Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 08:29   #16

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Paid vs Free Android OpenCPN

Quote:
One problem I found running it on my phone was it would not pull the charts from the sd card, I had to put them on internal memory and I just don't have the space.
This problem arose as Android developers became more concerned about security, and I believe the upgrade to KitKat version started the problem. Before that configuration of Charts on the Ext SD Card were simple.

With KitKat Android OS, we can copy our charts using the USB connection and a PC to the Ext SD Card, "Charts" folder, and set up Charts to point to the "Charts" folder. However the useful Chartdownloader plugin seems to want the charts on the internal card. I am considering moving the entire "Charts" folder back to the internal card and trying to use the Android system's Settings > ....Apps > "Move to SD" function. I am not sure if that will work.

I believe you will find most if not all of these answers on the Android OS Forum. Now my writing above is not in the appropriate Android Forum.

Which is my point. These questions are Android centric and to have the answers diluted by a dozen other issues/questions related to MAC, Windows, Linux, is just too much and not convenient

I encourage Android users to use the Android Forum!

Nice positive statement Waterman480, Thanks.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:38   #17

Boat: Columbia 36

So open the forum for guests to view only like everyone else does. Having to register first without seeing any content will chase a lot of people away, myself included.

I tried moving the app to sd, but it still would not look to the sd to load chaŕs.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:53   #18

I am not the forum host. Out of curiosity, what version of the OS?
See if you can "Move to SD Card" from Settings > App > Opencpn if it will move the Charts folder. If not, perhaps get the paid and join the Android forum, as the answer may be there.

Sorry I haven't tried this yet.

PS: Capt JGW Did you go to Options > Charts and redirect to the Ext SD Card Charts folder?
Getting chart updates requires use of your PC --->Usb if you do it this way.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:06   #19

Boat: Columbia 36

Not sure what all I tried, that was months ago. I'm not going to use it on the phone anyway, works fine on the tablet.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:56   #20

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I tried moving the app to sd, but it still would not look to the sd to load chaŕs.
Although you're not using it on the phone, capt, others may find this useful:

For Android version 7.0 ("Nougat" [why not just call it 7.0?]) go to Settings>Apps then select OpenCpn. Towards the bottom, select Permissions, and tun on storage. You can then select the external SD card as your chart repository from within OpenCPN.

btw, rgleason, I'm more than capable of understanding "volunteer", and am happy that Ziggy has assisted you, oh so CHEERFULLY, to understand the meaning of "snarky".
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 13:13   #21

Paid version of OpenCPN??? It's open source! Does the licence allow someone to fork it for a new platform (Android) and sell it? That seems contrary to the nature of the open source development philosophy, but the exact open source licence would determine whether it's legal or not.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 13:51   #22

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberg30Shill View Post
Paid version of OpenCPN??? It's open source! Does the licence allow someone to fork it for a new platform (Android) and sell it? That seems contrary to the nature of the open source development philosophy, but the exact open source licence would determine whether it's legal or not.
Open CPN "is available for Mac OSX, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, BSDs and Solaris". It is not available for Android. There are two versions of a port made for Android on the Google Play store; as waterman480 stated, "The 'free' version is based on 4.1 and will not be updated. The paid version is based on v 4.6.x, and will be updated".

The developer is not charging for OpenCPN per se, but rather for the port to Android and its associated plug ins and support.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
Open CPN "is available for Mac OSX, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, BSDs and Solaris". It is not available for Android. There are two versions of a port made for Android on the Google Play store; as waterman480 stated, "The 'free' version is based on 4.1 and will not be updated. The paid version is based on v 4.6.x, and will be updated".

The developer is not charging for OpenCPN per se, but rather for the port to Android and its associated plug ins and support.
I'm saying at best that is reselling code written by volunteers to be distributed freely and hopefully it breaks the licence. He should have volunteered his skills to the project as I'm sure his desire to run the software was his initial driver. Leaving an old unmaintained version up as a free version falls far short of how this should have come into existence.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:37   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Yep.

If one wants to know what a specific license allows and disallows, she can just read the license. The notion of 'the nature of the open source development philosophy' may in the end be only very loosely related to open source software.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_software

If one is bloody unhappy about the fact that there is a paid version, he can just grab the source code and compile her own OpenCPN on the platform of their choice.

;-)

Love to all developing, and consuming, world,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

OpenCPN is distributed under the GPLv2 license.

Here is some commentary from gnu.org that may be enlightening:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

Thanks for asking
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:53   #26

Quote:
OCPN is GPLv2 and it's absolutely fine to sell an Android version thereof. HOWEVER the source must be available ([1]) and/or be provided upon request ([2]).

Not sure if this is the case atm. At least on the google store description [3] I don't see a source link. (But I'm not an Android user and don't care...).

If the original author is the copyright holder he can do whatever he want's (i.e. is not bound by the GPL). However for this to work, all OCPN contributors would have (needed) to transfer their copyright to the original/main author (or allow to distribute the app under a non-gpl license).

[1]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-lic...cePostedPublic
[2]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-lic...ttenOfferValid
[3]: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pencpn.opencpn
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 13:21   #27

I have gladly paid to have it compiled and updated for android. This is certainly better than not having an android version and I do hope it continues to improve. Many thanks.
Old 10-09-2017, 00:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I have gladly paid to have it compiled and updated for android. This is certainly better than not having an android version and I do hope it continues to improve. Many thanks.
It's great that you contributed/paid for the app!

But this is orthogonal to the fact that the source code for a GPLv2 app MUST be provided upon request. And a bought (binary) app may legally be distributed to third parties. (Unless Dave Register, as lead developer, has the full copyright on all code contained in the Android app and is then of course not bound to the GPLv2 requirements.).
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:33   #29

Boat: BENETEAU

All,

There is so many ways to be part of the OpenCPN project (writing/correcting manuals, testing, answering questions, tracker/flyspray...), instead of arguing.

Thanks to bdbcat & others for their dedication and hard work.

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:15   #30

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
OCPN is GPLv2 and it's absolutely fine to sell an Android version thereof. HOWEVER the source must be available ([1]) and/or be provided upon request ([2]).
Have you requested the source code and been denied?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, opencpn