Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2021, 01:36   #1

OpenGL drawing error on OSX (MBAir) - known issue?

When I enable Prefs > Display > Advanced > OpenGL, then all my buoys and other chart symbols (oesENC) end up as little rectangles.
Is this a known issue (and where can I find the solution?)

Disabling OpenGL fixes the issue. With OpenGL enabled, I tried playing around with the settings, to no avail. Sometimes (when lucky) it does work when OpenCPN is restarted. Several tries can be needed.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
OSX High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14042)

OpenCPN version 5.2.4+6b314e6 (behaviour also observed in earlier 5.x versions)
Plugin API 117
oesENC plugin version 4.2.17.1

Attached screenshot, ini and log file (both pretending to pdf so as to circumvent size limit)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chartdrawerror.png
Views:	42
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	232657  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf opencpn.log.remove_this_and_pdf_extension.pdf (81.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf opencpn.ini.remove_this_and_pdf_extension.pdf (14.8 KB, 39 views)
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 02:28   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: OpenGL drawing error on OSX (MBAir) - known issue?

I don't use oesENC, don't know how it works and so I can guess only but regarding your files I see:

Quote:
10:00:35.261 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/LUPPatch1.xml
10:00:35.261 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/LUPPatch2.xml
10:00:35.261 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/LUPPatch3.xml
10:00:35.261 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/SymbolPatch1.xml
10:00:35.262 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/SymbolPatch2.xml
10:00:35.262 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/SymbolPatch3.xml
10:00:35.262 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/SymbolPatch4.xml
10:00:35.262 MESSAGE chartsymbols.cpp:843 ChartSymbols PatchFile Failed to load /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/SharedSupport/plugins/oesenc_pi/data/SymbolPatch5.xml
Obviously the corrected chartsymbols are not loaded resulting in showing bad symbols. That might be a path problem and should be fixed by the developers of this plugin. As seen later in your log something is not in Cache:
Quote:
10:10:45.229 MESSAGE chartdb.cpp:1296 OpenChartUsingCache, NOT in cache: cache size: 1

Another thing: The photolayer plugin does not load either:
Quote:
10:25:57.512 ERROR dlunix.cpp:162 dlopen(/Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/Plugins/libphotolayer_pi.dylib, 2): Symbol not found: __ZN12wxWindowBase19SetVirtualSizeHintsEiiii
Referenced from: /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/Plugins/libphotolayer_pi.dylib
Expected in: flat namespace
in /Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/Plugins/libphotolayer_pi.dylib
Delete it or get a newer version of this plugin.
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2021, 04:53   #3

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I don't use oesENC, don't know how it works and so I can guess only but regarding your files I see:

Obviously the corrected chartsymbols are not loaded resulting in showing bad symbols. That might be a path problem and should be fixed by the developers of this plugin. As seen later in your log something is not in Cache:
I don't think the failed patches are the cause. I just restarted opencpn with opengl enabled and got working symbols. yet the log still shows those failed patch messages.
Old 16-02-2021, 12:48   #4

Twist...

Had this problem with 'otcurrent_pi'. It may involve the function 'DrawGLTextString();'

Removed this line in the plugin code to get things moving ...
mdc.SetTextBackground(wxTRANSPARENT);

There could be a problem in the main OpenCPN code.

Mike

p.s. Noted the PhotoLayer comment.
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 08:26   #5

Hi Rasbats, thanks, I hoped to avoid delving in source code, but hey... ;-)
The photolayer lib error I don't fully understand yet. I assume it comes with the vfkap plugin which I have used, but currently is disabled.
Only chartdownloader, wmm and oesenc are enabled now.
Old 17-02-2021, 09:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
The photolayer lib error I don't fully understand yet. I assume it comes with the vfkap plugin which I have used, but currently is disabled.
The photolayer plugin you have installed is not correct compiled. The error say a symbol of a function is missing. It has nothing to do with other plugins. Delete the photolayer plugin and try to get a newer one.
Old 17-02-2021, 10:03   #7

Twist...

v3.4.2 was submitted for adding to the master catalog today. It may take a day or two for it to appear but it could solve your issue.

VFKaps is not needed to work with PhotoLayer, which uses geotiffs not kaps. Geotiffs are available from a number of sources, including VentureFarther.com.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 11:51   #8

Rasbats, CarCode, appreciate your help.

More than happy to remove PhotoLayer plugin, but I don't immediately know how: it isn't installed as far as I know, I never installed it (I hadn't even heard of it until you mentioned it).
Now, I see the log file error. So somehow photolayer IS here. That's why I assumed it was part of VF.

Do I just remove?
Code:
/Applications/OpenCPN.app/Contents/Plugins/libphotolayer_pi.dylib
I can't find any reference to photolayer in opencpn.ini
Old 17-02-2021, 12:17   #9

Just remove it, it is broken.

There will be no reference in your log because it was never loaded!
Old 17-02-2021, 12:30   #10

Just removed libphotolayer_pi.dylib. Then relaunched opencpn.
Still the same rectangles instead of the correct icons.
Old 17-02-2021, 12:56   #11

Ok, so I downloaded a fresh chartsymbols.xml from github, and replaced the one I had on my system. First relaunch of opencpn: succes! The second relauch: fail!