Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 15:41   #16
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31
Re: OS Raspberry specific RPI

Thanks gents!

I have tried openplotter. My issues with it are follows...
1. It takes twice as long to boot up-- clearly only an issue when system inadvertently shuts down, or needs to be shut down.
2. It is slow to pick up my vesper 8000 gps signal, and is prone to losing the signal. This is very troubling to me. The vesper is connected to the pi via USB, @38400 baud, using the serial and kplex functions of Openplotter.

I experience neither of these issues when using just ocpn--thus my return to ocpn.

The first could possibly be remedied by shutting off many of the openplotter functions that I don't use. I'm not sure what is causing the vesper issue...

Any ideas are welcomed!
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 19:54   #17
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post
Thanks gents!

I have tried openplotter. My issues with it are follows...
1. It takes twice as long to boot up-- clearly only an issue when system inadvertently shuts down, or needs to be shut down.
2. It is slow to pick up my vesper 8000 gps signal, and is prone to losing the signal. This is very troubling to me. The vesper is connected to the pi via USB, @38400 baud, using the serial and kplex functions of Openplotter.

I experience neither of these issues when using just ocpn--thus my return to ocpn.

The first could possibly be remedied by shutting off many of the openplotter functions that I don't use. I'm not sure what is causing the vesper issue...

Any ideas are welcomed!
2 sounds wrong, which version openplotter? Sounds like a bug, the developers would be keen to know about that to fix it.

OpenMarine
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:07   #18

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
2 sounds wrong, which version openplotter? Sounds like a bug, the developers would be keen to know about that to fix it.

OpenMarine

Linux uses the Ext4 journaled file system. If the system is not correctly shutdown, then the next boot Ext4 checks the integerity of the file system and repairs what is lost. That of course needs extra boot time.

2. It is important to have a magnetic or an optocoupler in the connection to avoid damage via usb connection. Perhaps it is allready built in the Vesper.

And very important is to have a good power supply for the Pi.

With latest updates and kernel and with the OpenGL driver on it works very fast here.

A nice feature is also that in Linux you can have two screens open. One for the detail and one for an overview.
Attached Files
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:07   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

I have been an OpenCpn user in Rpi for years. Long ago. Even before even the appearance of OpenPlotter. I was one of the first ones who build OpenCpn for Rpi 1 and I've been using it in navigation for about 5 years now.
Come on, I have a lot of experience using the Rpi and the different combinations of Raspbian, differents Rpi (1,2,3, 3B+, Etc) and OpenCpn versions.

The difference in performance between using OpenCpn only on Raspbian or using it on OpenPlotter should not be almost noticeable.

I've seen cases where the use of a low quality, low speed or widely used SD card degraded the experience of OpenPlotter so much that it was almost impossible to use it. Have you tried using it on another SD card? Maybe it was the cause.
It is true that OPlotter builds several -few- services at startup but they consume only 5-7% of the system after boot. Among them is the program that sets the system time from the NMEA data of the GPS.

Regarding your problems with the GPS you do not clarify how you have configured it both in the version with OpenPlotter or in the NO OpenPlotter version. I suppose that since it is an AIS receiver you have only created one single input for the whole AIS+GPS data set. But Kplex is usually more effective at managing navigation data entries because it is very proven and versatile.

There is a lot of information on the openmarine.net forum and in the Spanish section we have added a version of OpenPlotter that includes -future- OpenCpn 5 (with support for MBTiles) and the latest version of XyGrib which is the successor to the abandoned ZyGrib.

I think there are a lot of good reasons to give OpenPlotter a chance in a good SD but if so, the simple use of OpenCpn over Raspbian is good enough for you as well. You'll just have to set your system clock by hand or program a tool to do it for you.... of course, that's why Kplex would be good for you.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:15   #20

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkerkbr View Post
A nice feature is also that in Linux you can have two screens open. One for the detail and one for an overview.
Is this feature only in Linux ?
Is this done using one permanent install and one portable ? or, How do you do it ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:54   #21
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Thanks for the insights!

Re
1-- I understand the startup lag, and could live with it, but for #2. The standard oplotter startup is about 2min, v 1 for the non version. And it does occasionally get into a much longer startup, due to some form of data corruption (probably from incorrect shutdown) as suggested.

2. Gps-I am using a USB bootable version of opencpn, and openplotter. Single USB from vesper to pi. When using plotter The vesper connection is thru serial, which is "referred" to kplex. Both ais and gps work, but the gps is slow to connect and prone to dropouts. Are you suggesting I split the vesper USB feed into ais and gps? If so, how? Or is there something else wrong with how I am connecting...

Off to the boat to test OP further...😁
Cheers, John
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:24   #22

Boat: Valiant 42

Use microSD for much faster boot times.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:07   #23
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcj View Post

2. Gps-I am using a USB bootable version of opencpn, and openplotter.
Would be interesting to try a fast SD card with clean OP v1.0
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:07   #24

Boat: Jeanneau SO 32I

The fact that you're talking about data corruption makes me think that the OpenPlotter USB is much older and/or slower than Raspbian and OpenCpn's SD or USB. Have you tried OpenPlotter on exactly the same device as Raspbian and OpenCpn?

The boot time should be exactly the same except for the few extra seconds that OpenPlotter displays on the OPlotter screen while checking that everything is correct.

Also while using USB as a disk/SD card it competes with the navigation data that enters via USB while the USB bottleneck of the Rpi is known. Imperative to use a good speed SD as a disk and you will appreciate it.

Regarding the connection you should try the serial port with the GPSD option to see if it suits you better than with the Kplex option. I'm talking especially about OpenPlotter version 1.0.0 which is much superior to the previous versions.

P.D

I just checked how long it takes to start my Rpi 3B+ with OPlotter V1.0.2 using a Kodak branded SD class 10 (not especially fast) that I bought yesterday for only 10 €.

From power on to the desktop over 35 seconds plus 15 seconds while charging OPlotter services. In total about 50 or 55 seconds.
pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:23   #25

Boat: Halmatic 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
Is this feature only in Linux ?
Is this done using one permanent install and one portable ? or, How do you do it ?
Dear NahanniV,

in Linux it is very simple. OpenCPN with one screen. Reduce it to a window. Then again open another version op OpenCPN. Then you have two versions of OpenCPN running and the available chartset. Works also with OeSenc encrypted charts.

Ais and GPS shows on both charts. And you can adjust each version to you liking.

With a chartplotter it is sometimes difficult to have an overview, because you are using the chart in detail when sailing. With these two charts sets open one behind the other there is hardly a need for zooming in-or out.

It can be done with Windows, but seems a lot more difficult to do. I'am only using Linux.

Simple clicking chart 1 or chart 2. It is even more easy with a touch screen, as shown on the video.

Regards,

Bram
verkerkbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 19:54   #26

I have a problem with my speed it jumps between 4 and 22 knots but i do a speed of 9 to 11 knots as it show on my Ais from which I get the data for fix and Ais sometimes it loses fix and show the boat lying still what can be the course of this it wasn't like this before only started to do this last week
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:30   #27

Boat: Valiant 42

If you do not have a source of SOG then OpenCPN will calculate speed based on change in position. Does your position fix source also produce SOG or only the position data? If the position is erratic then most likely that is going to effect the speed calculation as well.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
If you do not have a source of SOG then OpenCPN will calculate speed based on change in position. Does your position fix source also produce SOG or only the position data? If the position is erratic then most likely that is going to effect the speed calculation as well.
Silly me had a checkbox ticked to calculate from position changes.
Ivanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:09   #29

I am having trouble installing opencpn on raspberry 3 b+. Went through the steps for the install and this is what I got.
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get update
Hit:1 Index of /raspbian stretch InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /debian stretch InRelease
Reading package lists... Done
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install opencpn
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package opencpn is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'opencpn' has no installation candidate
I am new to raspbian. Any help?
Thanks Mike
mikedodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 15:33   #30

Ignore my first post, got it installed.

thanks
mikedodd is offline   Reply With Quote