Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 08:14   #16

Boat: 29'
Re: OpenCPN .xpm from .jpg Own Ship Icon

PS.Hopefully this still applies in newer ones but in XP,and everything before,Rightclick everything in Windows...it's very handy.

Unfortunately,nothing is intuitive in all this.My brain has developed strange bumps all over it since I got my first computer.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:32   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 40ft Alloy Centre Board
Send a message via Skype™ to nixontankgirl

[QUOTE=HappySeagull;814233]Hi,nixontankgirl ...I've got XP.If you do,or even if not,hope this helps

Wow, thanks for that. I actually managed to do it yesterday morning but I really wish I had read your description 2 weeks ago!! I became confused with all the text in the ini. file and the instructions led me to believe that it was a far more complicated process than it was. There are a few lines that read [Directory], in the .ini file, and for some reason I was under the impression that when the instructions were talking about creating a new directory that they were referring to the .ini file and that I had to somehow write code to put in the ini. file [directory], if that makes sense. I was actually looking at the threads regarding the icons last month and didn't even try to download any as I couldn't understand how to access them.
Its funny, because less than 10 yrs ago I was using photocopied charts of photocopies that had holes in and I had to sail around the 'hole' because I didn't know what was there, I used to be a sailor but now I am a computer technician......
Now you have raised another issue though. I am using an early version of openCPN (before 2.3) on an old XP machine and tried to instal 2.3 and it wouldn't work, I have 2.5 installed with W7, I thought XP was not supported by openCPN anymore? Or is it possible to create the ownship icon on earlier than 2.3 openCPN? For some reason I thought it was only 2.3 and newer that allowed it. Or is there a secret to putting 2.5 on an XP machine? I really like the 2.5 version......
Once again I just want to say thank you for taking the time to help me out with this, Cheers, Nico.
nixontankgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:38   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
PS.Hopefully this still applies in newer ones but in XP,and everything before,Rightclick everything in Windows...it's very handy.

Unfortunately,nothing is intuitive in all this.My brain has developed strange bumps all over it since I got my first computer.

Hahahaha......thanks!

And my vocabulary has totally changed, I think that I had never even uttered the phrase 'download a file' in my life 10 years ago and the only time I had ever said RAM was in reference to a male sheep, and I am sure that my free time on anchor used to be spent slightly differently too.....
Old 09-11-2011, 11:38   #19

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
Now you have raised another issue though. I am using an early version of openCPN (before 2.3) on an old XP machine and tried to instal 2.3 and it wouldn't work, I have 2.5 installed with W7, I thought XP was not supported by openCPN anymore? Or is it possible to create the ownship icon on earlier than 2.3 openCPN? For some reason I thought it was only 2.3 and newer that allowed it. Or is there a secret to putting 2.5 on an XP machine? I really like the 2.5 version......
Once again I just want to say thank you for taking the time to help me out with this, Cheers, Nico.
As far as I can tell, 2.5 runs very well on my (and probably thousands other) XP machines.
The only difference is that the INI file, user icons, log file etc. are usually in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\opencpn
To find out where exactly these files are on your computer, follow Installing OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage (last part of it, called Location of Important Files. Log and config files.)
If you have user data (waypoints, routes and tracks) you really don't want to lose, backing it up as GPX is very strongly advised if upgrading from very old versions.
Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
nixontankgirl...
  • Directory and folder are synonyms when we talk about computers
  • You don't need to modify the INI file - did you get the impression that you have to from the manual? If you did, we clearly have to update the manual to be more understandable, actually, if you could do me a favor and try to describe it in a way you find fine once you get it going, I would be grateful. Just delete the line you added to opencpn.ini
  • As far as I remember, you are on Win7. Create a folder C:\ProgramData\opencpn\UserIcons and place ownship.xpm or any other icons you create or download in it. Once you start OpenCPN for the next time, you should be set.
  • Those guys are trying to help you, believe it or not
Pavel
Pavel,
I did it yesterday, but thanks anyway. This is just to clear up any misunderstandings and to say thanks for your time.

So, you say "Directory and folder are synonyms when we talk about computers". The key word here is of course 'we'. And just to express a sense of humor about the whole thing, is there another word for 'synonym' too?

You may not believe this, but I have actually met and helped 2 people set up OpenCPN who were unable to make the program 'see' the charts and had no idea how to set up a com port. There are people out there that really are far more challenged than I am regarding computers....

Now that I have 'done it' the instructions make far more sense. I dont feel that it would be my position to tell you how to make them more understandable as of course that would make them more understandable to me and maybe not to others.
What confused me was the use of directory in place of folder.
"1. Create a directory called "UserIcons" in the same place that holds your opencpn.ini(config) file." (Don't forget at this point that I thought the process was slighly more complicated than it turned out to be.....!) So, I looked in the .ini file and saw [directory] and presumed that was what the instructions where talking about.

So, I have to delete the line I inserted into the ini. file. Ok, I will.

And I am aware that some people are trying to help. What I didn't appreciate is Sailors comments about RTFM, and the suggestion that I should read a book about computers before I use OpenCPN.

You have to admit that "IMHA, if you plan to use OpenCpn in earnest (I mean while underway), you might want to read ONE of the 1000+ books on Windows to learn the basics of the OS you're using (XP, W7 or whatever).
So I won't explain how to create a folder or navigate to a specific directory." is a slightly different response than any of the others that I have received.

I dont even know what IMHA means, I googled it, it can meanIndependent Mental Health Advocate, Immune mediated hemolytic anemia, or Innisfil Minor Hockey Association. So I am still no wiser in that department.

And as for using OpenCPN in earnest, I have sailed up the west coast of NZ, to Fiji and back. I am wondering what he means in 'earnest', do I have to round the horn in an optimist?

Anyway, if you believed that I was unappreciative of peoples help then I am not. But when I have helped people solve issues that I consider simple I didn't tell them RTFM and act superior.

So, just let me express my thanks to yourself, moosemoney, and the OpenCPN team, as well as GPSMarco. I see that you are one of the authors of OpenCPN. Thankyou for that.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:43   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see. That's good to know, I tried to install 2.3 on XP and it wouldn't work at all. I received some windows error message. I will try and install 2.5 now, but I thought that I read somewhere that 2.3 and newer was not supported, obviously I was mistaken.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:37   #22

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixontankgirl View Post
I see. That's good to know, I tried to install 2.3 on XP and it wouldn't work at all. I received some windows error message. I will try and install 2.5 now, but I thought that I read somewhere that 2.3 and newer was not supported, obviously I was mistaken.
there is a (sigh) trick.
For 2.3 and beyond,in XP that isn't connected umbilically-to-Bill (Gates,that is) ,you needed this:

"vcredist_x86.exe"

It's available...well,from Microsoft...Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 17:30   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well that's cool, 2.5 is up and running on my XP machine. I tried a while ago to install 2.3 and for some reason it wouldn't work.....hhhmmmmm....I will have a look at all the icons that are available now, but I am drawing the line at making an 'own ship' icon. I tried to use an image from my computer but it is currently taking up the entire bay I am in......
Old 09-11-2011, 17:36   #24

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

BUT... this will NOT change the moving 'own boat here' accessed by the right clicked mouse. So,once you start sailing,the default 'own ship' will still be there.

Your newly created,'own ship' icon residing in the UserIcon directory will only be accessable through the right click 'drop mark here' menu and will not follow your route/track as you start sailing.

The 'real' 'own ship' icon is probably embedded in OCPN itself.

Tore
Old 09-11-2011, 17:46   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh. I am happy then that I didn't spend a long time making an ownship icon. If I knew that a week ago.......

Cheers.
Old 09-11-2011, 18:08   #26

Nixontankgirl...

Here is a sailboat.xml icon I just made,but it is non-directional and doesn't move by itself.

It is the black coloured boat in the bay,presently inactive we would like to have the option to change. Is it possible?

Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_02 Nov. 10 00.04.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	33520  
Old 09-11-2011, 18:15   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Apparently I am the last person you should ask.....good job on making the icon though.
Old 09-11-2011, 18:29   #28

You can access the sailboat icon pluss a good deal of seamarks here:
4shared folder - UserIcons

Have fun and fair winds!

Tore
Old 09-11-2011, 22:22   #29

Boat: Phantom 19

Tore...
In my world, ownship.xpm in the usericons directory works exactly as announced in the manual and programmed in the code of OpenCPN - it replaces the default icon.
Double check that the file name you gave the icon really is ownship.xpm

Nico...
The pictures you use have to be small, for example the default boat icon is 19 pixels wide and 45 pixels high. Yours is probably way bigger.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:10   #30

Nohal..

BY JOVE! you are right.....but it defies logic...

First of all,the directory UserIcons is optionally created by the user IF he wants any new icons. i.e. it is NOT part of the basic OCPN program. So it follows that the original own ship icon must reside elsewhere,but where?

An algorithm must exist which will give preference to any new ownship.xpm which is created in a new directory called UserIcons,how devious!!

nixontankgirl.. If you have downloaded my icon group including 'sailboat.xpm',please rename it to 'ownship.xpm' and place it in your UserIcons directory. You will probably have to restart your OCPN to see the result but it WORKS!! Will be interesting to see if it also works directionally. I presume the color changes to red when the ship starts to move.

Tore

Tags
opencpn