow points to the selection manager which is the tool we will use to create our MBTile map.

CREATING OUR MBTile
We are going to choose as zone to create the Vigo firth in northwest Spain:

As you can see I have chosen the desired zone and the zoom to which it adjusts in the screen is the 13 or Z13. That's why I'm going to choose the option to create a map using exactly the area visible on the screen. Press where the light green arrow, the selection manager and choose the option "visible area":

This dialog box will be opened to us at this moment:

We will use this table to download the tiles, the portions of image that all together make a map. To emphasize:

Red arrows mark the dropdown that we can use to choose the maps, in this case google.
Green arrows mark the different zoom levels chosen to be downloaded. WARNING we should not choose too many levels or our download can be eternal and create maps so large that they could not work. The ones I have marked are the ones I recommend after experimenting. And they are 9, 11, 13, 15 and 17 which will give us in this case a file of about 50 Mb for this area.
Now press start and this window will appear showing how to download all the image tiles that will form our chart.

Now, once already on our hard drive all the images we will proceed to build the map file. Let's go back to the selections manager --> visible area and when the download box appears on this occasion we will choose another tab called "export":

After clicking on it our picture will be this other one:

Highlights:

Red arrows allow us to choose the format to which we are going to export the maps. We must open the dropdown list and choose MBTiles 1.2 (SQLite3). It is one of the options below the list.

Dark green arrow, we must choose a location where to create the map and give it a proper name. I have called it "ria" -firth in spanish-.

Light green arrows mark the zoom levels we want to form our map. We must choose the same ones we use to download them... evidently.
After pressing "start" in a few moments we will have our map file ready to be used with OpenCpn 5 in the folder where we decided to create it. We just need to tell OpenCpn where is the folder with the file and this will show it when we zoom on the area of the Vigo firth.

If you want to try the map file created with this example for the Vigo firth, you can download it from here:

https://mega.nz/#!9AgByQzI!DmK5MH1MT...KAxJFY-ADS5NVQ

I hope it could be usefull to you.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:17   #85

Quote:
It only works on windows systems but you can run on Linux without major problems using wine, as is my case
@pinguino

could you explain howto to install SAS with wine?
Which "wine" do you use? From PPA? Setting for wine?
I have tried but without success
BlackSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:38   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSea View Post
@pinguino

could you explain howto to install SAS with wine?
Which "wine" do you use? From PPA? Setting for wine?
I have tried but without success
In this computer I use Ubuntu 18.04 and I have simply installed wine from the usual repositories. I have not used any specific ppa for it.

After installing it with sudo apt install wine I just need to double click on the SASPlanet executable and it just works.

SASPlanet doesn't need to be installed, just unzip it in a folder and you're done.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:19   #87

I think I've got my head around mbtiles and SAS Planet but I'm having problems getting the mbtiles to work in OpenCPN.

I get a chart outline for the area but I don't get anything displayed within the outline.
If I "hover over" the chart in the chart bar, I get all the metadata but nothing when I click it.

I've also downloaded all the mbtiles in the links in this thread and got the same results.
I've tried using the Windows Opencpn and the Linux Opencpn versions.
I'm running both the Windows and Linux versions in a VirtualBox - maybe that is the problem - but other charts (CM93 and KAP) are working.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:28   #88

Quote:
I think I've got my head around mbtiles and SAS Planet but I'm having problems getting the mbtiles to work in OpenCPN.

I get a chart outline for the area but I don't get anything displayed within the outline.
If I "hover over" the chart in the chart bar, I get all the metadata but nothing when I click it.

I've also downloaded all the mbtiles in the links in this thread and got the same results.
I've tried using the Windows Opencpn and the Linux Opencpn versions.
I'm running both the Windows and Linux versions in a VirtualBox - maybe that is the problem - but other charts (CM93 and KAP) are working.
Remember you need OpenGL on for MBTiles to work.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:56   #89

Boat: Moody 44

I've been desktop testing on my Windows 10 laptop and I think the new look and layout are good. Thanks for the hard work.

I've had one crash with a plugin for which I've sent a crash report.

I have a couple of observations;

1. Removal of the AIS toggle target display button from the toolbar.
This feature has moved to a checkbox in the navigation menu. My cockpit navigation station is a touchscreen device (no keyboard) so it is now difficult to operate quickly. I use this feature a lot coming into marinas and harbours where there is a lot of AIS traffic and the display is cluttered. Being able to quickly toggle at the helm was great. Can this be restored as a toolbar button; perhaps a configurable one?

2. Background colours.
With Windows, the empty portion of popups is not changed when the colour scheme is changed. That results in overly bright display at night whenever a popup is displayed. I know that the title bar is a specific issue, but it would help a lot if the background for popups was dark rather than light. If the popup window background colour is dependent on Windows, then maybe an image could be placed under all other controls on the window; the image would just be a single dark colour.

This would also be useful for the dashboard and tactics plugins.

Just to repeat a point I've made in the plugins thread; plug in icons would be better if they adopted the new toolbar look.

Once again, many thanks for the hard work.
JohnGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:30   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
Remember you need OpenGL on for MBTiles to work.
Thats it
Thanks pinguino
Working now.
Sorry everyone - I should have read back.

Tags
enc, opencpn