Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2019, 08:15   #1

Question OpenPlotter - Searching for peripherals

Hi all,

Interested in people's experiences in using a Raspberry Pi and OpenPlotter/OpenCPN. We've recently had an out-of-manufacture chartplotter break and I'm finding the information on the OpenPlotter site slightly confusing/incomplete.

Has anyone managed to get the program to run on a newer Raspberry Pi 4 using the oesENC charts that you can purchase at https://o-charts.org/shop/en/8-oesenc? Which 12v screens and Pi Cases do members use (probably around 12-14")?

We already have quite a few sensors on board and an AIS transceiver, all of which are multiplexed on to high-speed RS422 using a TackTick multiplexor and displayed using the chart plotter we're replacing. I'm assuming that the multiplexed data stream will still work with the new OpenPlotter set up. What High-speed RS422-USB converters do people suggest using?

Currently we have a Garmin rail-mount GPS antenna - can anyone suggest a similar USB device compatible for use with the OpenPlotter setup?

I would also like to set up an external rail-mount WiFi antenna for connecting to Marina WiFi, and an internal WiFi antenna for the crew to connect to to:
a) share the Marina WiFi
b) share data from OpenPlotter to crew and skipper's smartphones.
Is this possible in OpenPlotter, is it easy to use? Can anyone recommend an external antenna? If we do put Navigation and AIS data on the internal WiFi, are there any recommended 'phone apps for displaying the data?

How useful are the add on boards I can see on sites like Banggood which measure temperature/humidty/pressure and yaw/roll/pitch? Is there an easy to use electronic compass?

We are also contemplating buying a RADAR in future - does the OpenCPN Radar plug-in work well? Does it limit the list of Radars that can be bought.

I'm hoping to use NodeRed and MQTT to set up some reporting of where the boat has been, engine hours etc. And extend in future to include fuel and water tank statuses, battery status etc.

Finally, is there a method of safe shutdown via a GPIO button available? Not sure all our skippers would shutdown the Pi correctly. Even better, a UPS which initiates a save and shutdown on a power loss of greater than say 30 secs.

S
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 09:38   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: OpenPlotter - Searching for peripherals

Quote:
Originally Posted by st599 View Post
Hi all,

Currently we have a Garmin rail-mount GPS antenna - can anyone suggest a similar USB device compatible for use with the OpenPlotter setup?
Anything supported by gpsd binary formats or nmea0183.
Quote:

I would also like to set up an external rail-mount WiFi antenna for connecting to Marina WiFi, and an internal WiFi antenna for the crew to connect to to:
a) share the Marina WiFi
b) share data from OpenPlotter to crew and skipper's smartphones.
Is this possible in OpenPlotter, is it easy to use? Can anyone recommend an external antenna? If we do put Navigation and AIS data on the internal WiFi, are there any recommended 'phone apps for displaying the data?
You can use opencpn on phone for AIS. Look for alfa and similar high powered usb antenna. I use special scripts to get the best signal rather than network manager.
Quote:
How useful are the add on boards I can see on sites like Banggood which measure temperature/humidty/pressure and yaw/roll/pitch? Is there an easy to use electronic compass?
Yes, suggest mpu9255.
Quote:

Finally, is there a method of safe shutdown via a GPIO button available? Not sure all our skippers would shutdown the Pi correctly. Even better, a UPS which initiates a save and shutdown on a power loss of greater than say 30 secs.

S
This is outside the scope of openplotter, check raspberry pi forums, but not difficult to set up. Also ups for pi exists. I considered a solution using ultra capacitors since you only need in most cases a few seconds. This is generally not a huge issue.

The other way is to mount filesystem readonly at boot, and use usb drive for home partition.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc