Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 03:29   #1

OpenCPN vs Paid Navigation Software

What says more experienced: OpenCPN vs other payed paid navigation software

What are pros and cons by OpenCPN vs other payed paid navigation software

Edit: FFS, let's at least make a mild attempt at the English language
maxipoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:47   #2

re: OpenCPN vs Paid Navigation Software

PROS:
Open CPN is FREE
It is in constant progress (thanks to the developers)
You could find a worldwide CM93 cartography by serching on Google (type CM93_V2 xxxx - xxxx= year); as far as I know the most recent date from 2012
It is possible to connect GPS, AIS, Radar, etc...
The software can read a lot of charts data formats (especially NOOA ENC charts, which are free)
It's possible to create transparent plans from Google Earth, or plans from Navionics to remedy CM93 lacks of precision
etc... (see Open CPN fora & tutorials)

CONS
???... I'm still looking for...
pupuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxipoint View Post
What says more experienced: OpenCPN vs other payed navigation software

What are pros and cons by OpenCPN vs other payed navigation software
Troll?
With OpenCPN the money stays in your wallet and the boat gets to the same places.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 04:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
Troll?
With OpenCPN the money stays in your wallet and the boat gets to the same places.
know that for sure...
maxipoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:42   #5

Boat: Najad 34

And I don't think there are any other program that can share raster and vector charts at the same time, e.g. show a rester between a vector, and make radar overlay and AIS and nearly whatever NMEA 0183 incoming message from a number of connections and GRIBs and...........on Linux/Windows/MAC/ARM......
OCPN is nothing more than outstanding.
Welcome the a likewise outstanding team of developers, helpers and supporters.
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:21   #6

Boat: 10.50 mètres

In France, there is a software company called ScanNav. I tried this software in 2010. Too complicated for me at that time the.

Currently ScanNav has a good reputation and is probably more or less the same as OpenCPN. The developer of this software is very responsive.

The difference:

To view raster charts from SHOM for the Channel coast, OpenCPN = about 78 euros (charts purchased at VisitMyHarbour) ScanNav = 480 euros (+ software charts dedicated to Scannav)

To view raster maps SHOM for French mediterranean coast OpenCPN, knock down. (No raster charts for the Mediterranean Sea) ScanNav = 480 euros (Software + charts dedicated to ScanNav)

I also observed that charts publishers NV-Verlag, VisitMyHarbour, Soltk.se all tend to not talk about OpenCPN on their website. Indeed, these charts publishers would gain nothing about it. By cons, they speak of paid software like SeaClear because these programs allow them to earn some money.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:37   #7

Boat: Najad 34

Gille....
Soltek.se: (Using Google translate)
Quote:
The charts can be used in software such as Fugawi, Path Away, Open CPN, SeaClear Tiki others. Make sure that your program supports charts. Because they are created for users, we can not take back the product
Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 14:51   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not find any benefits. Some programs have this others have that. You take what you need from each.

I use, or used, the following: MaxSea, Deckman, Tsunami, NV App, Navionics App, Jeppesen App, i.a.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:38   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post
In France, there is a software company called ScanNav. I tried this software in 2010. Too complicated for me at that time the.

Currently ScanNav has a good reputation and is probably more or less the same as OpenCPN. The developer of this software is very responsive.

The difference:

To view raster charts from SHOM for the Channel coast, OpenCPN = about 78 euros (charts purchased at VisitMyHarbour) ScanNav = 480 euros (+ software charts dedicated to Scannav)

To view raster maps SHOM for French mediterranean coast OpenCPN, knock down. (No raster charts for the Mediterranean Sea) ScanNav = 480 euros (Software + charts dedicated to ScanNav)

I also observed that charts publishers NV-Verlag, VisitMyHarbour, Soltk.se all tend to not talk about OpenCPN on their website. Indeed, these charts publishers would gain nothing about it. By cons, they speak of paid software like SeaClear because these programs allow them to earn some money.
Visitmyharbour are very supportive of OpenCPN. Which they use themselves in their office.

Back to the OP: OpenCPN is more powerful, flexible , and -- ah -- open, than any of the commercial packages. It's all you need.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 16:47   #10

I think the difference CPN, to paid navigation software to support commercial cartography Jeppesen C-MAP, Navionics.
S-57/63 unfortunately has limited coverage and do not always have free access. CM93 / 2 abolished and not updated.
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 22:46   #11

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Opencpn: Add Responsive support from users and programmers.
Also very active development of the program and the plugins, by a passionate community of users and programmers working together.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 00:47   #12
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

We chatted yesterday with a small shipping company that runs a fleet of 180m container ships and uses OCPN as support/back-up system on the bridge with S-63 charts.
They are of course aware that OCPN is not an ECDIS nor an ECS in the SOLAS sense but told us that for their purposes it is hands-down the best value they can get..
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 02:23   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
We chatted yesterday with a small shipping company that runs a fleet of 180m container ships and uses OCPN as support/back-up system on the bridge with S-63 charts.
They are of course aware that OCPN is not an ECDIS nor an ECS in the SOLAS sense but told us that for their purposes it is hands-down the best value they can get..
I can confirm that they ar not aolne doing so,,,
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 23:44   #14

Re: OpenCPN vs Paid Navigation Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilletarom View Post

The difference:

I do not understand how this is more or less the same as Open CPN, it is not free,

Software Licenses
Product Observations Price
-
ScanNav ScanNav software
GRIB module Display of weather forecast option
Currents module Display of Tidal Currents option (*)
AIS Module Management of AIS targets
Box Supplement for packaging on a CD-Rom (without dongle)

Why all the talk just go here and find all you need to get sailing and it is free free free, viva Open CPN, if shipping companies trust it then why not give it a try as a back up system!

Purple Lizard Lingo - Blog
Dr Zog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
software, navigation, opencpn, enc