Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 00:18   #391

Boat: Najad 34
Re: Plugin: DashBoard

Rick..
The VMG instrument is there but is not fed with data, except SOG.
There's a VMG to next WP in a route calculated and used for the "Navigate to here" function. That value could be used but in that case the WP-name may need to be added to the VMG instrument. That's because the VMG seems to be calculated for next active WP if that's shown in the Leg/Route dialog box but for the whole route if that's shown. Could be a perplexity.

Transmitterdan may have the knowledge to sort this out???

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:46   #392

Boat: Valiant 42

I can create pretty much any calculated parameter and feed it to the dashboard pi. This becomes something of a philosophical question about the design of the pi. Originally I believe the dashboard was intended to just take raw data provided via NMEA and display the values (possibly with units conversion). If we want dashboard to also create its own new values based on computations using other values we need to discuss how that should happen.

For example, should there be another plugin that sits between the NMEA stream and creates new parameters from NMEA data? This would have the benefit that new NMEA data created could be fed back out the NMEA stream and be available to not only dashboard but other displays as well. Or should dashboard just compute new values and that is the only place they are used.

I'm happy to work on dashboard to provide additional functionality. It would be nice to "clean up" dashboard as it has a lot of entropy from various inconsistent "hacks" made over the years. I would need a clear description of the needed new functionality and some patience.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:00   #393

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Dashboard Improvements - Cleanup

TransmitterDan what an awesome offer!

I'd like to help in whatever way possible.
I believe the original philosophy was Dashboard would only show the Nmea data stream and not "create" missing data. However for a Sailing Console and TacknLay we are finding that we need certain data that can be calculated for the plugins to work.
A. Those plugins themselves could do the calcs.
B. As you suggested an intermediate "Derived Data" plugin could provide the calcs.
C. Dashboard could do the calcs and show the data and optionally inject into the nmea data stream, provided the data was shown in a different color, as "derived".

Paul Elliot's NavMonPC is pretty good about data priority and options for calculation, it is worth a look at how he does it. Also I found a good pdf about NavMonPc data priorities that is worth reviewing whatever is decided.

I think the goals should be
1. To keep it simple and reliable for the user, with good instructions -but hopefully unnecessary.
2. Provide the data needed for motor and/or sail console in a useful format without too much real estate (size adjustible?)
3. Automatically sense if some data is not there, and prompt if you want it calculated (if possible)? Or some other kind of approach.
4. Try to consolidate information when possible and possible improve graphics.
5. Remove older unnecessary instruments possibly.

Thank you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NavMonPc NMEA Inputs and Priorities 1.0.pdf (303.9 KB, 70 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 13:58   #394

Transmitterdan...
Interesting and perspective discussions of you.
My view is that Dashboard is a very fine tool showing needed data in a clear way without graphical exaggerations steeling screen space. The code may have grown but it seems well based and even I can follow the basics.
Extensive calculations to view new data from present NMEA may in general be a job for a plugin but we already use Dashboard to calculate for example true heading using WMM_pi, don't we?

The VMG is probably not a pure Dashboard task. VMG can only be meaningful in combination with an active route. There is already a presentation of that calculation although not so visible. Maybe that's why someone prepared a "speedometer instrument" for VMG in Dashboard?
For a better visibility that instrument could be fed from routemanager but it then needs an description of the WP velocity is calculated for.

If another plugin, like "Tack and Laylines", needs the calculated VMG and its corresponding WP they can be fetched by a JSON message or similar?

Håkan
Old 08-04-2016, 16:18   #395

Quote:
My view is that Dashboard is a very fine tool showing needed data in a clear way without graphical exaggerations steeling screen space.
- Agreed, it is a fine tool, and there is no incrimination of those who have been working so hard on it! It is a vital and important tool that can be made even better. I believe there is some useful data that could be made into instruments.

Quote:
The code may have grown but it seems well based and even I can follow the basics.
I do not know C++. The part I did look through, I had some difficulty following.

Quote:
Extensive calculations to view new data from present NMEA may in general be a job for a plugin but we already use Dashboard to calculate for example true heading using WMM_pi, don't we?
So maybe we make it clear what data being presented is derived or calculated by use of a color or font style.

Quote:
The VMG is probably not a pure Dashboard task. VMG can only be meaningful in combination with an active route. There is already a presentation of that calculation although not so visible. Maybe that's why someone prepared a "speedometer instrument" for VMG in Dashboard?
For a better visibility that instrument could be fed from routemanager but it then needs an description of the WP velocity is calculated for.
I have not been able to get VMG working yet. I've tried "Navigate boat to here" and setting a route active, while feeding nmea data to OpenCPN via NavMonPc, but perhaps I have missed something in the simulation setup.

Quote:
If another plugin, like "Tack and Laylines", needs the calculated VMG and its corresponding WP they can be fetched by a JSON message or similar?
Sounds good, I am guessing Dashboard would have to be active with the instrument active?

So,is this true? There really is no hard and fast rule about calculations in Dashboard, and other individual plugins could do their own calcs or use something like JSON as appropriate.
Old 08-04-2016, 23:27   #396

Rick...
re:"I have not been able to get VMG working yet. I've tried "Navigate boat to here" and setting a route active, while feeding nmea data to OpenCPN via NavMonPc, but perhaps I have missed something in the simulation setup."

Here are some examples of VMG while playing "VDR-Hakefjord.txt" Works fine all times for me.

If the Dashboard VMG instrument will be used as a "time to tack" helper a second needle showing SOG (and STW?) will be of good help. There are some rules for when it's time to tack like "VMG is less then half the boat speed" so a needle (or why not scale gauges) instrument showing both would probably be very handy. But I'm not a raiser so others to judge.

Håkan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VMG_example.PNG
Views:	169
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	122287   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMG_example_1.PNG
Views:	152
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	122288  

Click image for larger version

Name:	VMG_example_-2.PNG
Views:	230
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	122289   Click image for larger version

Name:	VMG_speedometer.PNG
Views:	207
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	122290  

Old 09-04-2016, 05:46   #397

Yes Hakan, the VMG in the Active Route Console does work!

In your last screenshot VMG_speedometer.PNG (4 of 4) the Dashboard Instrument VMG shows SOG 4.9 knots and VMG is "0.0" and the boat is about opposite the Active Route WP - Mine shows "0.0" in the center too, but all the time, does yours?
--I'll try this again.

Had not heard of "VMG is less then half the boat speed". That might help..
STW = Speed thru Water.
SOG = Speed over Ground
There are different types of VMG, this one could be calld
VMGwp = Velocity Made Good to waypoint

Thanks for the feedback!
Some good VMG Links below
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_made_good
http://www.oceansail.co.uk/Articles/VMGArticle.php
https://76trombones.wordpress.com/20...-diagrams-vmg/
http://www.ockam.com/2013/06/03/what-is-vmg/
http://sail.navas.us/why-vmg-matters.html
http://www.sailtimerapp.com/VMG.html

Upwind, Target boat speed is an important indicator.
Also %Target Boat Speed.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:21   #398

Rick...
Again; The Dashboard VMG instrument is not functional since no data is connected to it, more than SOG in lower left corner. I showed it to emphasize my text.

The only place the routemanager VMG calculation is viewed is in the -Navigate a route- dialog box, the right side of my pictures.

Håkan
Old 14-04-2016, 15:57   #399

FS#2050 : Instr VMG (existing) Change name to "VMC" or "VMGwp"

FS#2051 : Instr VMG (New) Calculates "Speed achieved directly towards, or away from, the TWD"

FS#2052 : RM Active Route Console - Change "VMG" label to "VMC"

PS. I think "Terminology" should be moved from under Weather_Routing_pi to a top level location at the bottom of the User Manual.
Old 19-04-2016, 17:20   #400

A new Terminology Page has been created (& edited) below User Documentation. The page under Weather_routing still exists.
Terminology | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Old 19-04-2016, 22:34   #401

Boat: 10.50 mètres

hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
A new Terminology Page has been created (& edited) below User Documentation. The page under Weather_routing still exists.
Terminology | Official OpenCPN Homepage
Oh ! Very good idea.
Gilletarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 05:32   #402

Boat: Alberg 37

Rick:
Very good.
One minor correction required:
Heading (HDG)
- Compass direction in which the boat is pointed. The abbreviations HDT and HDT ....

Should one be HDM?

Roger
RogerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 06:35   #403

Roger, I will check this with some other reference material. Thank you.
My source may not have had nmea in mind.
I think we should try to keep this as standard as possible and HDM is certainly needed.
Old 22-04-2016, 09:57   #404

RogerD
Quote:
One minor correction required:
Heading (HDG)
- Compass direction in which the boat is pointed. The abbreviations HDT and HDT ....

Should one be HDM?
Thanks, fixed it. now have HDG, HDT, HDM and error is fixed.
Old 22-04-2016, 10:17   #405

Hakan wrote:
Quote:
Rick..
The VMG instrument is there but is not fed with data, except SOG.
There's a VMG to next WP in a route calculated and used for the "Navigate to here" function. That value could be used but in that case the WP-name may need to be added to the VMG instrument. That's because the VMG seems to be calculated for next active WP if that's shown in the Leg/Route dialog box but for the whole route if that's shown. Could be a perplexity.

Transmitterdan may have the knowledge to sort this out???
Rick wrote:
Quote:
FS#2050 : Instr VMG (existing) Change name to "VMC" or "VMGwp"

FS#2051 : Instr VMG (New) Calculates "Speed achieved directly towards, or away from, the TWD"

FS#2052 : RM Active Route Console - Change "VMG" label to "VMC"

These changes will then conform to the Terminology page and help to clarify/disambiguate the various meanings that VMG had inherited...!
--Discussion? TDan can you do this?