Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 17:55   #316

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: OpenCPN Version 5 Released

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtvalhalla View Post
Remember that shortcut keys to toggle things are:
Soundings S
Text T
Visibility V

Perhaps you've hit the S key?

Terry
Hi Terry
I must have hit the S key it is working now
Thanks
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 22:47   #317

Boat: Najad 34

Mario..
Very good you've found it. There are as you've noticed several opportunities.

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 14:49   #318

I can no longer find the setting (in opencpn5) to persist AIS traces for X minutes before removal from the screen.

As I mainly use AIS as a VHF communications propagation detection tool this was a very useful capability.

Is it gone for good ? or have I yet to find it again please ?

MTIA

BB
bigbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 15:25   #319

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
I can no longer find the setting (in opencpn5) to persist AIS traces for X minutes before removal from the screen.

As I mainly use AIS as a VHF communications propagation detection tool this was a very useful capability.

Is it gone for good ? or have I yet to find it again please ?

MTIA

BB
Options (gear button)->Ships->AIS Targets

Look for “Remove lost targets after (min)”
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 15:58   #320

bigbloke,

I think you want to set "Show Target Tracks" in the AIS Targets tab that was mentioned by transmitterdan. The AIS Targets tab is shown here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShowTargetTracks.png
Views:	103
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	196573

Paul
.Paul. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 13:14   #321
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hi,
After running fine since release I started getting the message “Sorry the existing instance may be too busy too respond. Please close any open dialogs and retry.” OpenCPN quits when I close the dialog box and I can repeat the process with the same result, so I can no longer run OpenCPN.
Details:
Orange Pi plus2
Debian Stretch, Kernel 4.19.57
OpenCPN 5.0.0

I’ve tried deleting the conf file, the navobj file and the XML file in the configs directory to reset things, but I still get the same results.
The load average is under 1 and unchanged fro when it was working.

Any thoughts on what the message means and what to do about it?

Cheers, Eric
ejs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 15:51   #322

I have opencpn running on an Android tablet which does not have GPS. I use the GPS Share App and mock location to import GPS data from an Android phone which does have a GPS. The Android App GPS Test correctly picks up GPS data sent from the phone to the tablet via GPS Share / mock location but opencpn does not. Is there any way around this?
Bluechip27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 00:59   #323
Marine Service Provider

Awesome job with OpenCPN version 5.

The mbtiles support completely changes the appearance and function for seamless satellite photography and access to worldwide Navionics charts via SAS Planet.

I am presently putting together a large chart and satellite image database for SE Asia. For wide area views these are based on Nokida/Yandex/Google Earth/ESRI satellite images coupled with marine chart views of the same area. For detailed views I am using high resolution satellite imagery and highly detailed hand drawn charts which are georeferenced.

As an example, see the attached chart of Cinque Island in the Andaman Islands:
cinque-chart.kml - georeferencing information
cinque-chart.jpg - raster chart image
Instructions: Download both of these files into the same directory and double click on the .kml file which will open the chart in Google Earth

Feedback would be helpful. I presently have about 70-80 of these detailed charts but am gradually working on several hundred.

Once these are finished I will put them online.

Various support requests and ideas.

1. Cruisersforum Can we change the valid file extensions to include .kap and would it be possible to increase the upload file limits.

2. OpenCPN TeamThe new waypoint features lend themselves (reasonably) to producing an interactive cruising guide for areas that are accessed via OpenCPN. This would be an awesome tool but to make this work in a slick and professional manner the following issues need to be resolved. This may mean future enchancement or there may be other ways of doing these already....

File Structure
At the moment a waypoint can be associated with 1 or more links. These links can be either a URL (on the internet) or a file (on the local computer). The URL structure will obviously work anywhere you have an internet connection - but yachts have bad habits of going outside of areas that have internet access.

Ideally, for something like a cruising guide (or for locations and contact details of emergency services/ restaurant guides.... the applications are almost endless) you would want to be able to download a set of waypoints that can be shown on an OpenCPN layer while you are offline. Along with these waypoints you would also want to download the linked files containing photos, information, videos etc. The problem here is that the file:// resource locator is not portable between computers. My links associated with each waypoint would only work on another computer with an identical file structure - which is not ideal.

My suggestion here is to add a third type of resource locator - lets call it [OpenCPN]. This then allows you to specify files relative to a user definable base directory into which you can put "points of interest", cruising guides etc.
This would then make the waypoints and links portable between computers. It may be possible to work round this for a specific operating system - so for example for Windows users all of these portable waypoints and linked files could be put in C:\Program Data\OpenCPN but these will then not work on Linux or OSX - which is clumsy.

User Definable Waypoint Interaction
Finally, also on the cruising guide theme - but again with many more generic applications, it would be great to have user definable actions associated with a waypoint. As an idea:
Actions: mouseover, click, double click, [right click - probably needs to be reserved for properties so you don't lock yourself out of a waypoint]
Options: show waypoint name, open link, popup window etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cinque-chart.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	197113  
Attached Files
File Type: kml cinque-chart.kml (370 Bytes, 30 views)
yacht.asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:16   #324

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

yacht.asia,

Think you forgot to upload the .jpg file.

You may want to consider using Sat2Chart, it has a feature to create charts from multiple maps in one run from SasPlanet.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:04   #325

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

yacht.asia,
You've got a lot of enthusiasm and ideas in your post. They need to be distilled into more complete and thoughtful requests that are illustrated (or specifically described) so that they can be understood by everyone. Then they need to be reviewed on the forum and if they have merit they should be added to tracker and voted for.

So my suggestion is to learn more about the capabilities available and really whittle down your requests to the bare minimum, present them here, and see how others respond. If the response is positive, then post them on Tracker (one feature request per item) and vote for it.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:58   #326

Boat: Valiant 42

I haven’t tried this but can you not create a link that begins with “file” instead of “http”. Will that not work for locally stored html data?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:32   #327

Hi all new I am new here, not needed help before but upgraded to version 5 on my windows tablet ( had to reinstall version 4.4.0) the problem is version 5 will not reconise my AIS transponder which also give GPS signal as well.
work fine on 4.4.0 instaled using imported settngs.
The AIS is an AMEC ais class b CAMINO-108, when instaled on 4.4.0 Baude had to be set to 115200. Any sugestions please.
Cheers.
marex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:21   #328

Boat: Najad 34

marex..
Did you try baud rate 38400?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:24   #329

thanks for the reply yes tried all baude options
marex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:44   #330
Marine Service Provider

marex...

How is the AIS transponder interfaced to the PC? Serial port? USB-Serial adapter?

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, lease, opencpn