Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2018, 08:01   #31
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: OpenGL dooes Not work

Interesting what one can suppose and trying to put into others words.

Are you a professional spin-doctor btw.? As you are speculating about the professional background of some "coders".....
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:18   #32

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Yeah! Its those dumb users, turning knobs we gave them when they aren't supposed to!

Can you now please get back to the rest of the post, which is actually the subject of our discussion?

Thank you

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:36   #33

Boat: 41' yawl
OpenGL dooes Not work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Can you now please get back to the rest of the post, which is actually the subject of our discussion?

Thank you

Pavel

I never signed onto fixing your problems, I just wanted to amuse myself by yelling at a bad coder.

But if something as simple as an asset caching fix requires caveats about the 'abusiveness' of its use, then yeah, I'd probably be thinking rewrite. Particularly with a piece of software that the brave (or naive) are using to get home safely!!

A rewrite doesn't mean throwing everything away. I'm sure lots of pieces could be plopped right into a sensibly architected system, perhaps with mild refactoring in cases where components are shakey, too much visibility into domains they shouldn't be concerned with (aka 'spaghetti'), etc.

You are building a home. You've run out of wire and are too lazy to go to the store so you decide to use your sink drain as the ground for your bathroom lights. Years later, a new owner fixes a drain leak with a length of plastic pipe. Imagine their surprise when their lights stop working!

Pure speculation, but after talking with you I'm guessing this metaphor applies to much of your work.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:20   #34
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Quote:
I never signed onto fixing your problems, I just wanted to amuse myself by yelling at a bad coder.

Pure speculation,......
Gives you what? Please remember that the position of the most beautiful, most intelligent and most successful Human Being is at this moment held by DT.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Gives you what? Please remember that the position of the most beautiful, most intelligent and most successful Human Being is at this moment held by DT.

I was being charitable when i said 'pure speculation'.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:39   #36

Quote:

But if something as simple as an asset caching fix requires caveats about the 'abusiveness' of its use, then yeah, I'd probably be thinking rewrite. Particularly with a piece of software that the brave (or naive) are using to get home safely!!

A rewrite doesn't mean throwing everything away. I'm sure lots of pieces could be plopped right into a sensibly architected system, perhaps with mild refactoring in cases where components are shakey, too much visibility into domains they shouldn't be concerned with (aka 'spaghetti'), etc.

You are building a home. You've run out of wire and are too lazy to go to the store so you decide to use your sink drain as the ground for your bathroom lights. Years later, a new owner fixes a drain leak with a length of plastic pipe. Imagine their surprise when their lights stop working!

Pure speculation, but after talking with you I'm guessing this metaphor applies to much of your work.

Too much general allegory, no code and no pictures you suggested us to use. I’m a little disappointed. If it helps you heal your complexes, feel free to yell further, I don’t mind much.

Pavel
Old 08-04-2018, 10:21   #37

Quote:
Too much general allegory, no code and no pictures you suggested us to use. I’m a little disappointed. If it helps you heal your complexes, feel free to yell further, I don’t mind much.

Pavel

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you aren't able to discuss software engineering in the abstract.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:28   #38

Quote:
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that you aren't able to discuss software engineering in the abstract.

I do not know if you remember, but we are not in an abstract discussion about software engineering, our patient is laying on the table. It is a trivial bug in OpenCPN and a few line patch to fix it.
If you, during this surgery, also resolve something else, better, but certainly not necessary.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:54   #39

OpenGL dooes Not work

Quote:
I do not know if you remember, but we are not in an abstract discussion about software engineering, our patient is laying on the table. It is a trivial bug in OpenCPN and a few line patch to fix it.
If you, during this surgery, also resolve something else, better, but certainly not necessary.

The thought of you as a surgeon is sobering.

'So then the patient tells me he tried to chew gum and walk AT THE SAME TIME!! Like duh!!! of course the kidney transplant fell out of your butt! Sigh.... These patients just don't understand how hard surgery is.'

And for the record, you began the abstract discussion when you noted 'bugs are normal'.
Old 08-04-2018, 17:27   #40

Quote:
The thought of you as a surgeon is sobering.

'So then the patient tells me he tried to chew gum and walk AT THE SAME TIME!! Like duh!!! of course the kidney transplant fell out of your butt! Sigh.... These patients just don't understand how hard surgery is.'

And for the record, you began the abstract discussion when you noted 'bugs are normal'.
What re you talking about now, please?
Old 08-04-2018, 18:42   #41

Quote:
What re you talking about now, please?

Seriously? You described your bugfix with a surgery metaphor. I made a joke about how awful it would be if someone as myopic as yourself were a surgeon.

Lets... never talk again.
Old 08-04-2018, 19:12   #42

Quote:
Lets... never talk again.
You will be missed, bye.