Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 00:35   #1

[Plugin] How to start developping a plugin

Hello,

I am currently to develop a new plugin. The goal of this plugin is to be able to still have the boat icon moving on the map when there is no GPS, using the speed and COG user enters. The boat would move periodically according to these values and trackpoints would be added as well in another color.

I read OpenCPN's documentation about developing plugins. I also fetched the sources of OpenCPN and built it from source on Linux. I also fetched various plugins (DR_pi and watchdog_pi) and was able to modify and build from sources the watchdog_pi plugin and to see it on opencpn.

I also noticed the build process set up by jongough, which looks great regarding how plugin should be build / tested using CI and I would like to use it as part of my plugin development.

I am now trying to start my own plugin development. I fear to struggle starting from zero to reach the pointt o have a windows built, and was considering starting from the watchdog_pi I am already able to tweak. What do you think about that ? Is there somewhere a "Hello World" plugin project I should start from instead ?

Please do not hesitate to move this post if it is not in the right place, this my first post in this community.

Charles
thousand_sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 04:25   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: [Plugin] How to start developping a plugin

Before you invest to much time.......

Have a look at the ship driver plugin.
https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=opencpnpencpn_user_manualluginst her:shipdriver

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 04:35   #3

Hello Cagney,

Thank you for the reply, indeed this looks really interesting as a base project for what I would like to do !
thousand_sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 09:10   #4

thousand_sunny...

I would leave the jongough side until you have a plugin doing what you want, compiled in the traditional fashion.

Mike
Rasbats is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, opencpn, plug, plugin