Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 13:01   #1

Portable OCPN routes?

The Portable capability works great except that it doesn't seem to carry the routes. Loading it on a virgin computer shows no routes which had to be loaded from a .gpx file...no big deal. But when a route was added on one computer it did not carry to a second computer? Am I missing something?

And what is the wvsdata file?....couldn't find it.

OCPN is a great effort and much appreciated. It makes Raymarine's somewhat expensive Voyage Planner look like something I might create...barely to first base.

Thanks, Bruce
bhcva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:18   #2

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch
Re: Portable OCPN routes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcva View Post
The Portable capability works great except that it doesn't seem to carry the routes. Loading it on a virgin computer shows no routes which had to be loaded from a .gpx file...no big deal. But when a route was added on one computer it did not carry to a second computer? Am I missing something?

And what is the wvsdata file?....couldn't find it.

OCPN is a great effort and much appreciated. It makes Raymarine's somewhat expensive Voyage Planner look like something I might create...barely to first base.

Thanks, Bruce
I create a folder on the USB stick for Routes, Anchorages and Waypoints. You can copy any of these items from any computer into this folder, create any item and export to this folder on the USB stick. They will remain there for any other computer you use the portable version with. Any of these that you create on the portable version can be exported to the computer as well.

Haven't seen the wsdata file. Where do you see it?

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 06:27   #3

Terry...The wsvdata file is one the manual calls for transferring to the usb stick...just can't find it, but everything seems to work without it?

Have you created or modified a route on one computer and have the mods show up on a second computer without an intermediary action....maybe using the .gpx export/import to transfer changes to routes on the usb stick?

I have all the routes in a .gpx file on the stick, but would love to be able to modify/add routes without having to export the changes and then remember to import the changes when I go to the second computer.

Thx, Bruce
Old 22-05-2013, 07:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

bhcva....

wvsdata relates to the WorldVectorShoreline model. This is not used in OpenCPN Version 3.2 and above, so may be safely ignored.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 18:32   #5

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Terry...The wsvdata file is one the manual calls for transferring to the usb stick...just can't find it, but everything seems to work without it?

Have you created or modified a route on one computer and have the mods show up on a second computer without an intermediary action....maybe using the .gpx export/import to transfer changes to routes on the usb stick?

I have all the routes in a .gpx file on the stick, but would love to be able to modify/add routes without having to export the changes and then remember to import the changes when I go to the second computer.

Thx, Bruce
Bruce,

No worries on the 'wsvdata' file .. the manual hasn't caught up. Just copy everything in the OpenCPN folder less the uninstall.exe which isn't needed.

Yes, you can use a folder on the USB stick to be the central repository of the routes, anchorages and tracks. You can, if you like, export from there to a computer to which you are connected. Also, creating any of those on any computer can be exported to the USB stick. I also have my library of charts on the stick and all seems to work well.

HTH, Tery
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 08:15   #6

dbdcat....Apparently the routes and changes thereto are maintained in the c/doc&settings/allusers/appdata/opencpn area in the navobj and related files.

How can I point my portable opencpn to those files on my USB stick....just moving them there doesn't work.

Appreciate your help and leading efforts on opencpn.

Bruce
Old 23-05-2013, 08:17   #7

Val...thanks. I want to avoid having to export them. There has to be a way to put the appropriate fines on the stick.

Bruce
Old 23-05-2013, 08:17   #8

whoops....files
Old 23-05-2013, 08:30   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Val...thanks. I want to avoid having to export them. There has to be a way to put the appropriate fines on the stick.

Bruce
Would dropbox work? I've only just discovered the symlink addon - Dropbox Folder Sync addon [Official Page]

I'm looking to do similar between different machines with konni logbook files.

Haven't tried it even with a normal installation, might work. Will have a play tonight. Need to be careful not to sync log files & config files etc I would imagine.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 12:49   #10
Marine Service Provider

bhcva....

Routes, waypoints, and tracks live in the file called navobj.xml. There is no system or directory dependence for this file. It is portable.

It may be simply copied into the portable directory of the target system, as with the other data files. In portable mode, navobj.xml is automatically loaded, and cannot be so accessed from a directory or device other than that which contains the opencpn exe file.

Alternatively, navobj.xml is a simple gpx file, and may be manually imported from anywhere.

Does this serve?
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 13:52   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
I just gave it a go and it seems to work OK. 4GB usb stick with opencpn loaded, fire it up from the opencpn.bat file, make a route, exit then fire it up on another laptop and the route is there. (win7 on both) Route visible in the navobj.xml file in the root directory of the usb drive - sounds different from your experience Dunno, sorry.

The dropbox symlink thing seems to work ok so far though, with plugins/logbook/data happy to read from a symlink to dropbox (konni logbook file).

Syncing up navobj.xml between computers via dropbox might be a bit trickier though, the dropbox plugin seems to just let you sync folders, opencpn.ini is in the same directory as navobj.xml, syncing the .ini file between different computers might lead to a whole load of pain...

All good fun though
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 05:09   #12

Thanks Dave...it's what I wanted to hear, but it's not working. Conachair seems to be having better luck.

I moved (win 8) all the files to the stick and that didn't work. I renamed all the C ocpn files and then even the ocpn folder on C, but ocpn re-created the files (chrtlist, navobj, navobj.xml, config, txt). I then deleted ocpn from my xp netbook and used the stick there. Same thing. Any route created is always put on C. Same thing on a virtual win 7 system on my win8 laptop.
The only difference between my activities and Conchair's is that I start ocpn from the stick by clicking the ocpn.exe, not a bat file???

To create the stick I copied all the files from my win8 system. Perhaps there is some residue in one of the files that should not be there?....seems unlikely.

I appreciate the time you've taken to help....thanks.

Bruce
Old 24-05-2013, 05:38   #13

Boat: Phantom 19

Bruce...

Then it's obvious - you are not starting it in portable mode so it behaves as if it was installed normally. It must be run with the -p switch to behave the portable way.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2013, 06:38   #14

Thanks Nohal...it occurred to me as I was responding to bdbcat. Sorry for the confusion all.

Bruce
Old 27-05-2013, 04:17   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Best buy Pyn 8gb Usb $5. Incredible. Could not resist. How stable is this storage?

Instructions Portable OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage

bdcat:
Quote:
Routes, waypoints, and tracks live in the file called navobj.xml. There is no system or directory dependence for this file. It is portable. copied into the portable directory of the target system, as with the other data files. In portable mode, navobj.xml is automatically loaded, and cannot be so accessed from a directory or device other than that which contains the opencpn exe file. Alternatively, navobj.xml is a simple gpx file, and may be manually imported from anywhere.
nohal:
Quote:
Start in portable mode so it behaves as if it was installed normally. It must be run with the -p switch to behave the portable way,[ ie using Usb opencpn.exe directory for saving navobj.xml -routes].
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote