Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2023, 08:54   #31

Re: OpenPlotter - Where is /dev/ttyAMA0

I may just dump the SignalK if I can find out how to do it and OpenPlotter lets me run PyPilot without SignalK. All my troubles seem to be found through using it to harmonise comms between the various elements, and there's not much harmonization going on.
PhilipL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 04:40   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipL View Post
I may just dump the SignalK if I can find out how to do it and OpenPlotter lets me run PyPilot without SignalK. All my troubles seem to be found through using it to harmonise comms between the various elements, and there's not much harmonization going on.
Sometimes Sean D' E will answer questions about his PyPilot. He is a member here on CF although I haven't seen him post lately,

There is a great story (plus photos) written up about him in the Oriental Newspaper. He sailed his old beat up $1,000 Bristol 27 damn near around the world then dealt with the Polar Freeze up here while on that same boat in the Dismal Swamp heating it with pine combs in a homemade stove.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sd3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	279870  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 07:29   #33

I spent this morning and got most things working except PyPilot. I even found my missing port. Not sure how that happened. PyPilot wouldn't work because OpenPlotter seems to take precedence over the OpenCPN plugin and looks for SignalK.

I have come to the conclusion that OpenPlotter and SignalK are not my future (perhaps not anyone else's if the support isn't there). They offer a Baroque edifice of software where you have no idea which piece is causing problems.

I am just about to remove it from my RPi and reinstall everything from scratch. OpenCPN will hopefully provide a more stable platform. It works fine on my other boat alone.
Old 21-08-2023, 07:37   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Yeah I have OpenPlotter / OpenCPN on my RPi's but on my laptop with Windows 10 which I'm using now I just downloaded OpenCPN straight from the OpenCPN Site.

For OpenPlotter/OpenCPN I used that old large 2.7GB - 3GB Image file that used to be up before they changed to OpenMarine
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 14:45   #35

@PhilipL

Have you tried BBN Marine OS instead? Might be that will be easier for you…
mgrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 14:49   #36

Re: OpenPlotter - Where is /dev/ttyAMA0. SOLVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrouch View Post
@PhilipL

Have you tried BBN Marine OS instead? Might be that will be easier for you…

I have just installed OpenCPN on one RPi without OpenPlotter and upgraded the other RPi's OpenCPN (which never had OpenPlotter). At the moment, everything is looking good. I will get to the boat tomorrow and hopefully PyPilot will work. Fingers crossed.

I have added SOLVED to the title but really it wasn't - I just gave up with OpenPlotter and SignalK. A dead end, I fear, in navigation technology.