Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39   #31

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Plug Ins for Mac OSX

Right now, one problem is getting Sean a computer, maybe even several backup computers. For me, I don't care if it is a Mac, in some ways it would be better (for me) if it wasn't because his time would be more focused. Sean has made a generous offer to help optimize the MAC, so perhaps the MAC community could pool resources and get him a MAC. Meanwhile the rest of us should focus on getting him a computer...or two.

I looked into sending an old but recent computer... I have one but it is too old I think, it uses Vista. Anyway Fedex is way too expensive, US Postal goes to the Philipines and certain locations in the Philipines. To send via US Postal to Manilla would cost about $90 and take a week, however a special customs permit from Philippines Customs is required for a computer and that does not include software. If the permit is not obtained, there may be extra charges also there may be excise tax... Will software be a problem? Also a marina or physical address is needed and C/O Sean Depagnier. I don't know if US Customs would cause export problems with a laptop computer. So there are lots of questions about mailing a computer...
Can Sean get a permit to import a single laptop? (or perhaps several?)
Can Sean get a local marina address?
Who has a more recent [old] computer that they would be willing to send?
Is there a less expensive way to send a computer?

All this takes time, meanwhile Sean has no computer and is talking about soldering his raspberry pi to his CMOS chip, which could also damage his rapberry_pi...these are things I would not consider because I know little about it, but my suggestion is to act collectively and get him a computer.

I know all sailors are by nature skinflints, there are countless examples of that, but in this case I think OpenCpn believers and users should consider a donation of any size, the larger the better of course, and collectively we will get Sean back in business, (to our greater benefit) the sooner the better, before he fry's his raspberry_pi trying to solder his cmos!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:45   #32
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

The custom thing is why I would recommend to source PC a locally.
A brand new MAC Mini at Apple's Phillipine webshop (as reference) costs 490€. And no problems with transport and duties.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50   #33

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

BCN I agree with you, that the best way is to source locally. There are too many unhappy variables and complexities with sending an older PC.

I know of two contributions so far, but to get a PC or MAC and a backup one for Sean we're going to need between 8-15 contributors! So please help us all out, sooner rather than later.

Thanks BCN for your contribution.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:06   #34

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Please, no more posts that have nothing to do specifically with plug ins for mac osx. Private message or email only please.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2014, 12:59   #35

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Finally after several weeks I have been able to try the "private" version on my old Mac but unfortunately it refuses to open. This maybe due to the computer running Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.8) rather than a newer version.

I'll try to figure out a way to install it on my new machine without compromising my current installation and let everyone know how I get on.

Cheers

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 09:27   #36

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Gerhard,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have only recently had a chance to try to install your private version. I tried it on the old MacBook running 10.6 and it would not work and have not tried installing it on my new laptop as I am afraid of corrupting the current install I have on it.

Cheers

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 10:19   #37

Boat: Amel Sharki

It is compiled for Mavericks (10.9.2) and does not run with Snow Leopard.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 10:52   #38

Boat: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Gerhard,

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have only recently had a chance to try to install your private version. I tried it on the old MacBook running 10.6 and it would not work and have not tried installing it on my new laptop as I am afraid of corrupting the current install I have on it.

Cheers

Keiron
Out of curiosity I installed Gerhards version on my Macbook running mavericks. The installer renames the existing version to openCPN-alt.app. It still seems to run fine.

Unfortunately I understand no german so using Gerhards version is difficult. It does show the plugins available to windows users and the WMM plugin seems to work.

It would be nice to have these plugins available for the mainstream version!

foz
fozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 04:55   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozrunner View Post
Out of curiosity I installed Gerhards version on my Macbook running mavericks. The installer renames the existing version to openCPN-alt.app. It still seems to run fine.

Unfortunately I understand no german so using Gerhards version is difficult. It does show the plugins available to windows users and the WMM plugin seems to work.

It would be nice to have these plugins available for the mainstream version!

foz
I have uploaded a new version for Mavericks with several bugs fixed but still several bugs left: http://topperdiek.de/dl/OpenCPN-OSX.dmg
Since I am german it is only in german language, e.g. "East" is "Ost" and so on. Also the Mac help is only in german. 15 plugins are included.

If you install this version and have a version called OpenCPN-alt.app in your application folder, you should rename OpenCPN-alt.app before you install. Also your data in ~/Library/opencpn/ will be overwritten.

Gerhard
Old 30-03-2014, 06:56   #40
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

But Gerhard, the language dependent literals are not hard-coded, aren't they?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 07:51   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
But Gerhard, the language dependent literals are not hard-coded, aren't they?
Some are hardcoded because there is no opportunity for translations. For example the message "Copied log to log.log" or so comes up at early startup when no language file is loaded so far. There are some others like the Mac menus which does not exist in the official code. I also prefere "O" for "Ost" and not "E" for "East".
Also the Mac Help is in german. It does not launch any separate browser but the Mac help system.

Gerhard

I forgot another reason:
There is a problem since beginning with plugins with different language files for all the plugins. When there is already a term in the main code such a term with different meaning in a plugin is overwritten. This is a known fault since long time but nobody has solved this problem.

Tags
plug