Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2023, 12:57   #571

Boat: Contest 38s
Re: Plugin: DashBoard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
That depends on your system.
On the boat I have Mint 19, 20 or 21
and here on my laptop I have Mint 19 I think

does the version make much difference?
Alicja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 13:05   #572

Boat: Najad 34

No, I was more referring to the Nav devices, like the GPS receiver where you expect to have the log data. Is that device sending the PGN mentioned? Maybe check the manual?
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 13:17   #573

Quote:
No, I was more referring to the Nav devices, like the GPS receiver where you expect to have the log data. Is that device sending the PGN mentioned? Maybe check the manual?

The openCPN takes GPS info from NMEA2000 network via the NMEA-WiFi gateway, it works OK. I can see the position. I'm sorry, I'm the navigator, not the programist. I'm looking for help in this particular issue. I can do a lot of things even if I don't understand them, but I need to be told what to do.
Old 26-02-2023, 13:28   #574

The first is to add the log instruments to OCPN Dashboard e.g. as of my picture. Any data there?
If not check the manual for the GPS receiver device. Does it use PGN 128275?
Old 26-02-2023, 13:34   #575

Quote:
The first is to add the log instruments to OCPN Dashboard e.g. as of my picture. Any data there?
I will check it tomorrow when I am on the boat. Your picture is not attached, could you email it to me info (at) marthella.pl ?
Old 26-02-2023, 17:50   #576

A few things to note here.

Alicja states that the NMEA 2000 data is being converted by a WiFi gateway and then consumed by OpenCPN.

While the current beta of OpenCPN & the Dashboard does directly consume PGN 128275, it seems in this case Alicja is connecting OpenCPN via WiFi and NMEA 183.

First thing to check is if there is indeed a source for PGN 128275. Log Data is not normally generated by a GPS Receiver, nor a Speed Log, but usually from a Chartplotter or Instrument Display. This can be checked by reviewing the manuals for the devices on board, or if possible, monitoring the NMEA 2000 traffic on the WiFi gateway to confirm whether PGN 128275 messages are being generated.

Second thing to check is whether the NMEA 2000 Gateway is converting PGN 128275 to a VLW NMEA 183 sentence. There may be a configuration option to enable this.

Finally check if OpenCPN is receiving a VLW sentence and whether the Dashboard has been configured to display the log.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 02:11   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
A few things to note here.
While the current beta of OpenCPN & the Dashboard does directly consume PGN 128275, it seems in this case Alicja is connecting OpenCPN via WiFi and NMEA 183.

There's no NMEA 183, only NMEA2000.

And now my electrician says:

There's no PGN for log data,

because there's no log device (no mechanical equipment like this https://marcinpalacz.pl/wp-content/g...g/IMG_1908.JPG)

and
because each ploter (Garmin) or nav.computer (openCPN) calculates both the speed and sailed miles, itself, based on GPS data (from the past and present).

The speed is being shown properly, and the recorded track is being shown properly (route, time, average speed, number of miles after the trip recording has finished).

This suggests that the Dashbord cannot proceed? calculate? show? the GPS-based data of log (trip log, sum log), but the openCPN has it.

If the software is able to show "recorded 10 Nm" after all, so what is the problem, to show "recorded 1Nm", "recorded 1.1Nm", "recorded 1.2Nm".... etc succesively before. This is what we call log.
- that's what he has said.

Maybe there's no possibility that Dashboard's "sum log" can use the gps data, and it is able only to show the PGN from the physical device from the network?
Is it a big challenge for the programists of openCPN to make a GPS-log showing the current recorded track lenght -> working on the same data that is used by CPN while recording the voyage?
- these are my questions.
Old 27-02-2023, 03:10   #578

Boat: Phantom 19

Dashboard is showing data from the data feed, by design. You have nothing sending log data, it is not shown in the dashboard.
Record a track and look at it's length if you want to know the distance you sailed.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 03:57   #579

Alisja..
That was another question.
To complete the info from nohal it may be you'd like the plugin Odometer_pi available for OCPN version 5.6.2.
Not yet available for beta test of coming O 5.8.
Old 27-02-2023, 05:13   #580

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Dashboard is showing data from the data feed, by design. You have nothing sending log data, it is not shown in the dashboard.
Record a track and look at it's length if you want to know the distance you sailed.
But there is no log (device) and I see the speed! So it is calculated from GPS data, there's no other possibility. I mean the same to the log (trip or sum).
Old 27-02-2023, 05:14   #581

Quote:
Alisja..
That was another question.
To complete the info from nohal it may be you'd like the plugin Odometer_pi available for OCPN version 5.6.2.
Not yet available for beta test of coming O 5.8.
Thank you! I will try it! I have 5.5 I think
Old 27-02-2023, 05:37   #582

Some Chartplotters generate PGN 128275 (Distance Log), some do not. Unfortunately it seems as though your Garmin chartplotter doesn't. A quick look at a Garmin GPS Map owners manual revealed that it does not transmit the NMEA 2000 PGN 128275 message nor a NMEA 183 VLW sentence.

Your best bet is to install the GPS Odometer plugin which will create total and trip log data from your GPS position data.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 07:35   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Some Chartplotters generate PGN 128275 (Distance Log), some do not. Unfortunately it seems as though your Garmin chartplotter doesn't. A quick look at a Garmin GPS Map owners manual revealed that it does not transmit the NMEA 2000 PGN 128275 message nor a NMEA 183 VLW sentence.

Your best bet is to install the GPS Odometer plugin which will create total and trip log data from your GPS position data.

You mean that openCPN cannot work separately on the boat, as the only chartplotter (without another chartplotter)?

I will try this GPS Odometer thank you!
It translates GPS data and put them to the Dashboard, or is a separate plugin in a separate window?
Old 27-02-2023, 07:38   #584

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicja View Post
I may test it. I have another GPS sum log in another device, so I can use both and compare the results. I'm sailing about 5-6 thousand miles a year, so it would be enough to test, I hope.

Sure I can confirm, if you tell me how to check it.
The values for log and sum log do not come from a GPS. They come from a through water log (knot meter). In OpenCPN they are NMEA0183 (for now, not sure about the beta version of Ocpn) The sum log is "summed" in the meter itself, and both values only displayed by OCPN.

So, depending on your boat setup, the NMEA2000 data would need to be converted to NMEA0183, and the relevant 2000 PGN's converted to the correct 0183 sentences. With most NMEA2000 to wifi or USB devices, this should all happen by default without any setup. I use it with both an actisense and yacht devices converters.

I don't imagine any chartplotter generates the log and sum log data, either 2000 or 0183. By definition, the data is through water, and AFAIK all speed though water knot meters will generate it as part of their function. GPS pucks would probably be nmea0183, and certainly do not generate that data.

On my boat with Raymarine instruments on a NMEA2000 bus, log and sum log both jus work with no hassle or configuration. With the exception that sum log seems to break and then be fixed again in every other ocpn realease.
Old 27-02-2023, 07:43   #585

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicja View Post
But there is no log (device) and I see the speed! So it is calculated from GPS data, there's no other possibility. I mean the same to the log (trip or sum).
Speed through water and Speed over ground are different values with different meanings. By definition, log is distance through the water. While a GPS can display or calculate the speed over ground or distance over ground traveled, but it cannot generate a log or sum log.