Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 05:42   #31

Boat: Halmatic 30
Re: OpenCPN (via openplotter) slow on RaspPi3

Just upgraded my Raspberry Pi 3 to the latest debian Linux version called Stretch.

I have upgrade the present Jessie version with OpenPlotter via the server settings. Although this is not recommanded.

But everything seems to work well. I also tried OpenGL with the Texture caching on and this seems to work. Screen movements are faster then before with the Jessie version.

I don't know if the oeSENC fingerprint has survived the update.

Bram[/QUOTE]

It took some time to get all the updates on the Raspberry Pi 3 to the Raspian Stretch Version.

The result is an remarkable improvement of the screen movements in OpenCPN.

I have upgraded my present Jessie version only by changing the server settings.

OpenGL is on and also texture caching is on.

Not yet tried the Oesenc fingerprint for the ENC charts sets.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 12:33   #32

Just upgraded my Raspberry Pi 3 to the latest debian Linux version called Stretch.

I have upgrade the present Jessie version with OpenPlotter via the server settings. Although this is not recommanded.

But everything seems to work well. I also tried OpenGL with the Texture caching on and this seems to work. Screen movements are faster then before with the Jessie version.

Bram[/QUOTE]

I get a lot of errors with my upgrade of Jessie to Stretch. And now with a complete fresh original image I cannot install OpenCPN and is very slow.

Better wait for improvements.
Old 19-08-2017, 05:34   #33

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

the raspberry gpu is slow

I am using mali gpu on arm64 it's much faster. Only problem is, there are bugs in this driver as well. Fortunately it never crashes opencpn, and "self corrects" making the program mostly usable.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 13:22   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post

Bram
I get a lot of errors with my upgrade of Jessie to Stretch. And now with a complete fresh original image I cannot install OpenCPN and is very slow.

Better wait for improvements.[/QUOTE]

With a clean image form the Stretch Raspian version. OpenCPN seems to be not installable with PPA.

Then took my latest OpenPlotter Raspian Jessie version. Replaced the server settings with Jessie to Stretch. And then update and apt-get dist-update.

After a lot of updates Stretch now works. OpenCPN was also ugradable to version 2.8.

I had made an error in the Synatic server adresses. There were still 2 Jessie versions left. And with updating you get a mix of different files.

But now it works. Movement on the screen goes well. But GLXgears gives a low FPS.

It seems that Wayland has been replaced by Xserver.

I have not found any errors with the updating in this way.

Bram
Old 07-09-2017, 10:38   #35

The Desktop and other software works quick and responsive with Linux Stretch. However in OpenCPN the screen movements were not as fast as the latest Jessie version.

As always, I had OpenGL set to on in OpenCPN.

Now I have tried OpenCPN with the OpenGL setting to off. Result : much quicker screen movements in OpenCPN and a lower processor load ?

No idea what causes this behavior.

Bram
Old 07-09-2017, 12:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
The Desktop and other software works quick and responsive with Linux Stretch. However in OpenCPN the screen movements were not as fast as the latest Jessie version.

As always, I had OpenGL set to on in OpenCPN.

Now I have tried OpenCPN with the OpenGL setting to off. Result : much quicker screen movements in OpenCPN and a lower processor load ?

No idea what causes this behavior.

Bram
Bram very interesting. I've just done a quick test and have found the same results. I should say it was just a very quick test so not at all conclusive. I will test some more when I have time.

Thank you
baltika_no_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 21:02   #37

So I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing that same issues with a PI 3 B+ functioning so slowly its barely usable.

I have enabled the OpenGL drivers in raspi-config and a glxgears prints out a max FPS of 60. The highest FPS i have had is 100.

When OpenCPL is running and showing chart data, it is extremely slow to pan around and also zoom. I am sure this is to do with it trying to pre-load the map data that is not visable. I would almost prefer it to not pre load any map data and move instantly then one moved, it loads the map data.

Is anyone still experiencing this issue and does anyone have a fix? Im really looking forward to installing this system in my dads boat but right now its just unusable on the PI.

Regards
deanfourie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 22:12   #38

Boat: Outremer 50S

What versions of OpenCPN and OS?

I’ve been running on a 3+ for more than three years quite happily using the Openplotter 1 install. I upgraded through 4.8.4 just fine. The switch to 5.0 was less than great, I rolled back and now have two SD cards, one with my 4.8.4 that I run when I get frustrated. I have not yet loaded the Openplotter 2 setup, that’s on the list for this spring, have been waiting for the dust to settle.

What charts have you downloaded, type, number, and size of area? Preparing charts on the fly can really slow things down. There are options to pre-build both ENCs and RNCs (see up thread). Do that, let it run for as long as it needs, see if that helps.

On a new install this doesn’t matter, but I have observed that the larger navobjs.xml gets the slower my system gets (at least on 4.8). The big memory hog is tracks, we're on the boat 365 and the tracks start to add up. About once a year I have to purge the file. Same can be true if there are a ton of waypoints in the file, OpenCPN has to compute information on every waypoint (to decide if it needs to be displayed at the current zoom level) and that can consume resources (again, probably not a problem on a new build, but these are the things I’ve had problems with).

Depending on versions I can throw in my SD card to match and check settings.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 00:25   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
What versions of OpenCPN and OS?

I’ve been running on a 3+ for more than three years quite happily using the Openplotter 1 install. I upgraded through 4.8.4 just fine. The switch to 5.0 was less than great, I rolled back and now have two SD cards, one with my 4.8.4 that I run when I get frustrated. I have not yet loaded the Openplotter 2 setup, that’s on the list for this spring, have been waiting for the dust to settle.

What charts have you downloaded, type, number, and size of area? Preparing charts on the fly can really slow things down. There are options to pre-build both ENCs and RNCs (see up thread). Do that, let it run for as long as it needs, see if that helps.

On a new install this doesn’t matter, but I have observed that the larger navobjs.xml gets the slower my system gets (at least on 4.8). The big memory hog is tracks, we're on the boat 365 and the tracks start to add up. About once a year I have to purge the file. Same can be true if there are a ton of waypoints in the file, OpenCPN has to compute information on every waypoint (to decide if it needs to be displayed at the current zoom level) and that can consume resources (again, probably not a problem on a new build, but these are the things I’ve had problems with).

Depending on versions I can throw in my SD card to match and check settings.
Thanks for the reply.

Im running open plotter 5.0.0 and the latest release of noobs. I have tried enabling the OpenGL drivers in raspi-config but its no different. Im peaking at about 60fps.

Im runnning AUCKLAND maps.

Should I try to downgrade?
Old 12-03-2020, 00:35   #40

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanfourie View Post
So I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing that same issues with a PI 3 B+ functioning so slowly its barely usable.

I have enabled the OpenGL drivers in raspi-config and a glxgears prints out a max FPS of 60. The highest FPS i have had is 100.

When OpenCPL is running and showing chart data, it is extremely slow to pan around and also zoom. I am sure this is to do with it trying to pre-load the map data that is not visable. I would almost prefer it to not pre load any map data and move instantly then one moved, it loads the map data.

Is anyone still experiencing this issue and does anyone have a fix? Im really looking forward to installing this system in my dads boat but right now its just unusable on the PI.

Regards
Check that you have this enabled in your opencpn configuration:

BUT second and more important:

MAKE SURE you're using an excellent quality SD card. At least class 10 and much better when faster. The map reading performance decays extremely when using an old SD card. On an Rpi4 it can ruin the user experience so much that it feels like we're using an old Rpi 1.

Sandisk extreme gold or Samsumg EVO are two good options.

I have used opencpn for years in Rpi 1 where it was barely usable unless you tuned the system a lot, but in Rpi 3+ it works quite decently and without having to do special things to tune the system. A bit slow with the raster maps but certainly perfectly usable. Better with the CM93.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:57   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguino View Post
Check that you have this enabled in your opencpn configuration:

BUT second and more important:

MAKE SURE you're using an excellent quality SD card. At least class 10 and much better when faster. The map reading performance decays extremely when using an old SD card. On an Rpi4 it can ruin the user experience so much that it feels like we're using an old Rpi 1.

Sandisk extreme gold or Samsumg EVO are two good options.

I have used opencpn for years in Rpi 1 where it was barely usable unless you tuned the system a lot, but in Rpi 3+ it works quite decently and without having to do special things to tune the system. A bit slow with the raster maps but certainly perfectly usable. Better with the CM93.
Thanks again,

So I tried with the SDCard from my Hero 7 which is a Sandisk Extreme class A1 and had the exact same results.

Not sure about the different map types, very new to this. Would the maps be available for New Zealand for both types of map formats?

Also yes, OpenGL is enabled in the settings and I also enabled to caching option too for testing. No luck

Thanks
Old 12-03-2020, 02:18   #42

https://youtu.be/IrPlFPu3A08
Old 12-03-2020, 04:56   #43

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Three things:

Adding this line in opencpn.conf will keep the rpi from running out of memory.
[Settings]
MEMCacheLimit=200

Also, texture caching does not work on the rpi3, there is no compression.

Finally, check your log file to be sure that opengl is actually turned on.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:43   #44

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

Raster charts, especially if they are large, tend to be much heavier to handle. If you add to this the fact that the resolution of the screen you are using in the Rpi3 is very high that slows down its operation even more. I see it working more or less as it should in your video considering the resolution of your monitor and the type of chart.

On a lower resolution monitor and/or with smaller or vector charts it will work better. Try the CM93 and compare.

If you need to use that resolution and those cards may be the jump to a 2 Gb Rpi4 that now have lowered a lot of price is your option to consider.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:03   #45

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Try it in non opengl mode it will be much faster. Also reduce the amount of charts opening at one time, especially if you have the quilting feature on.

We run the 3B w/the 5.0 w/oplotter, full US east coast raster charts and have no problems.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn